Would you play gigs with it ?

RickP

Gold Member
Somebody on drumforum.org post a pic of a Sonor SQ2 kit with an African Marble veneer - a beautiful and expensive kit to be sure . He mentioned that he would probably be hesitant to take it out on a gig .

Now let me ask , if you had an Uber high end drum set with some exotic veneer or other expensive finish would you take it to gigs ? Would you just keep it at home ?

I was a single kit owner for a long time and I played what I had . I took good care of my kit and made sure I did all the transporting . Now the reason for this background is that any kit I own gets taken to gigs . I am careful with my equipment and I like a beautiful kit as the next person . I won’t own a kit to just keep it in my house .

So my question is - would you take a very expensive kit and take it to your gigs or would you stash it away ?

Taking that kind of expensive, beautiful kit on a gig is just asking for trouble IMO. If I wear a raggedly old t-shirt to a BBQ joint or an Italian restaurant I would leave with a nice clean, raggedly old t-shirt. If I wear a white dress shirt...you'd be able to tell what I had for dinner just by looking at the shirt.

I would never own a kit like that...you know...cause of being poor

That's one of those things like, what are we really doing here? If you're not going to use it, what's the point? And given that there are bass players taking $100k 17th century instruments out to play weddings-- just use the thing.

I sort of live in this mind set as well...because of...you know...being poor

I'd reserve it for weddings and better paying gigs. There are a few bars where I wouldn't take a nice set like that. If I were playing more often and better gigs, I'd make sure my insurance covered damage.

I used to play with a cellist / bass player who paid $75K for his bow - no idea what the cello was worth.

If I had roadies and the kit went from cases, to set up, to break down, to cases. Sure. Or if I had the money for the kit I would have money for the replacements. And plenty of insurance.

This topic arose in a thread a few weeks ago. Here's my stance: It depends on the setting and conditions. Would I take an ultra-expensive kit with a sensitive veneer to an upscale setting in a climate-controlled facility with a well-behaved audience who would have no access to my gear? Probably. Would I take it to a backyard party on a cloudy, humid day that promised precipitation or to a dive bar that had no stage and was riddled with stumbling drunks? Of course not. Common sense should be conspicuous here.

I think it depends on the gig.

We often discuss choosing the "right gear" for a gig in terms of thick/thin or loud/soft or big/small, but thinking in terms of quality, durability, and replaceability is absolutely something I consider when it comes to matching the right equipment for the job.

We often discuss choosing the "right gear" for a gig in terms of thick/thin or loud/soft or big/small, but thinking in terms of quality, durability, and replaceability is absolutely something I consider when it comes to matching the right equipment for the job.

I ALWAYS consider venues when buying gear...and most of the venues I play in would be considered "rough" - not violent - but just "rough', so I only want gear for those situations that could withstand a spilled drink, or a mosh pit that surges on to the stage.

Somebody on drumforum.org post a pic of a Sonor SQ2 kit with an African Marble veneer - a beautiful and expensive kit to be sure . He mentioned that he would probably be hesitant to take it out on a gig .

Now let me ask , if you had an Uber high end drum set with some exotic veneer or other expensive finish would you take it to gigs ? Would you just keep it at home ?

I was a single kit owner for a long time and I played what I had . I took good care of my kit and made sure I did all the transporting . Now the reason for this background is that any kit I own gets taken to gigs . I am careful with my equipment and I like a beautiful kit as the next person . I won’t own a kit to just keep it in my house .

So my question is - would you take a very expensive kit and take it to your gigs or would you stash it away ?
I would. That’s why I buy it - to play it out in public in front of people. Otherwise, what’s the point?

I'm in Bo's camp there too. When I gigged on past sets, I realized that in my world, my drums are not that much at risk. In other words it didn't matter what I brought. I don't feel the risk, so why not? If I did feel risk, yea different story.

I can't live in fear of the what if's, it's too paralyzing.

I would use it for concert hall or wedding gigs. I would not take it to dive bars or outdoor festivals.

I use to place sentimental value on things that just collected dust so as of late I've been getting rid of everything that doesn't see regular use, including drums.

I don't care if my kit cost $300 or $3000, if I can't/won't gig it... I don't own it.

Last edited:

What Mr. Wolf says. Another reason why I don't buy satin finish or semi gloss stain drums. I'd rather take my chances with about 6 or 8 coats of lacquer, depending on the manufacturer.

This is part of the reason why, as a bass player, I have basses at radically differing price points... They're all good, and more than good enough to gig with, but I know which one goes to the thrasher bars. ;)

I think a big part of the decision would be whether it was someone's only kit or not. :unsure:

I agree. I only keep one kit on hand. I prefer playing a 2 piece but I own a 4 piece with a dedicated bag set, I have a ton of flexibility and have gained many gigs due to my adaptability. I use hats and a versatile ride and no other cymbals. Everything mentioned above cost me about $1200 total if you include heads. I'm going to ride that thing into the ground lol.

Back