Wow! 10th Anniversary Sonor SQ2 Cast Bronze...

That's a huge kit, and amazing finish too. You're not playing around!

What shell depths are you going with?
Many thanks, IBPH!

Nah, just never enjoyed a kit of any quality in my life, having always played second-hand, beat-up, miss-matched, low end of the scale, wrong colour kits, so this kit represents my lifelong dream of owning something I can truly be proud of, something that reflects me and my likes, and in light of planning my retirement as of next September (2020), I felt a high-end kit would make for a great retirement gift to myself.

Re: shell depths, I'm at a crossroads with that.

My original choice was - Bass Drums - 22x14 - 24x16
Rack Toms - 8x7 - 10x8 - 12x9 - 13x10 - 14x11 - 15x12
Floor Toms - 16x16 - 18x18

However, DCP, posted a video a Pearl Stadium kit with deeper toms, which I fell in love with, so option #2...
Bass Drums - 22x14 - 14x16
Rack Toms - 8x8 - 10x9 - 12x10 - 13x11 - 14x12 - 15x13

I considered reducing the depth of the floor toms by one inch - 16x15 - 18x17, but felt the original larger depth option was more in tune with a kit this size.

Last edited:
Wowie Zowie - that's a little bit too much of everything for me.

It'll sure be a sight to see though.
Roaring with laughter!

Originally, I was thinking four rack toms, but adding two more seemed like the right thing to do.

As a kid I played a one-up, one-down configuration, adding an additional floor tom some years later, and finally moving up to a four rack tom configuration which I enjoyed immensely, so adding two additional rack toms this time around, I felt would not only allow me to expand on my playing, but would allow me to explore new horizons as far as drum covers and such goes.

Hey Stroker. That is one beautiful snare. Can't wait for the pic's on the new SQ2 kit. Lots of pic's with both.
Many thanks, Force!

It's a deal! (y)

In my opinion, that is one of the most beautiful veneers Sonor has ever offered, and even more so in high gloss. Yours will be a stunning set. Congratulations!
Many thanks, DH! Yes, my sentiment exactly!

Initially when I set out to put an SQ2 kit together for myself, I knew nothing about ALPI Veneers, however, thanks to a long-time member of this forum, I was educated on Sonor's ALPI offerings, and quickly altered my original ALPI Rosewood choice for a REAL veneer, with African Marble coming out on top.

The cast bronze Sonor snare drum should marry well with the African Marble, while still providing a distinct contrast.

Couldn't go to a nicer guy either.

Our upcoming Sonor set REALLY sounds like fun.
Very kind words from a stand-up guy! Many thanks, Larry!

Indeed it does! (y)

@Stroker, does that snare overpower the rest of the kit? That's always been my concern with heavy metal drums like that.
I'm hoping the dynamics of the Birch Shells will help keep the bronze (somewhat) in check.

WOW

22,24??
You nailed it, Sir! (y)

Have always dreamed of owning a double bass setup with two different sized kicks, and the 22 and 24 seem like a perfect fit.

Re: shell depths, I'm at a crossroads with that.

My original choice was - Bass Drums - 22x14 - 24x16
Rack Toms - 8x7 - 10x8 - 12x9 - 13x10 - 14x11 - 15x12

However, DCP, posted a video a Pearl Stadium kit with deeper toms, which I feel in love with, so option #2...
Bass Drums - 22x14 - 14x16
Rack Toms - 8x8 - 10x9 - 12x10 - 13x11 - 14x12 - 15x13

I considered reducing the depth of the floor toms by one inch - 16x15 - 18x17, but felt the original larger depth option was more in tune with a kit this size.
Your original choice for depths is the best! You can easily get a deep sound from 1 in. shallower toms, and they'll be easier to transport and position over the bass drum.

The only thing I would do differently.....24x16" is a lot of depth for a 24" bass drum, you'd get better articulation from a 14" depth imo.

Some people may argue for a 18x16" instead of an 18x18". I think 16" is the standard for 18" toms because they have sooo much rumble already.

Regardless, your kit is gonna be killer!

Your original choice for depths is the best! You can easily get a deep sound from 1 in. shallower toms, and they'll be easier to transport and position over the bass drum.

The only thing I would do differently.....24x16" is a lot of depth for a 24" bass drum, you'd get better articulation from a 14" depth imo.

Some people may argue for a 18x16" instead of an 18x18". I think 16" is the standard for 18" toms because they have sooo much rumble already.

Regardless, your kit is gonna be killer!
Appreciate your input on depth options! Excellent food for thought. Many thanks!

Going to mull over your suggestions and take all into consideration.

Wow, what a snare drum !

As for the kit, it has been a long time coming.

The thouroughness of your decision process is nothing short of impressive.

I am certain you left no stune unturned and the final result is spectacular !

With all due respect considering what I just wrote, my sole suggestion would be to consider the addition of an 18x14 or 20x14 bd right away. You'll get a good price while ordering your whole kit whereas you'll get taken to the cleaner's if you ever decide to add one down the road.

Have a great summer !

Edit : or, if feasible, ordering the 18 ft with bd spur brackets and extra bd hoops, just in case. Again, just thinking out loud :)

Wow, what a snare drum !

As for the kit, it has been a long time coming.

The thouroughness of your decision process is nothing short of impressive.

I am certain you left no stune unturned and the final result is spectacular !

With all due respect considering what I just wrote, my sole suggestion would be to consider the addition of an 18x14 or 20x14 bd right away. You'll get a good price while ordering your whole kit whereas you'll get taken to the cleaner's if you ever decide to add one down the road.

Have a great summer !

Edit : or, if feasible, ordering the 18 ft with bd spur brackets and extra bd hoops, just in case. Again, just thinking out loud :)
My words exactly when I opened up the box! (y)

Thoroughness or ridiculousness, I haven't figured that one out yet. :p

Alex. Reflecting on the 18x14 or 20x14, are you thinking as a gong drum?

I was really thinking bd.

Single-headed gong drums do not do it for me as I doubt I would have use for one.

I never thought about an 18 bd before last year, and now I long for one.

Adding one to my existing kit would cost me as much as a brand new bop kit, and I don't need more shells sitting around.

I tweak my 22s with heads/tuning/beater combinations and the result is mostly there, but I wish I had thought of this possibility earlier and gone through with a complete set right from the start.

Just goes to say that we never know what we might need or want down the road.

As this is a forever kit, I would try and cover as many angles as possible.

Just a suggestion as talk is cheap, but add-ons are just out-of-this-world expensive in my experience.

I was really thinking bd.

Single-headed gong drums do not do it for me as I doubt I would have use for one.

I never thought about an 18 bd before last year, and now I long for one.

Adding one to my existing kit would cost me as much as a brand new bop kit, and I don't need more shells sitting around.

I tweak my 22s with heads/tuning/beater combinations and the result is mostly there, but I wish I had thought of this possibility earlier and gone through with a complete set right from the start.

Just goes to say that we never know what we might need or want down the road.

As this is a forever kit, I would try and cover as many angles as possible.

Just a suggestion as talk is cheap, but add-ons are just out-of-this-world expensive in my experience.
I've never warmed to the idea (or the sound) of gong drums either.

As for smaller bass drums, the only experience I have is tied to 22" and 24" versions.

Will be visiting YouTube to have a listen to other options.

Appreciate the input, Alex!

If you're ever planning to play jazz or play in small venues, an 18x14" bass drum would be perfect. You're essentially building a shell bank, and it wouldn't be complete without an 18" bass drum. (If you ever think you'll use it)

I like @Groov-E 's idea of getting an 18" bass drum that doubles as an 18" floor tom. Get some spurs and BD hoops on that thing!

It would save you ~$1,500 (just a guess) by not having to buy a separate 18" tom AND bass drum.

If you're ever planning to play jazz or play in small venues, an 18x14" bass drum would be perfect. You're essentially building a shell bank, and it wouldn't be complete without an 18" bass drum. (If you ever think you'll use it)

I like @Groov-E 's idea of getting an 18" bass drum that doubles as an 18" floor tom. Get some spurs and BD hoops on that thing!

It would save you ~$1,500 (just a guess) by not having to buy a separate 18" tom AND bass drum.
Being strictly an aficionado, I partake in no venue or out-of-home playing, but having a universal kick/floor tom option is intriguing. Definitely something for me to think about.

I'm on the final home-stretch as far as planning goes, with my next step being placing the order, so any/all input is very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Being strictly an aficionado, I partake in no venue or out-of-home playing, but having a universal kick/floor tom option is intriguing. Definitely something for me to think about.

I'm on the final home-stretch as far as planning goes, with my next step being placing the order, so any/all input is very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

That is the paradigm you are currently in, for the moment.

As people start to notice the drummer with the best attitude in Canada who has been practicing incredible grooves in his basement and has the coolest kit around, that paradigm might shift.

The way I see it, a couple 100$s more for the option of a small kick is not a significant amount considering the overall price of the kit.

I am certain you can work out a deal for a free "conversion" kit as a condition for you ordering from almost any dealer.

Last edited:
Back