Wow, Neil Peart kinda sucks...

Hey, I fully know my strengths and weaknesses, but I don't get your point. Are you trying to insult me because you disagree with me? That's lame.

Judge not lest ye be judged, I guess.

And yeah, I'd say I swing better than Neil, but I can't play in RUSH nearly as well as he can, that's for sure.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that first count, actually.

And besides, my main instrument is the bass. I'm not sure how well Neil plays bass. But feel free to post your drumming and bass playing , so it can give credence to your argument.

I didn't claim to be a drummer slash bass player.

Absolutely. Big props to Neil for his attempt, and for the Burning for Buddy sessions. Even though he knows he's out of place, he still put himself out there.

And I’ve heard that he paid the bills for the whole gig, so he gets to do whatever he wants to. Go Neil.

Having visited your YouTube page, and listened to some of your work, there is no doubt you are a talented multi instrumentalist.

What I do find a little strange is launching what appears to be an incredibly provocative post. Yes, everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it, however, there are better ways to initiate a discussion, and perhaps showcase your music.

Judge not lest ye be judged, I guess.

Not analogous. I had an opinion of a third party. You found it necessary to disparage me personally. Get how that works?

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that first count, actually.

That's your right, as erroneous as it may be. : )

I didn't claim to be a drummer slash bass player.

No claim. Just stating that there are many aspects to one's ability. Neil is great at some things, others are great at others. Maybe you're great at something. Post some samples and we'll talk.

Having visited your YouTube page, and listened to some of your work, there is no doubt you are a talented multi instrumentalist.

What I do find a little strange is launching what appears to be an incredibly provocative post. Yes, everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it, however, there are better ways to initiate a discussion, and perhaps showcase your music.

Point taken. It's a little provocative. But hey, it gets a discussion going.

Again, no disrespect to Neil. I said he's great. But awkwardly out of his league at jazz -- just as I am at opera and I admit it. : )

I'm fairly sure they never use clicks live. Trigger loooooong samples here and there, yes, but playing any whole songs to a click, no.

On a few select songs, Neil has used a click live.

If you watch "The Weapon" from the Grace Under Pressure live DVD, Neil is using a click.
Also on "Red Sector A" and perhaps one or two others.

Although, largely, they don't, which is pretty amazing he can lock in with some the longer samples triggered in real time without any click. Particularly the piano sequencer at the end of "Spirit of Radio"; how he doesn't screw that up nightly without a click is beyond me.

I'd be happy to be judged by my playing in the late 80s - I never got back what I lost after my long break in the 90s/00s.

this is interesting to me because in the last 4 years, i have had difficulties and felt it would have been much better if i had started at 15 or so. the first 3 times i sat behind a drum kit at 25 through 26, i made recordings that i still think are ok. one was "Bang A Gong" in a backyard jam, and the other two were originals of mine recorded later that year and the next year in a studio proper. at 33, i think i still had it - just backbeat stuff, but i felt i had what it takes, if only i had regular access to a kit to work on things..

but then something strange happened. from 34 through about 51, i felt like an uncoordinated klutz whenever i sat behind a drum set. only in the last year have i been pretty pleased with my playing. and in the last two months in particular i'm starting to see daylight. i feel i'm starting to be the drummer i always wanted to be.

this is a very interesting quote for me. what is that you think you've lost and why can't you get it back ?

1) Because he puts on headphones for those songs that he otherwise doesn't use.

2) He's said so in interviews.

Ah. I’ll have to pull out my copy of the vid. I don’t recall him wearing obvious headphones live, but I’ve heard him saying they don’t use backing tracks ever. It seems odd that a band of their stature would play to a click live if there’s no backing tracks.

Not analogous. I had an opinion of a third party. You found it necessary to disparage me personally. Get how that works?

No, I don't get it. You're free to judge other people's playing, but no one is free to judge yours? Where do you get that?

No claim. Just stating that there are many aspects to one's ability. Neil is great at some things, others are great at others. Maybe you're great at something. Post some samples and we'll talk.

I don't know, maybe we're on your local little jazz station- we've got new playlists coming in almost every day right now. Otherwise, you'll have to use the mouse God gave you and hit my link.

Ah. I’ll have to pull out my copy of the vid. I don’t recall him wearing obvious headphones live, but I’ve heard him saying they don’t use backing tracks ever. It seems odd that a band of their stature would play to a click live if there’s no backing tracks.
Agreed. There's no real reason to play to a click live...unless you have backing tracks.
For the record...I think Neil is great. I'm not a big fan of RUSH though.

Last edited:

There is a difference between backing tracks and triggering a sequencer though. Semantics though, really.

The Weapon and Red Sector A both have sequencers going through out the songs that Neil has to lock in with.

But outside of those two songs, and perhaps one or two others, they do not use clicks on stage.

If you ever have a chance to see the band live in person up close, it is amazing how much each of them work to trigger the sounds heard. Alex and Geddy both have foot boards triggering sound effects and sequences, and on some songs, Neil is triggering keyboard sounds from his pads. When sitting further back, a lot of the subtle moves are not as noticeable. So when they say no backing tracks, what they mean, no one is off stage running a tape or behind a curtain pushing buttons for them; they trigger everything themselves live in real time.

Last edited:

If you watch "The Weapon" from the Grace Under Pressure live DVD, Neil is using a click.
Also on "Red Sector A" and perhaps one or two others.

Although, largely, they don't, which is pretty amazing he can lock in with some the longer samples triggered in real time without any click. Particularly the piano sequencer at the end of "Spirit of Radio"; how he doesn't screw that up nightly without a click is beyond me.

I had an old live sound mag in the mid '90s where they went over Rush's stage setup for the T4E tour. I no longer have it, so I can't reference it again. But I seem to recall them saying that they use no click at all and how amazing it is that Peart can do that with those long sequence parts.

Also, Alex and Geddy apparently trigger many of those sequence parts using a foot midi controller, so they have to be right on the money too.

Those guys have background vocals and all kinds of stuffed sequenced nowadays, so it's even more amazing now if he's not using a click.

I'm afraid that would be impossible.

How is that impossible? When Alex or Geddy steps on a foot midi controller to start a keyboard sequence, that sequence can include backing vocals as well.

Of course, I have no first hand knowledge of them doing this. Just going from memory and what I read in that mag.

Sure seems like the whole show would be alot easier if they sequenced the backing tracks.

Back