Wow - new Hiromi trio project album featuring Simon & Anthony

WOW that was amazing. I don't know how the hell they were all following...or were they? She was allover the place. Never knew Simon played open handed, though he's so damn good he could play no-handed.

Never knew Simon played open handed, though he's so damn good he could play no-handed.
Oh yes, his open handed style is a trademark of his playing. He's been doing that for the last 30 years to the best of my knowledge. The way he seamlessly transitions from open to closed handed & back is just disgustingly impressive. Certainly in rock circles, he's the most ambidextrous player I can think of.

Album's due to land today, yippee!!!!!

I understand that Hiromi was created when genetic material from Chick Corea and Keith Emerson was sent to Japan in the late 70s, mixed with ancient material from Beethoven and then blended in a sequencer set on quantise :)

I understand that Hiromi was created when genetic material from Chick Corea and Keith Emerson was sent to Japan in the late 70s, mixed with ancient material from Beethoven and then blended in a sequencer set on quantise :)
You may just be right there Grea. It's the independence of her left hand that amazes me. Such power, & her grasp of timing amidst such note complexity is mind boggling!

You just know she'd be a great drummer too if she put her mind to it.

You just know she'd be a great drummer too if she put her mind to it.

Sure, with her timing and instincts, she'd be a natural on drums. Potentially sickeningly so :)

Seeing how easily Jan Hammer stepped up on the kit did me some damage back in the day - and now there's Gary Novak, who's such a freak on both you couldn't say which is his main instrument. Chick Corea is also a hot drummer.

The aliens landed when we weren't looking.

Seeing how easily Jan Hammer stepped up on the kit did me some damage back in the day - and now there's Gary Novak, who's such a freak on both you couldn't say which is his main instrument. Chick Corea is also a hot drummer...

... you can add Gary Husband :)

Yes, I'm sure Hiromi would be a brilliant drummer if she decided to take upon drumming, no doubt about it.

Wow, thanks for posting Andy! Incredible stuff! And I just saw Hiromi is coming to
Switzerland in January with Steve Smith and Anthony! I'll be there :)!!
I've never seen Hiromi live, but I intend to fix that sometime this coming year :) I have a number of friends who've seen Hiromi recently with steve Smith. As if we didn't already know, apparently, Steve is just superb, & many I speak to prefer the trio with Steve rather than Simon. I get why too. Even though I'm a lifelong admirer of Simon, I do think he occasionally gets a bit "thumpy" where a deft hand would have fitted better (IMHO of course). Both players have their roots firmly planted in rock. That's just fine with me, as I think it brings something different to the party. Hiromi obviously thinks so too, otherwise there's no way she'd go for a second album with Simon.

Also interesting that she chose to do both albums with Simon, & clearly uses Steve live when Simon isn't available. Simon is clearly her choice, yet I quite frequently hear "fan" comments preferring Steve. For me, Steve offers a balanced interpretation of Hiromi's material, whereas Simon certainly leans much more in the rock direction, especially with his fills. Groove work - not a lot to choose between them in terms of style TBH. Where Simon does score over Steve IMO, is the sheer power of his delivery. Only those who've seen Simon live, & especially in a stripped down context, will truly appreciate where I'm coming from with that.

Either way, I think you're looking at one hell of an inspiring gig in January. Don't miss out on those tickets!

Both Simon and Steve are phenomenal players, I've been a fan of both drummers, I've discovered Steve through his Jean-Luc Ponty's gig in the 70's and later with Journey.

Both drummers have evolved and played numerous music styles with astonishing results, the only difference being Steve's approach to the instruments with a more conventional setting as opposed to Simon's ambidextrous approach.

Steve gig's after Journey remained heavily on the jazz scene, while Simon's recording and giging career is prominently within the rock scene. It's amazing considering that Simon's original roots and first pro-gigs were through jazz with his father's big band, the "Sid Phillips Orchestra" at the tender age of 12.

The thing with Simon's playing is that I feel at "home" every time I hear and watch him play, he's a constant source of inspiration, dedication throughout many genres, he's a living legend, I've seen him quite a few times live too, one particular gig with the Jack Bruce trio, I was only a few yards away from him, so yes Andy, I can truly appreciate where you're coming from :)

2010 was the year of the album "Voice" and the subsequent tour with Hiromi and Anthony, but the very same year, Simon did the 30 years anniversary tour with the Michael Shenker Group, talk about a world apart in terms of drumming, but he delivered in both gigs with the same inspirational approach, a truly drummer's drummer in every sense of the term.

Simon said in a recent interview:

"I try to slip into the skin and the spirit of the best, for exemple, if I need to play funk, I think about Purdie, and about Grady Tate if I need to play jazz, when I play rock or heavy stuff, I'm thinking about jazz/funk drummers, after all you want to bring life into music and you want the people to dance, and when I play jazz/soul/funk, I try to bring the energy of rock music, you need to mix the genres and abolish the boundaries"

I thought this resumed his playing approach quite well :)

You've got the new CD Andy, lucky you... is it up to your expectations?

I've seen him quite a few times live too, one particular gig with the Jack Bruce trio, I was only a few yards away from him, so yes Andy, I can truly appreciate where you're coming from :)

I've not seen him live but from the YouTubes he gives the impression of generating incredible energy and intensity. Would have loved to have seen 801.

Totally agree, KIS! I think I have the same "problem" with Hiromi with Simon I have when
I hear Michel Petrucciani's live album with Steve Gadd (and Anthony Jackson as well,
coincidentally) for those familiar with Petrucciani: Gadd's playing is generally perfect,
tasty and endlessly groovy of course, but it's just not enough "open" and jazz spirited
as to me Petrucciani's piano playing would suggest.
Hiromi sounds nothing like Petrucciani, but I think it's the same effect that partnership
has to me.

Interestingly, Keith Carlock comes to my mind: He is a rock/funk player with awesome
groove but he has that jazz drummer's spirit of "open" playing. I'm not sure if he'd fit
Hiromi's music at all - or Petrucciani's (RIP), but maybe it's what I miss from both Simon
Phillips and Steve Gadd.

I'm more familiar with Steve than Simon. I've mostly heard Simon with Toto, he's perfect
there, but I always think it's kind of a symbiosis of Simon's and Toto's style.

I very much look forward to hearing Steve with Hiromi live AND hearing Simon with the
trio on the albums.

Totally agree, KIS! I think I have the same "problem" with Hiromi with Simon I have when
I hear Michel Petrucciani's live album with Steve Gadd (and Anthony Jackson as well,
coincidentally) for those familiar with Petrucciani: Gadd's playing is generally perfect,
tasty and endlessly groovy of course, but it's just not enough "open" and jazz spirited
as to me Petrucciani's piano playing would suggest.
Hiromi sounds nothing like Petrucciani, but I think it's the same effect that partnership
has to me.

Interestingly, Keith Carlock comes to my mind: He is a rock/funk player with awesome
groove but he has that jazz drummer's spirit of "open" playing. I'm not sure if he'd fit
Hiromi's music at all - or Petrucciani's (RIP), but maybe it's what I miss from both Simon
Phillips and Steve Gadd.

I'm more familiar with Steve than Simon. I've mostly heard Simon with Toto, he's perfect
there, but I always think it's kind of a symbiosis of Simon's and Toto's style.

I very much look forward to hearing Steve with Hiromi live AND hearing Simon with the
trio on the albums.
TBH my Alpine friend, I have no room to talk. I'm a classic limited Mr. thumpy. I guess my ears have matured where my skills have not. I like Simon's straight talking way of things, & let's be honest, his groove work with Hiromi & Anthony is just creamy wonderfulness. It's just the occasional excursion into "scratching that rock itch" that grates ever so slightly with me. But hey, I'll take 99% perfection over my crap any day ;)

The sheer joy that is written on Hiromi's face as she plays is the most inspirational thing I've ever seen. Even if I never get to her level of mastery, I know I can experience that kind of joy. The playing is off the charts, but her expressions are what really speak to me. She embodies the very best of what music can be, from an individual's playing standpoint. I want that level of joy coming through when I play, that I think I can achieve.

The sheer joy that is written on Hiromi's face as she plays is the most inspirational thing I've ever seen. Even if I never get to her level of mastery, I know I can experience that kind of joy. The playing is off the charts, but her expressions are what really speak to me. She embodies the very best of what music can be, from an individual's playing standpoint. I want that level of joy coming through when I play, that I think I can achieve.
Great thought Larry :) That's one area where we can reach the same level as the drumming gods.

She has transcended the pitfalls of trying to look/act/be cool when she is up there. Those pitfalls are a million lightyears from her headspace. She is truly a conduit and music flows right through her with no resistance. I admire that the most. She dispenses with all the mental blocks, and allows her personality and utter joy of playing to really come across. Another thing she demonstrates is how easy it is for her to get into the zone. I have a feeling that she is never far from the zone, even when not playing. I think she is the best in the world at showing her joy of playing. It's not an act, or even an exaggeration, this woman is truly feeling the joy of music. I want that.

Thanks for posting this Andy, because even though I had seen a vid of her once before, I had forgotten her name, but not her joy, and I was trying to find her on YT with no luck. (happy asian piano players didn't work lol) I will never again forget this woman's name, because anytime I need a charge, it's her vids I will watch.

Back