Wow! Way to go MD!

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
That late?
Wha da fuq???

Yet I bet their digital version is right on time. :rolleyes:

Rhythm666

Not a fan of MD since they will no longer ship print copies internationally .
Me too, I let them switch my remaining subscription fee to the digital subscription but I haven't looked at it since. My subscriptions ends April next year and I wont renew. Im in Europe and they wont send to Europe as its to costly they said, don't know what changed since this year, last edition I got was the feb2021 one.

Mcdonap

Just got mine too.
I still look forward to getting it. After all, it is a drum magazine...
I can't help but notice how it's gotten so thin on content. The poll winner magazine is always a little light, but now each winner gets their own page. There's always an archival story. These articles are usually great, but it's not new content. A lot of the lessons are older material as well. I mean it's great, but it's not new content. There are vintage ads... Back Through The Stack pages... It feels like a lot of recycled stuff.
I don't know if it's MD's doing or just that advertisers can't afford it, but I really miss all of the little ads that used to be in the back.

ToneT

Drum Expert
Just got mine too.
I still look forward to getting it. After all, it is a drum magazine...
I can't help but notice how it's gotten so thin on content. The poll winner magazine is always a little light, but now each winner gets their own page. There's always an archival story. These articles are usually great, but it's not new content. A lot of the lessons are older material as well. I mean it's great, but it's not new content. There are vintage ads... Back Through The Stack pages... It feels like a lot of recycled stuff.
I don't know if it's MD's doing or just that advertisers can't afford it, but I really miss all of the little ads that used to be in the back.
You really nailed it as far as the lack of content is concerned!
The lack of in-depth content has been an issue for me for too many years now.
The lack of new music reviews is the last straw for me.
I used to live for this magazine! Every new issue in the mail was a big deal for me; that's how much I love[d]
Modern Drummer.

Are any subscribers having trouble with their digital issues?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I can't help but notice how it's gotten so thin on content.
Like virtually all printed media, it's become impossible to keep up with online content which is dynamic, interactive, offers audio and video content, is immediate in terms of content, and is largely free. Reading a screen isn't really the same as reading and holding a printed page, but people (for the most part) have adapted to and accepted it as a way to get information.

I'm surprised MD has stayed in print this long. I don't know if/what they charge for their online version, but without the burden of printing and mailing physical magazine, they could keep 'subscription' costs way down to make them attractive. In the end, I doubt they'd lose any profits. If they really pushed exclusive multimedia, they would probably grow their subscriber base (which keeps MD viable for the advertisers that help support the magazine.)

Although I don't subscribe and rarely buy a physical copy, I would pay $2-3/mo for online access to exclusive content.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I noticed it starting to decline over ten years ago to be honest. I used to get copies locally over here in the UK (they were in my local major newsagents around 2003-2007) and I could get back issues easily down at the indoor market hidden amongst the jazz mags. I think the last copy I bought would have been around 2009. Have barely glanced at it since and certainly haven't been able to buy it locally for years.

Sound on Sound still regularly puts out a high-quality magazine each month. Haven't bought it for a little while (out of the game a bit now) but print media doesn't have to die. Although Sound on Sound is very much the exception.

timmdrum

Silver Member
The July 2021 came in the mail today!
What in the world is going on?
That late?
Wha da fuq???

Yet I bet their digital version is right on time. :rolleyes:
Not a fan of MD since they will no longer ship print copies internationally .
I was wondering what was up also, and got mine 2 days ago. Ironically, all this was addressed in the editorial of this very issue:

"I also want to address the ever-changing landscape of magazine distribution in the current pandemic era. We have been dealing with incredibly frustrating delays and cost increases associated with the print side of the magazine. We are rethinking the best way to deliver the print magazine to our readers - especially outside of the USA. Our new digital magazine is a great solution, and it's an experience you've never seen before from Modern Drummer. Please be sure to check it out, and enjoy the content in a way that is inspiring, interactive, and immediate. We will share updates with you on how we are resolving the challenges presented with shipping print issues as we develop solutions."

Obviously what content they are offering isn't delayed, due to its presence in the digital mag, so I gleam from this that the print delays are at least partially due to issues (no pun intended! 😁) with staffing and/or supplies for paper, printing presses, trucks, the postal service, etc. Lotsa cogs in that machine.

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Well?..should I throw Drumhead in the mix to?. It was the one that made me walk away from my other addictions. After Mover let another do the driving I tried way to hard to act interested. I thought I was just getting old and jaded but I don't think so. Personally it feels weird to be this uninterested. Maybe I'll rekindle my love when I'm older..oh piss on it..drum mags R4U younger folk.

ToneT

Drum Expert
I noticed it starting to decline over ten years ago to be honest. I used to get copies locally over here in the UK (they were in my local major newsagents around 2003-2007) and I could get back issues easily down at the indoor market hidden amongst the jazz mags. I think the last copy I bought would have been around 2009. Have barely glanced at it since and certainly haven't been able to buy it locally for years.

Sound on Sound still regularly puts out a high-quality magazine each month. Haven't bought it for a little while (out of the game a bit now) but print media doesn't have to die. Although Sound on Sound is very much the exception.
Sound On Sound is a great magazine!
Yeah, I may switch to that instead of Sound & Vision; another mag with a lack of in-depth information. lack of component specs, etc. Stereophile is great, too, and it arrives every month.
I need a new drum magazine!

Trigger

Most of the product reviews became very medium (nothing was really good or really bad)
Exactly this. When MD dropped the 'hits and misses' parts of their review it all started going down. From then on out it was only good reviews for all drums. It's a shame because it was a great magazine, but like other great magazine they're simply going out of fashion.

Neal Pert

Regular Poster
I am trying to imagine how anyone could put out a drum magazine and have it provide something one can't already get online in a much better form for free. Like, how would YOU plan an issue of a physical magazine about drumming right now? I'm at a loss.

Here is at least a big part of the problem and why there's no future for drum magazines.
  • It's mostly older guys who prefer a physical magazine.
  • On average, older guys are not terribly interested in younger drummers/newer music.
  • A lot of the classic rock and jazz players are now either dead or very old or at least not releasing new music.
  • Most younger drummers can't even imagine buying a drumming magazine.
So, like, really-- what do you cover?

I work very closely with college students every day and have been doing so for 19 years. Know how many times I've seen a college student reading a magazine for pleasure in the last 19 years? Other than the very rare issue of something like People magazine, zero.

I don't know if we'll ever see a time for magazines like we're seeing for LPs-- where people are nostalgic for the physical copy and are willing to pay for it as a way of supporting its creation. That's probably the only hope, and it's very slim.

Thin Shell

Regular Poster
Exactly this. When MD dropped the 'hits and misses' parts of their review it all started going down. From then on out it was only good reviews for all drums. It's a shame because it was a great magazine, but like other great magazine they're simply going out of fashion.
This happened after Ron died. Once this started, I immediately noticed, and looking back, it was all downhill from there. Really, when you get down to it, MD died with Ron. The magazine that continued was a pale imitation of a once great magazine. Ron would be very unhappy with what MD has become.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I am trying to imagine how anyone could put out a drum magazine and have it provide something one can't already get online in a much better form for free. Like, how would YOU plan an issue of a physical magazine about drumming right now? I'm at a loss.

Here is at least a big part of the problem and why there's no future for drum magazines.
  • It's mostly older guys who prefer a physical magazine.
  • On average, older guys are not terribly interested in younger drummers/newer music.
  • A lot of the classic rock and jazz players are now either dead or very old or at least not releasing new music.
  • Most younger drummers can't even imagine buying a drumming magazine.
So, like, really-- what do you cover?

I work very closely with college students every day and have been doing so for 19 years. Know how many times I've seen a college student reading a magazine for pleasure in the last 19 years? Other than the very rare issue of something like People magazine, zero.

I don't know if we'll ever see a time for magazines like we're seeing for LPs-- where people are nostalgic for the physical copy and are willing to pay for it as a way of supporting its creation. That's probably the only hope, and it's very slim.
Actually, ALL manner of printed publications are suffering. There’s a Barnes & Noble book store (of all things) by my house - the last time I went in there, it’s mainly a public library for the coffee shop that’s in there. Not sure how much longer it will be there. People just don’t buy printed media thanks to “being online”. I love reading books, but I read them all on a Kindle device.

But being the older guy I am, part of me is looking forward to the day when the electrical power grid takes a huge hit and is out for several days, or we get hit with electro-mechanical pulse that takes out the power. That’ll show them punk kids a thing or two. Hell, there was almost a world-wide panic when Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram went down for several hours at the beginning of this week.

ToneT

Drum Expert
This happened after Ron died. Once this started, I immediately noticed, and looking back, it was all downhill from there. Really, when you get down to it, MD died with Ron. The magazine that continued was a pale imitation of a once great magazine. Ron would be very unhappy with what MD has become.
Sad, but true.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Magazines aren't even laying around the waiting rooms of medical practices anymore thanks to the pandemic.

I used to find one to flip through from time to time in the seat back pocket on a flight I'd be on that a previous passenger had left behind. A Reader's Digest was like striking gold when bored. Not anymore...

People on flights now read things on their phone. A decade ago it was their laptop. Years before that it was a magazine , book or newspaper if they didn't (gasp!) strike up a conversation with a stranger seated next to them.

As Bo mentioned, if the whole system went down and people can't function without their social media and news feed, I guess the lost art of striking up a conversation with a stranger will have to be learned somehow. With masks on. I'm sorry I'm a drummer I can't hear you please speak up!