Yamaha AHM bass rack toms mount screws getting in the way of my tom rims

Anyone else have this problem when adjusting the positions of the rack toms. Seems Yamaha could have placed the screws facing outward instead of inward toward the tom rims

If you're talking about this (and the wing bolt is facing rearward), just flip it around 180 degrees. I've owned 3 RC's, currently have a 9000 series, and a Manu Katche Jr. kit, and all of those have forward facing wing bolts.

Attachments

• yamaha bass drum tom mount bracket.jpg
    yamaha bass drum tom mount bracket.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2
I think he means the wing nuts on the triple tree...
Yes, I am talking about the triple tree. When I slant my 12" tom toward me the bottom rim hits the wing nut on the right tube that allows me to raise or lower the tube. I hope that is clear. I took a picture with my phone and saved it to my desktop but when I tried to attach the photo it said it was too big. I can set it where it does not have to hit it but then I cant get the range of slant I want necessarily.

This is the first time I've heard of this problem, so it makes me think you must have some extreme angles.
Indeed. Yamaha's been using this system since (at least) 1978. First time I've ever heard of this type of issue with it.
The wing nuts are fixed on the triple tree housing and are rearward facing. They can not be rotated.
Like this ....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 20
It's definitely correctable. I experienced the same thing a few times until I stumbled across the correct ratio between the heights of the individual ball mounts and the triple tom holder itself.

I was going to suggest rotating the mount as an alternative solution but then you lose the ability to use that third hole to mount a cymbal arm or accessory. No big deal if you never planned to use it, of course.

I was going to suggest rotating the mount as an alternative solution but then you lose the ability to use that third hole to mount a cymbal arm or accessory. No big deal if you never planned to use it, of course.
I still wonder why the wings and the rims are so close the other way. On examining it again if I raise the tube high enough it would probably give me enough clearance but then the tubes seem like they would be too high. I'll talk to other pros in the area and see what they think too.

I still wonder why the wings and the rims are so close the other way. On examining it again if I raise the tube high enough it would probably give me enough clearance but then the tubes seem like they would be too high. I'll talk to other pros in the area and see what they think too.
Here's another solution, perhaps. Raise the triple tree. Load in the tom arms upside down. Memory locks go on top of the triple tree.

Attachments

• yamaha inverted tom holders a.jpg
    yamaha inverted tom holders a.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 9
  • yamaha inverted tom holders b.jpg
    yamaha inverted tom holders b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

You could also drop the tubes down which will buy you some more room, I think. Just keep at it and you'll find the right combination.

Come to think of it, sliding the toms down to the end of the hex rods might help too - just make sure that you leave enough hex rod inserted to clamp onto so that you don't drop a tom on top of your kick drum :unsure:

On the 2 rehearsal kits : birch custom, I had the same issue, the wing were really close and fiddling with the wing nuts was not practical. It’s the rehearsal studio kits so I don’t care, and I guess that with a bit more time to experiment, it would have worked. Still, to my non-Yamaha user eyes, it doesn’t seem that logical to stick the wing nuts towards the toms and not outward.
I angle the Tom a bit, nothing out of the ordinary, and even if it doesn’t touch the rim, the wing nuts are really close, up to touch one struck.

Rotating the Tom tree the way Harry Conway showed in this thread is a good idea.

Last edited:
Back