Wuhan cymbals

Squirrel Man

Anyone use Wuhan crash's? I've only used their china's and I'm 4 hours from the nearest music store so I can't readily sample one.

I have a couple of K's and using a Meinl low-end crash and it doesn't stand up much and I'm thinking of adding a Wuhan because I don't want to drop more coin on another K or something in the two fiddy range.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you do, by all means please give an honest review. I've been curious about their non-china offerings for some time now. Seems like possibly an affordable way to get some quality sounds.

My guess is they are just like any cymbal maker, you will find some gems and some trash amongst their wares.

Old Dog new Cans

I like my wuhan splashes. 8 and 10 I believe. I also have a 12" wuhan china. Still on the fence, I need to slap a little gaff tape on it. Considering their price, I wouldn't stress it too much.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
They're tricky to review. Because they're hand made there is a ton of variation from cymbal to cymbal.

In general they're a bit glassy due to the brilliant finish, yet the tone is on the dark side of the spectrum and they have a fair amount of that Chinese-trashy roar to their tone. I have a couple splashes but the crashes and rides don't do it for me.

Since playing in person is out of the question I'd try to listen to as many different sound samples as you can find. It should give you a better idea of the possible range of sounds you might end up with.

Squirrel Man

I ordered a 12in splash and 16in medium crash. For a hundred bucks it's not a big sweat. The K's I have now sound fine but I have a low end crash and splash in between them. The splash is ok but the crash is like deadwood.

I'll post a review when I get them.

Squirrel Man

So they came in today, amazingly fast too along with my Remo black dot snare head that I ordered a week earlier.

Had a Board meeting tonight and didn't get home until late (I'm on the west coast). Mounted the dot and put the cymbals in their spots, going to whack the hell out of them tomorrow.

Just tapping them so far, both do sound gongy but not in a bad way so far but I haven't played them. I'm figuring a lot of sustain just tapping around on them and the others, not in a bad way so far but it's like 8 here now and I can't get into any real testing not risking a domestic dispute. :p

Squirrel Man

ok played the Wuhan cymbals - review.

Both were polished finish, 12 inch splash and 16 inch crash.

So the splash, has a lot more sustain to it, not the quick "psh" you get from most splashes. Sounds a little trashy but not in a bad way but it's not really a splash in the traditional sense, more like another crash but fainter if that makes sense. I like it so far but I'm going to keep the brass splash I have for now and mount them both.

The crash is pretty good, I kept hitting it and the dark K 16 inch crash I have and they really sound similar. It has sustain and attack like the K, just slightly different. For 60 bucks or whatever I paid for it, that's a good deal if it holds up and doesn't crack or warp. So I guess if you're willing to gamble it give it a try, as an alternative to a 300 buck cymbal. I wouldn't hesitate at this point to get another one, 18 inch maybe but I've spent enough for now on stuff lol

Squirrel Man

Bonus review - 18 inch Wuhan China also, it's glorious. Not much sustain but that's ideal I think. I used to play a polished 18 inch Zildjian China way back and it held on a bit longer than I liked. The Wuhan just blasts a note of total garbage can lid, lots of initial attack and fades fast. I could hit that all day and again for like 60 bucks or whatever, as long as it holds up, not a bad deal so far.

Double bonus review - Remo controlled sustain clear black dot snare head. Likes: I hear more of the wood of my snare and it gives the sound kind of an earthy tone which I like a lot so far. I can hear more wood tone rather than crack from the Ambassador I had on there. I like that a lot and I noticed the snares don't buzz at all when hitting toms.

Dislike: Don't get the bounce off of it like I did from the coated head, I have to roll the corners of the head to get that. The dot deadens the bounce a little.

Reactions: iCe

iCe

Bonus review - 18 inch Wuhan China also, it's glorious. Not much sustain but that's ideal I think. I used to play a polished 18 inch Zildjian China way back and it held on a bit longer than I liked. The Wuhan just blasts a note of total garbage can lid, lots of initial attack and fades fast. I could hit that all day and again for like 60 bucks or whatever, as long as it holds up, not a bad deal so far.

Double bonus review - Remo controlled sustain clear black dot snare head. Likes: I hear more of the wood of my snare and it gives the sound kind of an earthy tone which I like a lot so far. I can hear more wood tone rather than crack from the Ambassador I had on there. I like that a lot and I noticed the snares don't buzz at all when hitting toms.

Dislike: Don't get the bounce off of it like I did from the coated head, I have to roll the corners of the head to get that. The dot deadens the bounce a little.
My fav snare head is the coated Controlled Sound. Tried the clear version for a few weeks, but swapped it for a coated version again because of the warmer and fuller sound. Might use the clear on my piccolo snare (if i'm going to use it) to give it extra 'snap'. I've been playing coated CS on my snare for so long i can't really notice bounce issue, but it sounds plausible because because of the dot you can get less rebound.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Wuhan cymbals are a total hit or miss. I've heard some killer ones, but some need to be thrown around a bit more to get some additional character. Don't think you can call what Wuhan does hammering! I have an 18" riveted china that is just plain awesome. Can't imagine in without rivets though. That would be a serious trash can lid. Even with rivets the sustain is short. Perfect cymbal for playing Abacab.

I haven't liked the feel of any head with control rings or dot, except maybe the Aquarian Studio x series. There's no difference in feel on those. As the name suggests, they are great heads for recording, because they control the overtones extremely well. I just always end up removing the ring after the novelty wears off and turning them into their standard single ply coated heads with a clear moon gel for control instead. It just works better that way, when I can control how much sustain I want.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Wuhans were super big, both in the online communities, and also in my real life, in like the mid 2000's. Guitar Center would often have ridiculous sales on 12" splashes and chinas, in high school I picked up a 12" splash for $13, I still use it, although it has been slightly cracked for awhile, but it was a trashy sound to begin with so it doesn't really sound any 'worse.'

But in college, our jazz band drumset had Wuhans around that time as well. My local drum stores also really pushed Wuhans too (I bought a Wuhan ride and hi-hat that were unmarked when I bought my Sonors in 2004, have since sold them though). They were the big thing for good 'cheap' cymbals until Dream came along in like the late 2000's early 2010's. Nowhere near as popular now, can't remember the last time I've seen them aside from the splash I still have.

Squirrel Man

Update on the Wuhan 16 inch crash.

So practicing today I noticed the cymbal was tilted, adjusted the boom. Played for a few more minutes and it's tilted again. So I spun it on the mount, wobbles, crooked.

So I'm thinking I bent it playing it at some point since I didn't notice it earlier and I notice those things.

I kept it on the mount and worked the edges down and got it in balance again but I'm guessing this will be a continuing issue with it. The 16 inch K crash I have isn't displaying any of this for now.

Local Oaf

I have a 12” Wuhan China that I got at a Pawn shop for like $11. It’s wonderful garbage. I stack it with a 10” junky brass cymbal and it’s perfect.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Update on the Wuhan 16 inch crash.

So practicing today I noticed the cymbal was tilted, adjusted the boom. Played for a few more minutes and it's tilted again. So I spun it on the mount, wobbles, crooked.

So I'm thinking I bent it playing it at some point since I didn't notice it earlier and I notice those things.

I kept it on the mount and worked the edges down and got it in balance again but I'm guessing this will be a continuing issue with it. The 16 inch K crash I have isn't displaying any of this for now.
Wuhan are anything but perfect. I doubt the hole is even centered. They are generally purchased as a way to add color to a set. That, they do perfectly. Wobble around on a stand... they do that well too.