Wow...AC/DC call it quits

tamadrm

Platinum Member
From what I understand,AC/ DC co founder ,Malcolm Young,suffered a stroke recently,but was well enough to try to start work on the bands new album.He discovered that he couldn't play as well as he normally could,and so the band decided to just pull the plug.I also understand the media in OZ is having a field day with this. I would think that most would reguard the band as a national treasure...no?

Me thinks Phil Rudd,will be looking for a gig.I have to give them credit,for not replacing Malcolm(even though they have replaced members before),and going out gracefully.

Steve B

Didn't know he had a stroke. I think ending AC/DC is the elegant thing to do. I liked how Zep called it quits when Bonzo died, and others who do the same. It says something about what the band is, and WHO really is in the band. I suppose they could have done the same when Bon Scott died, but only then had they finally just started to make it.

If Angus is the AC, then Malcolm would be the DC, and you can't have the AC without the DC. Bummer man.

Yes and no.....

depending on which article you read
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6053874/acdc-not-quitting-retirement-rumors

Reports surfaced Monday in the group's native Australia that the quintet was on the verge of announcing its retirement due to one band member's (presumably guitarist Malcolm Young's) serious illness. But insiders tell Billboard that there's no truth to the rumor, though the group's management and Columbia Records, its current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter.

Australia's Noise11.com adds that the source of the retirement rumor was an email sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.

Living under a rock as I do, I missed these stories. News is increasingly unreliable (if it ever was reliable) because of the competition in the 24/7 news cycle. There's no consequences for airing wrongful stories; even the most egregious blunders are buried under the distraction of the next week's news stories.

So editors are more likely to take the risk of breaking a story and being wrong than to wait for confirmation and be gazumped by more daring outlets.

I'd wait for a release from the band's management. Better still, from the mouth of Angus.

Personally, I find it amazing that a band can play such same-y music for 40 years. The same timbres, volumes, beats, chords and themes over and over and over ... I'd have gone spare.

From what I understand,AC/ DC co founder ,Malcolm Young,suffered a stroke recently,but was well enough to try to start work on the bands new album.He discovered that he couldn't play as well as he normally could,and so the band decided to just pull the plug.I also understand the media in OZ is having a field day with this. I would think that most would reguard the band as a national treasure...no?

Hadn't heard reports of a stroke as yet.
The media here has so far reported that Acca Dacca will apparently retire from touring but may release more albums in the future (won't know for sure until we hear it from the horse's mouth I guess).

"If" no Malcolm in the middle and they threw in the towel, it'd then be just a matter of time directly related to the balance of their account$. A proven barometer.

I saw AC?DC on their first US tour, no more than 30 ppl in the theater (seriously). Bon Scott, sure they were just starting out when he passed, but the band won't be any weaker w/o Malcolm if, Scott already proved that.

The pioneering group dispelled speculation that they would disband after Young, 61, took his leave, saying "the band will continue to make music."

"Malcolm would like to thank the group's diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support," the group said in a statement.
The band did not say what sort of illness Young was suffering from or whether it would cease from touring without one of its founding members.
The Scotland-born Young founded AC/DC with his younger brother, Angus, in 1973. The band has withstood the loss of a key member in the past, in particular when lead singer Bon Scott died in 1980.
Their 1980 album "Back in Black" is one of the top-selling albums of all time, with more than 20 million in U.S. sales alone. AC/DC most recently completed a 20-month world tour in 2010 in support of their 2008 album "Black Ice."

Seems strange that their last tour was 2010, for an album from 2008. Have they done nothing new?

I hope he gets well during some time off. At least they're all sitting on piles of money with Back In Black royalty checks still coming in.

Seems strange that their last tour was 2010, for an album from 2008. Have they done nothing new?

'Ended' in 2010...after almost a two year tour, which is pretty impressive.

"AC/DC most recently completed a 20-month world tour in 2010 in support of their 2008 album "Black Ice."

Back