Wuhan crash cymbals as hi hats.....?????

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm using 13" Ks as my main hats right now, but would like to add either 15" or 16" hats in a lighter weight to get a different sound. Found a pair of Wuhan 16" cymbals at a good price. One is a standard crash, the other a "paper thin". Thought they might make a good choice for what I'm doing. Any thoughts on this or Wuhan in general?

wuhan 2.jpgwuhan.jpg

Stroman

Platinum Member
I kinda like the Wuhans. I've got a couple, but no two of the same size. I think the two 16s you have would work nicely for a dirty low-down hat.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Should make for a very dark and sloshy hat. I'd try it.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Should be fine, but if the top is too thin they will have more of a hollow thunk when played with the tip of the stick. If you’re more of a shoulder-of-the-stick whacker, disregard the previous sentence.

Old Dog new Cans

Heck yeah man. They're relatively cheap. Their higher end lines sound decent (I've only purchased splashes from wuhan and a small china).

Yeah you might have to do some mixing and matching with other crashes. Give it a try

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Any thoughts on this or Wuhan in general?
I love their chinas. I'm curious about their crashes. Have you tried them as such?

I like the big sloshy hats idea. I currently have normal sloshy hats. They feel inadequate sometimes.

Nick3641

I've been thinking about pairing a 17" a custom thin crash with a 17" thin Wuhan crash; I'm thinking about using the Wuhan for the bottom.

Also thinking about using an EFX cymbal as a bottom with the 17" a custom. Which option is best?

Al Strange

I've been thinking about pairing a 17" a custom thin crash with a 17" thin Wuhan crash; I'm thinking about using the Wuhan for the bottom.

Also thinking about using an EFX cymbal as a bottom with the 17" a custom. Which option is best?
Try it and see what sounds/feels best to you... (y) :cool:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I think if you plan on using them as hi hats, it'd be iffy.
I've tried crashes as hats before, but it turned out to be more of a novelty type thing for me.
I found them to be too light, not a good foot chick sound, and lacking in volume unless you whack them with the shank of the stick.

I think Bo here uses crashes as hats regularly and likes them.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I think if you plan on using them as hi hats, it'd be iffy.
I've tried crashes as hats before, but it turned out to be more of a novelty type thing for me.
I found them to be too light, not a good foot chick sound, and lacking in volume unless you whack them with the shank of the stick.

I think Bo here uses crashes as hats regularly and likes them.
Yeah he does. I'm not using them with a pedal stand so chick is no big deal. My 13s will remain for chick-ness. I'm just looking for that sloshy wash sound as alternative the 13s.