Would you sell your kit to its original owner?

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
A scenario: The original owner of your vintage kit tracks you down by Internet sleuthing and would like to buy the kit because they were forced to get rid of it long ago for some reason. What say you?

I pose this question because the original owner of my vintage car tracked me down through inquiries and eBay history. He did ask about getting it back but also took some time and told me the complete history up to the point of him selling due to a divorce.

Would you sell for the right amount or just listen to tales about all the sweet gigs it played way back?

It depends on a lot of things. Maybe, maybe not. If I loved the kit then yea, no. If it was stacked up, probably. Depends.

If I feel it's more of a totem to that person than it is to me, then yes, as long as the compensation is equitable.

Depends on the 'story'.
Selling a drum kit because of divorce, no. He had his priorities off.
Selling to pay for a loved one's medical bills or something, sure maybe.

If I loved it more than money could buy, then no I wouldn't sell it back to them.

If I didn't, then yes I probably would sell it, for a price that was fair to both of us.

If it's a car .... or a drum set ..... yeah, I'd probably sell it. For a profit, so I'd be able to get another drum set (or car) of equal or greater valve. Hardly anything is irreplaceable.​

If the person were nice and sincere then I would probably sell. I wouldn't want to take a loss on it but I am a sucker for people and their nostalgia.

I would tell him/her to buy another kit just like the one we both want.
Then we could swap kits, no problem.

If it's a car .... or a drum set ..... yeah, I'd probably sell it. For a profit, so I'd be able to get another drum set (or car) of equal or greater valve. Hardly anything is irreplaceable.​

That's how I look at it unless it's been decades and there's a lot of sentimental value. I've only had it for a few months so I told him I would consider selling but now have to make everything back that I invested. It's gonna suck to be his wallet haha.

Good man! That's why it helps to not get attached to stuff. I could sell off all my gear except maybe 2 snares that I love too much to part with and a high enough offer could probably motivate me to part with them.

I forget who said it here but love the sentiment "Its not about owning all the toys, its about getting to play with all the toys." Take the cash that he gives you and get yourself some nice, new (to you) car to drive around. Maybe something with racing stripes, I like those racing stripes...

What kind of car is it anyway?

Hmmm .. tough one. I actually wish I could find my very first drum kit, it had a snare that was quite valuable that I wasn't aware of as a 15 year old kid. So in that case, I can't say I wouldn't.

I would probably consider it, but definitely let him know that I wouldn't taking any loss on the sale!

Only if I wasn't also attached to it, and only if I was given a full replacement kit or car that I agreed with. Just getting money for what the kit "should" be worth would fall short for me. Kind of like how your car insurance can declare a "total loss" and then give you pennies for what they figure your car to be worth instead of just fixing the thing and actually giving you a usable car in the process.

Car? Who cares? Only question I need to ask is 1)does it go, and 2)does it carry a full drum kit?

It has a stripe! 1970 Dodge Charger.
Sweet, that was my first car I bought when I was about 19...rusty puke green color, but was excellent mechanically, with a strong 383 Magnum.

I still own that car, and would never sell it, and make the mistake your previous owner made.

Everything is for sale at the right price.

If the previous owner will pay you enough to buy another that is at least as good, then go for it.

That said, I know from owning classic cars, that there are plenty out there that are shiny but shitty, and that getting a so-so example up to standard costs plenty. This isn't an argument against selling, it just means you should make sure that the price you ask suits you and not the PO.

I've only had it for a few months so I told him I would consider selling but now have to make everything back that I invested. It's gonna suck to be his wallet haha.
And indeed, he should pay ..... if he wants to play. Being he actively sought you out. It's not like you were selling the car, and he saw the add. Car guys know the game. And non-car guys shouldn't be allowed to play. Definitely get all your money out of the Charger .... and a couple grand for your trouble. Base price for one in decent condition, the "low" end is probably around $16 - 20K. Depending on what you have, yeah, this cat needs to pay or get off the field.​
Back in the 80's, I had a '67 Olds 442 ..... and later, a '67 GTO. Both had 400 c.i.d.'s.​

Definitely play up the "this is the car I've ALWAYS dreamed of owning!" angle, to forewarn him that it won't be easy to pry the steering wheel from your hands.

But, I'll say this, too...as a guy who has owned such a car, and put a ton of money, blood, sweat & tears into it during the years I owned it...if you're willing to let it go just based on money, the previous owner probably deserves it more than you do. ;)

I'm loathe to sell things I may regret later, which is why I'll never sell my Charger or GN. I invested far too much in them--financially and with my own hard work--to let them go so easily to somebody who only wants to drive around in an already-restored car. They may be able to afford it...but perhaps don't deserve it. :)

One time, I did.

Because it turned out to have been stolen.

But I got paid for the effort I had put in to cleaning and restoring it. So it wasn't all bad.

But I still wish I had that drum set!

Back