Yamaha 100th anniversaty.. worth pursuing?

I play a 20" bass drum with my Yamaha toms (10x10, 12x10) and it does, indeed, sound really good. :)

I know there's a disdain for the 9 and 10 inch deep toms, and I'm mostly of the same mindset, but those depth Yamaha toms can, and usually do, sound really good. And especially if you like a big decay Doooooom! I'd definitely play the deeper toms with a 20 BD.

Yeah, found some more info.. birch with outer maple.. I offered him 2500 and he might actually take it, comes with zljidians and stands also.. so.. could be a decent setup, i just need to raise my throne to ringo levels:)
One of only 10 ever made? Well I'm impressed!

Goes without saying but 22", 20", 18" - every two inches you go down in BD size you pick up in lowering the toms. I pay 13x9 rack toms over 18 inch bass drums and am very comfortable.

What kind of sound do those have? I’ve never heard a carbon fiber kit in-person.

Very direct, bright and really loud. It is really a collector piece now and was my white whale for many years.

Those are some deep toms. Modern kits allow for better positioning, and so those tall sizes are usually a turn-off for anyone just looking to buy a functional kit. Probably, many would-be buyers will pass for that reason.

80's "power toms" are either loved or hated. This kit will appeal to those 80's teens who saw their heroes play one & live vicariously through this.
I'd be all over it as I'm one of those teens, but I see how many will not.
The days of needing that kind of depth are long gone (unless you're Vinnie Paul) and that finish makes it a home queen.

Do it! ? ?

so... been awhile but i finally got the guy to sell the kit to me... a buddy is picking them up monday morning :) Sucks i only have 1 arm for like 6 more months but gives me time to polish em up...

P.S. more interested in hearing the 80's zildjians that are with it... Kinda loving my old drums right now...

P.P.S. $2500 for everything.. hardware, cymbals and all... i'm pretty happy... first good thing in months :)

Last edited:
Very cool!!!!

Congratulations!

Make sure you share them on the Yamaha groups on FB too.

Very cool!!!!

Congratulations!

Make sure you share them on the Yamaha groups on FB too.

Groups like these are the only reasons I briefly reconsider rejoining Facebook.

A friend went and got them for me today :) Actually in better shape thank i thought.. looks like the hoops/lugs will polish right up, no pitting or bad stuff.. tim legs are iffy... more pics later.. I got a few months before i can use mr arm... time to make em like new :)

P.S. Holy birdseye!

P.P.S. if i switch from my DW's i'm gonna miss those fine thread tension rods :(
2021-06-19 11.22.23.jpg

Y
A friend went and got them for me today :) Actually in better shape thank i thought.. looks like the hoops/lugs will polish right up, no pitting or bad stuff.. tim legs are iffy... more pics later.. I got a few months before i can use mr arm... time to make em like new :)

P.S. Holy birdseye!

P.P.S. if i switch from my DW's i'm gonna miss those fine thread tension rods :(
View attachment 105531
You will notice these hardly go out of tune and you have less turns to make.

And that comes from someone who shwitched from Yamaha to DW.

so... seems taking apart and polishing an entire drumkit will take weeks.. took apart the 10" last night.. Seems every piece of chrome has pitting.. it's small but it's there... seriously bummed :( not a scratch in the shells.. and i was surprisedd the inside is the same birdseye. Only thing i am not sure if i want to do is, the finish over the years has yellowed to almost a light amber. where it took the lugs off is SUPER brght white, I might try rubbing out the shell to see if i can get it back but i think it's the clear coat that's changed color.. No big thing just deciding if i wanna do that much work :)

A bit of buyer remorse right now. but i'm like that with everything...
Having a hard time cleaning up the 100th anv. badges also.. afraid of makin any of the ink come off..

so... seems taking apart and polishing an entire drumkit will take weeks.. took apart the 10" last night.. Seems every piece of chrome has pitting.. it's small but it's there... seriously bummed :( not a scratch in the shells.. and i was surprisedd the inside is the same birdseye. Only thing i am not sure if i want to do is, the finish over the years has yellowed to almost a light amber. where it took the lugs off is SUPER brght white, I might try rubbing out the shell to see if i can get it back but i think it's the clear coat that's changed color.. No big thing just deciding if i wanna do that much work :)

A bit of buyer remorse right now. but i'm like that with everything...
Having a hard time cleaning up the 100th anv. badges also.. afraid of makin any of the ink come off..

I think the yellowed light amber color would look better than the original bright white, considering the birds eye wood pattern.
I'd leave it yellowed as long as the yellowing is uniform around all of the drum shells. Amber birds eye would be beautiful !

I think the yellowed light amber color would look better than the original bright white, considering the birds eye wood pattern.
I'd leave it yellowed as long as the yellowing is uniform around all of the drum shells. Amber birds eye would be beautiful !

Yeah, it's even inside and out... will post a pic when i get home.. Might just clean/wax and put back together...

Wish i could find someone with a horde of yammy lugs cheap :) they add up fast

Keep it as it is.

Replacing all the lugs would cost you a fortune only to end ut with pitting most likely again.

It is even more affordable to have all the chrome replated but even that isn’t without risk.

The yellowing has happened over decades too, no way you get that the same without loosing the top coat which protects the shells so well (I dare to say the best protection of all the brands out there)

Clean it, play it, enjoy it!

got the 10 inch done.. took bout 5 hours in total.. used a rubbing wheel to clean up the finish and then some wax and polished all the chrome as well as i could.. The 100th anv badges are a pain.. the wheel didn't take off any writing, but did make the gold a little less gold, i will be removing them for now on and hand polishing :(
I brought the snare into work today to start one, the wires are in good shape other than corrosion, nothing bad but a thin layer which will deaden them, was curious if anyone has ideas for cleaning them? soak in something?

2021-06-21 17.44.19.jpg
2021-06-21 18.11.01.jpg

2021-06-21 19.49.03.jpg

I love how good the bearing edges are.. they make my DW's look like a kid did them with a butterknife..
2021-06-21 19.44.45.jpg

Stunning 😍

Try a coca cola (bot the cheap knock off) bath for the badges, wires, and the hardware.

Then after a day brush it off with a tooth brush.

Ended up being moot, just took a look at the snare and the wires on it seem to be for a 15" the end plates on the wires are overhanging the drumitself.. so... will order some wires after doing research, i have bought Puresounds a few times but haven't liked them once..
2021-06-22 09.17.55.jpg

I think the naturally aged maple looks great. Like others have said, I’d just stick to cleaning them up as best you can and enjoy them. Sparkling new out of the box is great and all, but a naturally aged wood finish has mojo.

If you decide not to keep them, let me know. I'm VERY interested.
Naw, i think this will be my lifetime set... at the end of the day... i have recording customs :) Which is pretty much my dream (unless SQ2's fall into my lap)
K.. so if anyone that knows yammy stuff sees this.. I haven't seen a throw like this before, it has a roller for the wire cable to ride on, but it has an adjustment that just makes no sense to me? (the 2 screws on the roller asembly)

2021-06-22 10.07.24.jpg

Back