wtf am I doing with my wrists?

wolfgang

I guess I think of myself as a decent drummer who can play by own band's songs well, but after seeing some videos of myself for a local Battle of the Bands audition, I can't help but notice how awkward my technique looks :S
It's alright for most of the performances but there are a few instances (riding with my right hand, crashing with my left) where something looks off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVNNtya6CQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHwAjrCQjo&feature=channel

The performances themselves are not our best. We were playing in a crappy, echoey room without monitors so it was difficult to follow at times. We've also experienced some severe lineup changes. Here we are as a trio, where we used to be a 5 piece. This is also the first time our singer has played bass.
Also the songs are both originals, the first is titled "Elephant", and the second "Man of Stone".

So yeah, if you have any comments about my band or my playing I'd be glad to hear them.
And if you really want to help us out, rate our video 5 stars ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Theindian, all arms. With this sort of open melodic material you need to be a bit more dynamic. Light & shade. The groove drags a bit in both songs. Maybe consider 4's to 8's or 8's to 16's from verse to chorus, the odd extra 16th kick each bar in the chorus, just to differentiate between the different sections of each song. Your guitarist needs to pay more attention to tuning. I like your stuff, it just needs pulling together. Good luck.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Maybe work on a little Moeller technique to loosen those wrists up and you'll also gain some power in your backbeat. Not necessarily louder left hand snare hits but with more snap and less stiff arm.

If your right side cymbal is your ride and crash, consider lowering it. It will help keep you from having to raise your wrist so high to get a ride beat going.

J

JediJesseS

I agree with the others, hardly any wrist technique going on at all. Looks like your crash/ride on your right is too high so you have to crane your wrist upwards to reach it. Put your arm out comfortably, align your wrist with your arm and try putting the ride where ever that ends up being comfortable for you.

wolfgang

Thanks for your input guys. I'll try some different ride positions and work loosening up my wrists a little more. The thing is it looks strange, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable or painful. Although after watching the performances it wouldn't surprise me if it could develop into some wrist problems later on.
Also the sound quality of these videos are not too great. It really only seemed to pick up the highs (hihats :p), and there's almost no bass guitar or bass drum. You can't really hear the ghost notes either, which I do play in a lot of our songs.

Thanks for your help! :D

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I can't believe that they made you play in front of glass doors without monitors!
Thats a form of torture! They don't even do that to the Taliban in GITMO! Why didn't they just tie you guys down and drip water on your forehead!
More bounce from the wrists/ fingers and less arms and all will be good!

wolfgang

^
haha! Maybe it wasn't THAT bad but it was a challenge. I didn't listen to the vocals at all, because all I heard was them off the other wall of the room about a second late. It would've been all right if the amps were beside/behind me. Oh well. I think we made it in regardless.

Ugh. Now I really want the weekend to come so I can go home and drum! :p

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
^
haha! Maybe it wasn't THAT bad but it was a challenge. I didn't listen to the vocals at all, because all I heard was them off the other wall of the room about a second late. It would've been all right if the amps were beside/behind me. Oh well. I think we made it in regardless.

Ugh. Now I really want the weekend to come so I can go home and drum! :p
Thats the problem with playing in front of glass, the sound of you're drums is amplified by the glass and sent back and forth across the room several times a second! The amps were in front of you! You were hearing the sound from the back of the amps bounce off the glass and it put you in a delay mode. The sound from the back of an amp is never a desirable thing to begin with. It is worse when it bounces off of a hard surface like glass.
If you are ever in that predicament again, Set up in front of the amps and wear ear protection. You will hear everything perfectly. If the people running the audition question you, Explain your reasoning to them.

denisri

Silver Member
Hi Wolfgang
I have a much different take than the others...
1. NIce job...on intro's...
2. Need more conviction on the back-beats.
3. Take a look at the Tony Williams videos on this drummerworld site...Note his use of his arms and minor use of his wrists. Study these videos very closely...its for further development of your arm and wrists strokes.
4. Also look at the development of your preparatory stroke(this will give you more snap in your left hand/snare stroke)..tx Denis