Wow - new Hiromi trio project album featuring Simon & Anthony

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
But with a twist! Written with Simon's & Anthony's personal style as the foundation. Released in Europe this month, this write up explains;

While on the road, Hiromi started writing music for a follow-up, Move, set for U.S. release March 5, 2013 on Telarc, a division of Concord Music Group. (European release date is October 2, 2012.) “Because I had been playing with Anthony and Simon for quite a bit, I just started to understand their characteristics, and I could find a hidden gem in their playing,” she explains. “As a composer, I really wanted to write the songs especially for them, and I wanted to extract the unique beauty of their playing.”

Incredible "close up & personal" video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxYw7Y45Eo They're having so much fun here! Hiromi "torturing" Simon by extending his break piece, leaving him to "wing it" until she decides to break out. You can see Simon "asking" for an exit, lol. Just superb!

& you can listen to the whole album here. I already have, & it's breathtakingly good: http://soundcloud.com/concordmusicgroup/sets/hiromi-move

My order is in for the CD copy as of right now!!!!!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
“As a composer, I really wanted to write the songs especially for them, and I wanted to extract the unique beauty of their playing.”
...and that's a brilliant idea, for the sheer pleasure of the fans of this wonderful trio, "Voice" was a revelation and the start of an incredible voyage through the music of the magnificent Hiromi, the musicianship of these three musicians is simply astonishing, so far the best album of the century, but I have a feeling it will be surpassed by the new project "Move", I simply cant wait to get the new album :)

They're having so much fun here! Hiromi "torturing" Simon by extending his break piece, leaving him to "wing it" until she decides to break out. You can see Simon "asking" for an exit, lol. Just superb!
Yes, indeed, and Simon is in his best form, the start of his break piece with the octobans is a trademark of his playing :)

This clip is amazing, as much as the music, straight to my favorites :)

Thanks for the head up Andy, you've made my day ;-))

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Breathtaking!

When asked how much she practices, Hiromi answered that she doesn't practice.

I can't say I believe that but if it's true then her level of inborn talent is on a superhuman level.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
She probably does not think of playing by herself privately as "practice." I have few of her CD's and a DVD of her band Sonic Bloom. She is a superb musician. Peace and goodwill.

Sjogras

Silver Member
Finding myself smiling wide 5 minutes in... holy crap. Reminder to self: PRACTICE MORE YOU LAZY FOOL.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Agree Andy, apart from having genius inspiration Hiromi is a wicked slavedriver. I've seen her do that to Simon before, where the intensity she (smilingly) demands from him before she lets him wind up would break a lesser musician.

the musicianship of these three musicians is simply astonishing
+1 ... just about the most Zen thing I've ever seen.

Arky

Platinum Member
Wow... Unbelievable energy/intensity (and musicianship, which goes without saying).
Some tears flowing here when Simon was soloing.
3 musicians are enough to create all this. Phew!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the head up Andy, you've made my day ;-))
My pleasure Henri, as it was you who brought me to this trio project a year ago with "Voice". TBH, I think there's a few sections in voice where Simon's playing is a bit rocky for the piece. Completely understandable of course, as rock is Simon's roots. On Voice, he's brought in cold on session, & does his stuff, but with this album, he's had the opportunity to work it from the ground up, & in the context of a "band" too. That's made a difference. His work in this album sits much better, & Anthony's feeling that unit vibe too.

Hiromi's also been touring with Steve Smith. I missed a show at Ronnie Scotts recently. Steve's another rock roots guy. Trend? I think Steve & Simon are both ultimate examples of multi genre players who can straddle the, line but still with conviction.

In this video, apart from the general uber skill level on display, the most impressive pieces of playing are at 7:00 where Simon seamlessly slips into a double bass drum groove leading up to his solo, & 6:27 where he straightens the groove.

Although the Soundcloud link I've put up is only an album taster - what a taster! Can't wait for my CD to arrive so I can get this in the car :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I've been listening and watching that video quite a few times now, and I'm still completely blown away :)

..but with this album, he's had the opportunity to work it from the ground up, & in the context of a "band" too.
Agreed, and it's second round in Simon's history, when Jeff Porcaro passed away, Steve Lukather hired Simon for the subsequent 1992 tour, which Simon played brilliantly, of course, but, when the first album came out with SP as a band member, he really shined through with inspiring drumming, composition and musicality, "Tambu" remains a very special Toto album for me.

This new album from this amazing trio will very special too, I just can't wait to get it in my hand :))

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, and it's second round in Simon's history, when Jeff Porcaro passed away, Steve Lukather hired Simon for the subsequent 1992 tour, which Simon played brilliantly, of course, but, when the first album came out with SP as a band member, he really shined through with inspiring drumming, composition and musicality, "Tambu" remains a very special Toto album for me.

This new album from this amazing trio will very special too, I just can't wait to get it in my hand :))
Very good observation about the 1992 Toto tour & Tambu. I was at the very first gig on that tour, so it was probably Simon's first live Toto gig, & although it was very good, it obviously wasn't "settled". When I bought Tambu, it had Simon's style sprinkled all over it. Those deep driving grooves that are born in the bass drums & gong drum, but given life by snare placement (Henri, I know, you know exactly what I mean). I think the same will apply when comparing Voice with Move, although isn't it a testament to Simon's astonishing vocabulary that we're able to talk about two utterly disparate genre's in terms of a similar transition.

Of course, everyone will have their own view of Simon's contribution. The Jazz guys may critique Simon for his rock sensibilities (as they see it) of subtlety when compared to a player whose whole career has been immersed solely in the genre. personally, I think Simon brings something fresh to a performance that's already sparkling with vibe, & it's pretty obvious Hiromi thinks so too. I mean, I can't imagine her struggling to find drummers wanting the gig, unless they're intimidated, of course ;)

Even Henri & I will have a slightly different take on this melting of styles. I know this, because Henri thinks I'm a hard hitter, & I don't :) (well, except for when I need to be)

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Steve Smith's first pro gig was with Jean Luc Ponty before he played in Journey. He is now one of the best drummers on the planet. His band Vital Information is a great fusion band. I really wish I could have seen him with Hiromi. Peace and goodwill.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Steve Smith's first pro gig was with Jean Luc Ponty before he played in Journey. He is now one of the best drummers on the planet. His band Vital Information is a great fusion band. I really wish I could have seen him with Hiromi. Peace and goodwill.
yes, me too :( I had friends who went to that gig, & they said Steve was amazing. Different to Simon of course, but just as impressive, both in terms of skill & interpretation. I know Hiromi has used Steve on many occasions.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Even Henri & I will have a slightly different take on this melting of styles. I know this, because Henri thinks I'm a hard hitter, & I don't :) (well, except for when I need to be)
Andy, I witnessed that rimshot backbeat on the ebony snare quite a few time at the LDS... that's freaking LOUD!!! ...cutting, piercing, projecting ...all this with that whip of yours, anyone who was there could certify this (Duncan, where are you? help me here...), I know this particular snare has a lot to do with it, but still, your backbeat is a killer. No other drummers who played your snares at the LDS had a backbeat as loud and piercing as yours :)

As for Simon's playing on the new trio album, well, it has been written with his style and approach in mind, and judging by the video and the samples, we're in for a real treat, thanks to Hiromi :)

8Mile

Platinum Member
The music doesn't do much for me but I love all the musicians involved. Simon was one of the three or four most important drummers to me when I was starting out.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, I witnessed that rimshot backbeat on the ebony snare quite a few time at the LDS... that's freaking LOUD!!! ...cutting, piercing, projecting ...all this with that whip of yours, anyone who was there could certify this (Duncan, where are you? help me here...), I know this particular snare has a lot to do with it, but still, your backbeat is a killer. No other drummers who played your snares at the LDS had a backbeat as loud and piercing as yours :)
Maybe it's just that I'm used to the snare ;) I do like a bit of whip though.

My CD copy is scheduled to arrive today!!!!!!!