Wrapping a set of Saturns?

retoxtony

I'm wondering if anyone here has wrapped a set of Mapex Saturns. I'd like to change up the appearance of mine, but i've never done a wrap on a kit before and i have no idea if its worth it, or if there's anything in particular on a Saturn kit i need to know before doing it?

Any help would be great.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Are they already wrapped or lacquer?

If they are wrapped, you will probably have to remove it if you want a Delmar-type wrap. If you want to do a BumWrap, you can wrap right over them.

If they are lacquer, you can wrap right over that.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member

If they are wrapped, you will probably have to remove it if you want a Delmar-type wrap. If you want to do a BumWrap, you can wrap right over them.

Don't you have to be careful with wrapping drums to make sure that the drum heads will fit properly (come on and off easily) when wrapping a drum?
Is BumWrap a very thin wrap?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Don't you have to be careful with wrapping drums to make sure that the drum heads will fit properly (come on and off easily) when wrapping a drum?
Is BumWrap a very thin wrap?

Yes, and yes.

You give Bumwrap the dimensions of your drum(s) and they will cut the wrap(s) to fit the edge. Here's a quote from their website:

We always cut wraps back 1/4 inch on each side to prevent interference with bearing edges. We also cut back 1/8 inch on wood bass hoop inlays. Metal hoop inlay sizes are exact.

Yes, Bumwrap is thin, but it's surprisingly durable. I really like mine, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I wrapped a Tama Rockstar metal snare. Once I got it wrapped, I really had to feel for the little "divets" in the shell. (see pics)

B2B3A3E6-BDAC-413B-9DCA-5B943B387562_zps4rdg9gui.jpg

26F64ED5-E62C-4D79-BDE3-BF9F4FF7210A_zpsavyrhp7l.jpg

30704997-B6B6-4B35-B3DA-FAA3308D503A_zpspe4ldkiv.jpg

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here's the before and after when I did my Pearls a year and a half ago:

522138_10205892076441629_7197004690402844000_n.jpg

10917855_10205892076681635_1549237764863980736_n.jpg

I thought a Super Mario wrap would be fun (which it is!), but I never really planned on them leaving the house. Within a month of doing this, I ended up in band. I got another set, and I leave these at home as my practice set. My kids love them! :)

retoxtony

They're actually painted right now. They came in that Mapex laser black color they offered for a few years. I never really liked it much so i had a friend paint them at his autobody shop. They actually look great and its held up really well, but its time for a change.

I was hoping someone here had actually done a set of these before. The lugs have only one hole all the way through the shell, but there is another "tab" that towards the other end of the lug that fits into a indent in the shell, so i'll need to make a second hole in the wrap to accommodate this. I'm just not sure the best way of doing it once the wrap is on and the existing indents are covered. I did order a Bumwrap to try out on the snare so i guess i'll be able to experiment with that one.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I did a Mapex snare with those same lugs and you will have to make a second hole for the tab below the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 79