Wow! 10th Anniversary Sonor SQ2 Cast Bronze...

Stroker

Platinum Member
The difference between thin, medium and heavy shells are pretty subtle, but still worth caring about for 'people like us.' haha

Here are the differences as I understand them: (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

[All these differences are slight, they aren't night and day]

Thin: lower fundamental note, more resonance, less projection
Medium: balanced
Heavy: higher fundamental note, less resonance, more projection

Thin is great for lighter styles, vintage styles, but doesn't cut quite as much. It doesn't take as much effort to excite the shells.
Medium is the best of both worlds.
Heavy is great for louder music where projection is necessary. It takes slightly more effort to excite the shells.

If you want more cut or bite or presence from, say, your bass drum.....make it a thicker shell. If you're more about nuance and delicate playing, choose a thinner shell.

All that being said, if for example you choose Heavy shells, they'll still sound great on a jazz gig.....and Thin shells will sound great at a rock gig. It won't be a huge difference one way or the other.
An enjoyable walk-through to better understanding! Many thanks, IBPH!

Stroker

Platinum Member
Pretty much spot-on IBPH.
And the differences will be most notable:

— for smaller (8”) and larger (18”) toms,
— from behind or in close proximity to the kit,
— in smaller rooms,
— unmiked...
— only to nerds like us. ;-)

Also worth mentioning is Sonor’s classifications are on the thinner side of what is generally considered for them:

Generally
Thin = < 6mm
Medium = 6 - 8mm
Thick = > 8mm

Sonor
Vintage tom = 4mm + 2mm re-ring
Vintage bass = 6mm + 2mm re-ring
Thin = 5mm (N/A for bass)
Medium = 6mm
Heavy = 8mm

Contrastingly, something like the Pearl Reference (original, not Pure) has 7.5mm toms and 10mm bass, and are considered medium and thick respectively.

Thus, think Sonor’s small variations all biased towards a thinner shell add to the subtlety.

EDIT: Forgot to note thin is n/a for bass drums.
Additional thanks to you as well, FT! Nothing like being taken under the wings of a member or two to help bolster ones sonic acumen.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Sweet mother of Jesus. That snare, and that kit... Congrats. Do you know when will the kit be delivered?
Beaming with joy over your reply, Sir! Many thanks to you! (y)

Re: the snare drum, I still find I'm pinching myself in disbelief that I actually own such a drum, and as for the SQ2 kit, I am just a few weeks, even days away from sending the order off, and according to Sonor, I should expect a 5-7 month turnaround respectively.

Will post a follow-up on the day I place the order, so all who have shown interest in this conversation can ride the wave with me.

I believe every musician no matter what level of mastery they exude, deserves to own and play something of quality, money be damned.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I picked up on a slight variation between the two, with triple flange coming on top for my ears.

Many thanks for providing direction to these sound files!
For me, the most noticeable difference between die cast and triple flange is the feel of the head. To me, the TF hoops allow for more give...like I can dig into the head a little... which I prefer. That being said, I play a set of Gretsch with Die Cast hoops and they don't feel like other sets I've played with Die Cast...they're very buoyant feeling...if that makes sense. I'm thinking the shell construction and bearing edges may be playing a role there.

Stroker

Platinum Member
For me, the most noticeable difference between die cast and triple flange is the feel of the head. To me, the TF hoops allow for more give...like I can dig into the head a little... which I prefer. That being said, I play a set of Gretsch with Die Cast hoops and they don't feel like other sets I've played with Die Cast...they're very buoyant feeling...if that makes sense. I'm thinking the shell construction and bearing edges may be playing a role there.
Many thanks for the superb insight, Inc!

Yes, makes total sense. Your Gretsch kit sounds like a dream. Beauty!