x hats

warrier1

I have a question on the x hats I see alot of guys using them Dennis Chambers Jojo Mayer, i see he has 2 or 3 sometimes, but watching some of there videos, they never use them, when would you use them, would they fit in for blues rock bands. Thks for your help.

I like putting a set of 13" hats next to my ride on the right. I set them to be partly open, almost sloshy. I like to groove on them hard and open-handed in verses. I find it easier to play a double bass accent when I am playing open-handed.

Sometimes I also keep a splash or trashformer on a high-hat x so I can change stuff out really quickly. It's a great accessory post.

I think x hats are really good for multiple sounds AND good for double bass. I think AAX 13" Xcelerators are perfect for x hats!

They just give you "another" voice in your kit. I ran 15" Paiste 2002 mains, and Sabian 14" x-hat position, for years. Really nice if you get into 2 handed pattern stuff. (main, x, ride mixes), also good if you wanna change the verse to chorus thang without digging into the ride cymbal.

they just give you more sounds, if you can set up with 3 crashes, 2 rides, a splash and a big 'ol china - then why not an extra pair of hats?
how about these (top / bottom) ;

12" AAX Splash / 12" AAX O-zone Splash

12" AA Splash / 12" AA Mini China

12" HHX Evoloution Splash (top and bottom)

or if you need a bigger sound, these...

16" AAX Bright Crash / 16" AAX Metal Crash

16" HHX Studio Crash / 16" HHX Power Crash

16" APX O-zone Crash (top and bottom)

i'm thinking about trying this combo for myself...

16" HH Duo Crash / 16" HH Medium Thin Crash

and i just pulled these outta Sabians book cause i know them, just remember - there are no rules!

Last edited:
Back