Wynton Marsalis: When I Joined Art Blakey's Band

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Wynton Marsalis: When I Joined Art Blakey's Band

984b1e9f86c648ec2d62a123663c4e73.jpg

"I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when I joined Art Blakey's band, I hadn't even listened to Art Blakey's records. I was just playing scales on chords - I didn't know you were supposed to construct a solo."

Source: The Wynton Marsalis Interview, by Howard Mandel, Down Beat, July 1984

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

I thought he sounded pretty good. :) Wynton, Branford and my Harmony I teacher from Berklee, Bill Pierce were the horn section. They all were great and Art was awesome.

This was probably around 82 or 83.

Chris

It similarly tripped me out to read Jeff Watts mentioning that he had only been playing jazz for a couple of years when he started making records with the Marsalises. But I feel like that's the way it's supposed to be-- you're supposed to be thrust into the professional world semi-prepared. I think this current deal with people (myself included) doing massive amounts of studying is just a result of there not being much employment, so there's nothing else to do. It would be a lot better for everyone just to be playing.

I, too, thought Wynton sounded good with Art Blakey. I wish the two (three?) albums that band recorded at Keystone Korner were available on MP3.

Best, skf

Back