Would you play gigs with it ?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I doubt the average audience member would know the difference between an expensive well kept kit from an inexpensive well kept kit.

You will always get people who are fans of the drums...just like any other instrument. But the majority don't think about it just like the majority are not thinking about what amp brand the guitar player is using.

So to me it's a risk assessment thing. I've been doing it for 3 years and I've had probably 3 tripping people that fell into a little part of my set. I'm not saying nothing bad can happen. I just look at it like hey I've been playing out for like 25 years total now, and all my sets, expensive or not...have been just fine. I have a set of lacquered exotic DW's live in my van uncased that gets hot in summer and cold in winter...for 4 years. They look great still. I don't serve the drums they serve me is my POV. Drums aren't nearly as fragile as guitars. I used a set of custom made walnut stained and clear poly'ed birch Eames drums in the 80's. Never cased. They're still here. The finish doesn't look amazing anymore lol.

I wonder...would it be easier to gig out a $1,500 dollar snare compared to a whole kit?

Darth Vater

The logic? of not using an expensive kit is as dumb as buying a $400,000 Rolls Royce or Bentley and not driving it on city streets. Then again, maybe the purchase was NOT to use but to place in a position of shrine and worship. Perhaps in it's own room with spotlights and velvet ropes around it. You could add a comfortable chair or two with a small table and bottle of your favorite drink to sip while you stare in lust at that wonderful wood and shiny cymbals. You also might charge admission to those who want to witness the majesty of it all. JUST DON'T TOUCH. Please exit to the left. Thank you.
A rather ridiculous assertion in that many people with one or more kits that I know probably play their home, or studio, kit more than they do a kit that might do a few of the dive gigs. You seem to have an ax to grind with people that like nice kits or have more than one to choose from.

C.M. Jones

I wonder...would it be easier to gig out a $1,500 dollar snare compared to a whole kit?
What I find challenging about that question isn't the concept of gigging with a $1,500.00 snare; it's envisioning a snare on which I'd be willing to drop $1,500.00. So far as I know, nothing in existence fits my criteria.

BruceW

I can't afford higher end stuff, so I have no perspective. I would assume that if I could afford to buy it, it wouldn't seem as precious as it does to me right now... i see people talking about their new $1000 snare, and i have no perspective.

That, and the places that I gig, well... I might consider taking expensive fancy gear to some of them. The other factor for me is that I don't take my gear to my gigs, it stays in our band trailer. And I don't handle everything in and out of the trailer, every time. We all lug all of the gear in and out. I'd be a lot more fearful with a $1000 snare drum getting mishandled.

That having been said, if I had the wherewithal to have such nice stuff, I could and probably would adapt, so that I could use it. As most folks have said here, what's the point in having it, if you don't play it?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Here's an account that might lend legs to my "it depends" status on the question. Years ago, I was gigging at a venue with a notoriously rowdy patronage. Between sets, I stepped outside to chat with associates. A bandmate raced out to alert me to the fact that some overzealous lush had perched himself atop my throne and was thrashing about like Jack the Ripper. It took two security guards to remove the miscreant from the premises. Amid the silly struggle, my hi-hats took a spill. Nothing was damaged, to my relief, but that's beside the point. My thesis is that lunatics are real. Equipment in some settings is vulnerable to violation. When you venture beyond the confines of your sequestered studio, you do so at your own risk. Prudence is a cardinal virtue.
That could happen at a black tie wedding, so I’m not sure if “it depends” qualifies anything.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I toured with Sonorlites. I played gigs everywhere with that set. That set is still in almost perfect condition. I have no problem playing out with a high-end fancy set.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think for the most part that people buying the highest of high end drums kits (SQ2, Tama Star, Yamaha PHX etc etc.) have more than one kit. I don't begrudge anybody wanting nice things and taking care of them. Everybody should have one kit they're willing to take into the Devil's Den. It should probably be red too! :devilish:
Although you’re probably correct on these types of players having more than one kit (I know I did), this is exactly why I got away from having these “second” kits. They never sound like the high end kit you own and it was dumb to invest in the high end kit if you’re gonna be paranoid about where you take it. Unless you have more than one high end kit (and I did that too). If I’m going to be protective of my gear, it never leaves my sight.

Yamaha Rider

Here's an account that might lend legs to my "it depends" status on the question. Years ago, I was gigging at a venue with a notoriously rowdy patronage. Between sets, I stepped outside to chat with associates. A bandmate raced out to alert me to the fact that some overzealous lush had perched himself atop my throne and was thrashing about like Jack the Ripper. It took two security guards to remove the miscreant from the premises. Amid the silly struggle, my hi-hats took a spill. Nothing was damaged, to my relief, but that's beside the point. My thesis is that lunatics are real. Equipment in some settings is vulnerable to violation. When you venture beyond the confines of your sequestered studio, you do so at your own risk. Prudence is a cardinal virtue.
Dear Prudence - won't you come out to play? No.

Yamaha Rider

What I find challenging about that question isn't the concept of gigging with a $1,500.00 snare; it's envisioning a snare on which I'd be willing to drop $1,500.00. So far as I know, nothing in existence fits my criteria.
It would need Bernard Purdie attached to it for that money.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thankfully, I don't have to ask myself this question. They're built to be played, so they get played, & if they did get damaged, it's likely easy enough for me to fix them.

rhumbagirl

If I just bought the kit, I wouldn't gig with it right away. I'd learn how to handle. I'd make sure I had the right cases for it - padded SKBs are my choice. If it's a high gloss wood finish, then even more hesitation. If my band members like to play drunk, then it depends but probably staying at home.

Another factor is discretionary income. If I saved several years for a Sonor SQ2 kit, and I'm not a pro drummer, I'm likely to keep the sucker at home.

C.M. Jones

That could happen at a black tie wedding, so I’m not sure if “it depends” qualifies anything.
"Could" but likely wouldn't. I've played lots of weddings, corporate gatherings, and similar events over the years, and while I've witnessed some less than refined behavior, I've never had anyone descend upon my drum set. People usually uphold at least a miniscule air of social obligation at formal gatherings, as their identities are known and as untoward behavior could have lasting ramifications. Public venues, on the other hand, are worlds unto themselves. The worst can come out of people. Anonymity enables mischief.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
"Could" but likely wouldn't. I've played lots of weddings, corporate gatherings, and similar events over the years, and while I've witnessed some less than refined behavior, I've never had anyone descend upon my drum set. People usually uphold at least a miniscule air of social obligation at formal gatherings, as their identities are known and as untoward behavior could have lasting ramifications. Public venues, on the other hand, are worlds unto themselves. The worst can come out of people. Anonymity enables mischief.
My point is is that nobody knows. And I certainly wouldn’t take your word for it. That’s just how it is.

Lee-Bro

I have more than one kit. My main kit is my DW Collectors. Since I picked up this kit, there have been only 2 gigs it didn't go and that was because I needed a smaller footprint due a small playing area. I used my Sonor Safari kit for those 2 gigs. My other kits are rehearsal kits because I don't want to schlep gear around between rehearsals and the house.

If I have to worry about my kit getting damaged by rowdy patrons, I probably shouldn't be at the gig anyway. Frankly, I don't do the "black t-shirt tour" (dive/punk bars) any more. I did it in my 20s and that was enough for me. I've had to push away drunk guys who were dancing/falling towards me and my kit. I'm done w/ that environment.

RickP

Gold Member
All of this has me thinking I should buy a second, cheap “beater” kit, so I can keep my beautiful $300 Yamaha Stage Custom at home safe and sound.....
You forgot to add best value kit made today after the words Stage Custom :D

Reactions: Jml