Wow! 10th Anniversary Sonor SQ2 Cast Bronze...

IBitePrettyHard

If you're ever planning to play jazz or play in small venues, an 18x14" bass drum would be perfect. You're essentially building a shell bank, and it wouldn't be complete without an 18" bass drum. (If you ever think you'll use it)

I like @Groov-E 's idea of getting an 18" bass drum that doubles as an 18" floor tom. Get some spurs and BD hoops on that thing!

It would save you ~$1,500 (just a guess) by not having to buy a separate 18" tom AND bass drum.

Stroker

Platinum Member
If you're ever planning to play jazz or play in small venues, an 18x14" bass drum would be perfect. You're essentially building a shell bank, and it wouldn't be complete without an 18" bass drum. (If you ever think you'll use it)

I like @Groov-E 's idea of getting an 18" bass drum that doubles as an 18" floor tom. Get some spurs and BD hoops on that thing!

It would save you ~$1,500 (just a guess) by not having to buy a separate 18" tom AND bass drum.
Being strictly an aficionado, I partake in no venue or out-of-home playing, but having a universal kick/floor tom option is intriguing. Definitely something for me to think about.

I'm on the final home-stretch as far as planning goes, with my next step being placing the order, so any/all input is very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Groov-E

Silver Member
Being strictly an aficionado, I partake in no venue or out-of-home playing, but having a universal kick/floor tom option is intriguing. Definitely something for me to think about.

I'm on the final home-stretch as far as planning goes, with my next step being placing the order, so any/all input is very much appreciated.

Many thanks!
That is the paradigm you are currently in, for the moment.

As people start to notice the drummer with the best attitude in Canada who has been practicing incredible grooves in his basement and has the coolest kit around, that paradigm might shift.

The way I see it, a couple 100$s more for the option of a small kick is not a significant amount considering the overall price of the kit.

I am certain you can work out a deal for a free "conversion" kit as a condition for you ordering from almost any dealer.

Last edited:

Stroker

Platinum Member
That is the paradigm you are currently, for the moment.

As people start to notice the drummer with the best attitude in Canada who has been practicing incredible grooves in his basement and has the coolest kit around, that paradigm might shift.

The way I see it, a couple 100$s more for the option of a small kick is not a significant amount considering the overall price of the kit.

I am certain you can work out a deal for a free "conversion" kit as a condition for you ordering from almost any dealer.
You've always been a stand-up member on the forum, Alex. Always a pleasure to interact with you. (y)

Your insight certainly measures up on the practicality side of things. Excellent advice, and do know I am carefully considering.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow Stroker (wonder where you've been?) that is just gorgeous-I'd use Kid gloves too. So you haven't had a chance to test drive it yet? How does it sound -out of the box? A friend of mine had/has a Sonor SQ2 he had built-he let me play it and it is one of the finest kits I ever played. I know you're going to love it. He had a Brady he let me play too which was a close second.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Wow Stroker (wonder where you've been?) that is just gorgeous-I'd use Kid gloves too. So you haven't had a chance to test drive it yet? How does it sound -out of the box? A friend of mine had/has a Sonor SQ2 he had built-he let me play it and it is one of the finest kits I ever played. I know you're going to love it. He had a Brady he let me play too which was a close second.
Good to hear from you, Arthur!

The white gloves are a reflection of my anal ways! :giggle:

I've never had the pleasure of playing a Sonor kit, but moving up from the run of the mill gear I've played my entire life to that of what Sonor produces, I just know I won't be disappointed.

Your words are music to my ears!

Many thanks to you for weighing in on this!

Such a beauty!!! Not that anybody would use a piece of art like this for playing, it's too precious and too expensive to use it as an ordinary instrument. But to have one in stock would make everybody happy I guess.

All_The_Drums

Congratulations, sir. That is indeed a very special drum! And that SQ2 kit is going to be one of the finest anywhere. We're really excited for you.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I am not trying to call the cops on your party, but you haven't played a Sonor kit? There is likely no way you will be let down with the quality or sound, so maybe that's why this is a no-brainer to you, but is there a shop near you to at least try out an SQ2 in your preferred shell type? If there aren't any shops close maybe make a weekend out of it and fly/drive to check one out?
To make things clear, I'm not telling you how to spend your money. If you put this order in tonight I'm positive you would be enamoured with the kit.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Congratulations, sir. That is indeed a very special drum! And that SQ2 kit is going to be one of the finest anywhere. We're really excited for you.
Many thanks!

You guys at DCP knocked it out of the park with this drum! Talk about a game-changer for me.

Stroker

Platinum Member
I am not trying to call the cops on your party, but you haven't played a Sonor kit? There is likely no way you will be let down with the quality or sound, so maybe that's why this is a no-brainer to you, but is there a shop near you to at least try out an SQ2 in your preferred shell type? If there aren't any shops close maybe make a weekend out of it and fly/drive to check one out?
To make things clear, I'm not telling you how to spend your money. If you put this order in tonight I'm positive you would be enamoured with the kit.
Digging the sounds of your words! Really helps shore this deal up for me.

It's true, I have never before experienced Sonor first-hand. As for authorized Sonor dealers around me, no problem there, a drop-in is absolutely doable.

Extending my appreciation to you for your thoughtfulness. Many thanks, Sir!

steadypocket

Gold Member
Congratulations on receiving that extraordinary instrument. I marveled at one of each size yesterday while visiting DCP. Alas, neither was for sale. I should have pulled the trigger while I had the opportunity.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Congratulations on receiving that extraordinary instrument. I marveled at one of each size yesterday while visiting DCP. Alas, neither was for sale. I should have pulled the trigger while I had the opportunity.
Many thanks!

They went fast.

Jbravo

Quite an investment, but a gorgeous, and I’m sure amazing sounding drum. It’s even better that it’s not intended to be a closet queen... Congratulations!!

Stroker

Platinum Member
Quite an investment, but a gorgeous, and I’m sure amazing sounding drum. It’s even better that it’s not intended to be a closet queen... Congratulations!!
Many thanks!

The drum is everything one can ever imagine a snare drum to be, and more. It really is a world-class instrument all the way around.

What a waste it would be to keep a drum of this excellence under lock and key, to reserve it for but an occasional glimpse.

fl.tom

Congratulations Stroker. This snare would be a pinnacle of sound, design and beauty for me as well. Great to hear it’s meeting and exceeding your expectations.

For your planned SQ2 kit, what sound characteristics/qualities drew you to the Birch shells? And, do you plan on varying shell thickness for any of the drums?

I believe you were initially attracted to Maple a few months ago (when deciding on Sonor over DW) so just curious what changed your mind. My current Sonor is thin-shell birch and I’ve played maple as well before so sincerely not trying to put you on the spot.

Knowing you were also looking for input on the configuration, my only suggestion would be bass drum depth considerations.

For your intended use, the 22” & 24” diameters seem to be a good fit. I have a 20” & 22” and could easily be swayed to 22” & 24” and still have versatility. And part of that versatility for me is tuning options... from both heads tuned the same pitch to a 4th or 5th apart within a fundamental range of about 5-7 semitones.

Similar to toms, I also rely more on head rebound than pedal rebound so I usually have a light spring tension on most pedals. As such air volume is an important factor and I tend to choose 20” - 24” BD depths based on overall air volume rather than just larger diameters = larger depths or everything at a 14” depth.

If you have a similar playing and tuning approach, I’d humbly recommend swapping the depths on the bass drums to 22x16” and 24x14”. These have volumes within 300 cubic inches of each other (~6079 ci & ~6330 ci respectively) and by using primarily only tuning I’m able to vary their sound from more punch to more boom while still maintaining good head rebound.

Just a suggestion though, there’s certainly other philosophies and approaches to selecting depths.

Again congratulations on your snare, and best of luck with your SQ2 design and order,