Wrist injury/tendonitis!? Help

JUZZI

I'm guessing that as well, which is why I asked if the OP has taken lessons or is self taught. A good teacher will keep an eye on their student's technique, and help prevent injury resulting from poor technique. I've seen enough self-taught drummers with poor technique either limiting their ability to play by developing bad habits or, worse, injuring themselves because of it. I can't say I know more than a couple of self-taught drummers who have good technique and have not injured themselves from playing.
I always had lessons - my teacher used to keep an eye on it if I started hitting badly, but now i'm self teaching so I clearly need to work on my technique again.

Thanks guys for shedding some light on this! I just wanted to here of some of your experiences.

Is your electric kit rubber pads or mesh? Mesh is much more forgiving. Beating on rubber pads for hours will give anyone tendinitis. If you have rubber pads, consider using Zildjian's Anti Vibe sticks. They work wonders when you have to play on rubber pads for more than 30 seconds.
Yes I have rubber tom pads. I agree, I feel that even with loose grip they kind of effect me after long periods. Maybe it's worth investing in mesh pads?

Last edited:

JUZZI

Is your electric kit rubber pads or mesh? Mesh is much more forgiving. Beating on rubber pads for hours will give anyone tendinitis. If you have rubber pads, consider using Zildjian's Anti Vibe sticks. They work wonders when you have to play on rubber pads for more than 30 seconds.
thanks so much for that recommendation, i've checked out the Youtube reviews. The anti vibe sticks specially made for e-kits are just what I need, I'll definitely be purchasing myself some!

JUZZI

OK well after some research I'm taking the following steps (sharing incase anybody else needs this too)

• STOP playing completely, take a break for few weeks
  • Rest and elevate wrist/s on a pillow
  • Wear wrist supports as much as possible during recovery
  • Hot and cold therapy (ice packs then soak in hot water)
  • Take inflammatory tablets
  • Consume lots of vitamin C
  • Regular massages with tendon lotion
  • Ease into movement and stretches
  • Once healed build up sticking on pad again softly

To prevent future Tendonitis:
  • Watch a ton of drum lesson videos
  • Adopt good hitting techniques and grip correction
  • Invest in anti vibe sticks for e-kit
  • Replace rubber tom pads to mesh pads on v-drums
  • Remember to stretch daily

If anyone can add to this list then please let me know :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The older you get, the slower you heal. Trust me. It's a bore but rehab is your friend and if it takes time, then let it. one month off now is better that 6 months 5 years from now.

Word to the wise: be careful with anti-inflammatory meds (NSAIDS) like Motrin and Aleve which, when overused, can cause kidney damage. Hot/Cold contrast baths can go a long way in reducing inflammation, along with rest. Remember, pain is a good thing. It's our body's messaging system telling us we are doing damage to it. So back off for a while, and let your body heal. I say this as someone who took a break from drumming in my youth to pursue an athletic career. RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevation (dependent on type of injury). If symptoms persist, seek medical attention, and don't wait too long to do so.

blinky

OK well after some research I'm taking the following steps (sharing incase anybody else needs this too)

It might also help if you think of it more like "dropping" the sticks instead of "hitting" with them, gravity is your friend!

NouveauCliche

I was going to make this exact comment.

Rubber pads kick back all that energy into your wrists and forearms - mesh heads work more like normal heads but the cymbals are still pretty harsh.

Those anti-vibe sticks will do wonders if you spend a lot of time on eKits with rubber.

JUZZI

I was going to make this exact comment.

Rubber pads kick back all that energy into your wrists and forearms - mesh heads work more like normal heads but the cymbals are still pretty harsh.

Those anti-vibe sticks will do wonders if you spend a lot of time on eKits with rubber.
Yes I've always felt even with loose grip and releasing the stick as I hit the rubber pads, they still are just too harsh ...awful things! I see on amazon they sell mesh covers for e-drum rubber pads, so gonna give them a whirl.

beatdat

What about a proper diagnosis? I don't think you mentioned if you've seen a doctor yet. How do you know it's tendonitis, and not a pinched nerve or something else?

It's been a week, how's your wrist feeling now?

JUZZI

What about a proper diagnosis? I don't think you mentioned if you've seen a doctor yet. How do you know it's tendonitis, and not a pinched nerve or something else?

It's been a week, how's your wrist feeling now?
I'm trying to get it seen to but lockdown is making it impossible right now, but yes I must.

Still sore but starting to get better i think!

iCe

I do notice that when i play too much without a proper warm-up my body rebels. The most injuries i had originated from overplaying: i get tired after a 3 hour rehearsal, start to get sloppy, overfocus on playing and i'm not playing relaxed. It's because i force myself to play my muscles are overused and that leads to muscle pains or cramps or even that my arms freeze up to the point i can't play. So don't play for hours and take some time of, or even a day off.