Wow, Neil Peart kinda sucks...

I think its fine to get discuss and analyze it all, but have to say I think there are some very hard and harsh comments on here directed at these folks. If they were reading....ha...they'd be laughing...really.
They do what they do, and I'd like to think they did their best, and also did their own 'thang" and earned top dollar for it. We are here buying their stuff and typing on keyboards.
+1 ..... Neil Peart is worth something like $22 million .... gee, I wish I could suck like that.​

Ohhhhh, some of you are in SO MUCH trouble!!!! BALTO! Where art thou, Balto?
;)

No, I don't get it. You're free to judge other people's playing, but no one is free to judge yours? Where do you get that?

I don't know, maybe we're on your local little jazz station- we've got new playlists coming in almost every day right now. Otherwise, you'll have to use the mouse God gave you and hit my link.

That's pretty funny.

+1 ..... Neil Peart is worth something like $22 million .... gee, I wish I could suck like that.​

Tard's greedy. I'd be happy to suck a 20th as much.

With that kind of success I can't see Neil fretting about anything said in this discussion ... apart from perhaps any incorrect info about his use of click tracks.

this is interesting to me because in the last 4 years, i have had difficulties and felt it would have been much better if i had started at 15 or so.

... at 33, i think i still had it - just backbeat stuff, but i felt i had what it takes, if only i had regular access to a kit to work on things..

but then something strange happened. from 34 through about 51, i felt like an uncoordinated klutz whenever i sat behind a drum set. only in the last year have i been pretty pleased with my playing. and in the last two months in particular i'm starting to see daylight. i feel i'm starting to be the drummer i always wanted to be.

... what is that you think you've lost and why can't you get it back ?

The short answer is mainly losing the chance to play on a drum set at home. There's also reduced energy and drive, and the kind of hesitancy that can come with age, although I think both of these will improve when I can play at home again.

Why would somebody start a thread with that sentence? Makes you look extremely arrogant.
Whatever it takes to make yourself feel better about your own playing, huh?

Why would somebody start a thread with that sentence? Makes you look extremely arrogant.
Whatever it takes to make yourself feel better about your own playing, huh?

Yeah, that must be it.

This place is very strange. I don't understand all the hate. The man is a master!

I agree, Sticks. A thread entirely devoted to bashing NP. Nice.

Have I said one derogatory thing about Jazz this whole time? No. I just don't talk about it.

So NP had a bad night. We all have an off night here and there. I haven't seen this video, but even if I had, I wouldn't start a thread just to tell everyone how much it sucked. Plus the chance to get Sticks going again.

I agree, Sticks. A thread entirely devoted to bashing NP. Nice.

Have I said one derogatory thing about Jazz this whole time? No. I just don't talk about it.

So NP had a bad night. We all have an off night here and there. I haven't seen this video, but even if I had, I wouldn't start a thread just to tell everyone how much it sucked. Plus the chance to get Sticks going again.

It's threads like this that prove JG from DW right.

We all look up to Neil as this great drummer cause that's how we have all praised him on his accomplishments with Rush. Neil is a rock drummer. I'm sure if most of us would play with Rush we would never come close to what Neil does. I think we could all go through his motions and play all the notes but we would never have the same feel. So Neils not a Jazz player.. he doesn't need to be, he's just an awesome drummer!

Don't know about anyone else, but all this talk just made go back & listen to "Cygnus X-1 Book 2" [Hemispheres].... clearly Neil playing without a click & with dynamics & touch & amazing creativity. It's one of my all-time favourite drum performances.

That tune swings too... You don't have to play in a big band to swing.

Don't know about anyone else, but all this talk just made go back & listen to "Cygnus X-1 Book 2" [Hemispheres].... clearly Neil playing without a click & with dynamics & touch & amazing creativity. It's one of my all-time favourite drum performances.

that is a great song

good memories listening to that record ....gonna go listen right now

thanks for reminding me of that tune

It was me playing that opening riff on my legs that convinced my mother to sign me up for drum lessons.

Back