Wuhan ORA Review

Bda

Hello all,

Information on this set of cymbals was hard to come by when i was looking and there were some concerning things I found in these reviews that I can comment on (specifically the high frequencies). Came with 14" hh, 16" and 18" crashes, and 20" ride and I got them new for $169 free shipping on sale. I imagine it's a tough year for the brand...
For reference, my situation is my drum set is in the basement with drum tec real feel mesh heads. I play while my baby and wife are asleep on the second floor. Subflooring on the first but not on the second floor. I lived in apartments for a while so I will also comment on how they will perform for those volume restrictions as well.

Volume: The cymbals are definitely not as quiet as the Zildjian L80s. Although I don't own L80s and Sabian Quiet Tones, I tried them at a store and based on that short experience I can say for sure that the L80s are noticeably quieter. I would say the ORAs are in the range of the Sabian Quiet Tones as far as volume.

They were slightly too loud for my needs, so I put moon gels on the ping of each cymbal and three on the hi hat. The ride can build up and the moon gel does the job perfectly subduing that. If you need quieter, you can move the moon gel closer to the edge and put on as many as you need. With one on the edge of the cymbals, they were pretty dead and had only a small amount of decay. I wish I could do a side by side comparison, but I would say with the moon gel it is still slightly louder than the L80s because the L80s seem to feel softer/thinner when hit. the stick nose is louder on the ORAs. The hi hat is the loudest but controlled with three moon gels in particular spots (I'll get into that later). I like this because I can make the ORAs quieter but you can't make the L80s louder.

My wife can hear them on the first floor, but can't hear them on the second floor. Passes the 2nd floor baby test and, more crucially, the sleeping, pregnant, working mother test. No test has higher stakes. If I no longer post, know that I have failed that test but that my life was good.

If you are in an apartment and are excessively conscious of your noise like I am, then go for the L80s. The ORAs would be more than fine in an apartment with moon gels if you are playing during the day and aren't slamming.

Feel: They feel great. Nice and heavy for a practice cymbal. They feel less like practice cymbals than the L80s and that goes a long way for me.

Tone: The high pitch is definitely there but I found a fix. Only problematic cymbal was the hi hat. I felt that the other post about it injuring their hearing was excessive until I played for a couple hours. At that point I would have to agree that it gets painful even with 3 moon gels. When I put a gel on the ping on the hi hat in the position closest to me, it completely fixed the ringing (see picture). No idea how that worked but it completely resolved the problem.

The sound is much better than the L80s at the expense of volume, of course.

Conclusion: I would definitely get this exact set again if I had to make the decision again. Very cheap and can get pretty quiet. They feel closer to a real set of cymbals which was important to me. I would say you only need the quietness of the L80s if you are going to play at night or if it you are overly conscious of your noise.

EDIT: To say the high frequencies are completely resolved is a bit too optimistic. The painful frequencies are gone, but you are still left with some high frequencies that would be nice if they were diminished to match the volume of the rest of the cymbals. It's close enough that I would say there should be a fix.

Attachments

• 20210301_130427.jpg
    20210301_130427.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

vyacheslav

Thank you for this! I was wondering about these. This really helps and I'm sure others will benefit from this review too. Thank you!!!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
My wife can hear them on the first floor, but can't hear them on the second floor. Passes the 2nd floor baby test and, more crucially, the sleeping, pregnant, working mother test. No test has higher stakes. If I no longer post, know that I have failed that test but that my life was good.

I like this! :LOL:

Wuhan makes the best chinas IMO and I'd suspect these would be no different in terms of quality. Seems the market for low volume cymbals is good & the only difference is how thick they make them & of what material.

I say keep on keeping on & as long as you're still with us, then all is well...