Would you? Potential trade

CYP47

I just finished taking the heads and hoops of the renown’s so I can replace all the heads. These drums are made every bit as well if not better then the dw performance series I traded. IMO anyway.

gish

It worked! Thank you.
Beautiful finish on that Renown kit! Would you mind posting back here after you’ve had some time with the kit and share your thoughts? I have become infatuated with the Gretsch sound over the past year and am considering swapping my Starclassic for a Renown.

CYP47

Beautiful finish on that Renown kit! Would you mind posting back here after you’ve had some time with the kit and share your thoughts? I have become infatuated with the Gretsch sound over the past year and am considering swapping my Starclassic for a Renown.
Will do

incrementalg

Gold Member
Larry, is right regarding the tone. If it's what inspires you to play, then its worth considering. If you feel like you'll take a loss on the DWs, then why not sell 'em and buy a used renown set? The older Renowns aren't expensive and there's no shortage of them for sale.

STAXfan

Renowns—especially the original Renowns with die cast hoops and 100% North American rock maple—are definitely NOT a step down from the DW Performance series. Don't let the mid-level price and Taiwanese manufacturing fool you into thinking they are lesser tier in any way. These are essentially USA Customs for those who don't want to spend $3-4k. I've A/B'ed mine against USAs, and the differences are astonishingly small. I have a great ear for drum tones, and I was struggling to even hear a difference.
I agree. Every time I've played Gretch renown in drum shops I've been amazed at how great they sound. I'm a Ludwig guy, but if I was going to buy a set of Gretsch I would choose the Renown over the Gretsch USA. The USA's seem to be very inconsistent. They seem to have a big quality control issue.

While on the topic of Gretsch drums, I purchased a Gretsch 125th anniversary maple snare drum brand new when they came out. It is without a doubt one of the best sounding snares I've ever played. It's the only Gretch drum I've ever owned, but it is a killer snare. It has a very beautiful tone! It also has one of the widest tuning ranges. I've purchased two new Ludwig snares this past month and need to sell it. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for it though. I've had it on Ebay twice but only one bid. That was from one of the questionable warehouses that ship the drum overseas. I always state U.S. shipping only. Nothing overseas. But these scammers will bid.

CYP47

After many delays I could not help I finally got them set up and dialed in. During my frustrating delays I was about to just sell both kits but decided to hang on to the Renown’s and I sure am glad I did. They are absolutely incredible. Now to find a 16” floor Tom.