Would you feel guilty about wrapping a lacquered drum?

incrementalg

Gold Member
My Gretsch New Classic kit is a limited run turquoise sparkle wrap...4pc with one up, one down. I'd like to make it a 5 piece by adding an 8x10 and in order to do that I'll need to find an orphan drum and wrap it to match.
So far the only orphans I've found have been lacquered drums. I think I'd feel guilty about wrapping a beautiful lacquered drum for two reasons... 1) Because it's lacquered and 2) Because I'd be denying someone else the chance to own a lacquered drum that matches their lacquered kit.

Would you feel guilty? Am I crazy?

Underneath the lacquer is the same ply drum. It doesn't care. Be prideful in doing a good job of wrapping it. Someone else has had the exact same chance to own the drum as you, only they didn't bid as high/didn't get there first etc.

Wrap it. Rock on.

Chris

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would not. Its much easier than wrapping a wrapped drum. Heads may not fit unless you remove the old wrap first and sometimes that can be a chore. If you find the size you need buy it and wrap it.
I have an 8 x 10 Catalina Maple in Cherry lacquer if you are interested. Let me know

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Guilt. What a waste of time and energy. Just wrap it. Who cares what's there now? No feelings will be hurt, I promise lol.

FWIW, I wrapped a lacquer drum because I wanted a WMP look, not some stupid sparkle fade.

mandrew

Gold Member
Before I would wrap anything, I would have to have a good reason. A bunch of orphans? Wrap them. Scratched up and beaten looking drums? Wrap them. Ugly color? Wrap them. New Gurus? Uhhhh . . . . . Ummmmm . . . . . I can't bring myself to warp any decent natural wood drum (how about a few coats of latex paint?).

KamaK

Platinum Member
Closest bet sonically would be to find an 8" Renown and wrap it. The biggest aesthetic difference between the NC and the Renown will be the gladstone lugs. If you end up with an RN, you can grab the NC style mount the RN1 uses for about $30.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Lacquered finishes resonate wonderfully. Better than wrapped shells.
Is this a measured, documented phenomenon, backed up with a/b testing, or is this what you would expect to find?

Genuinely curious to know.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Is this a measured, documented phenomenon, backed up with a/b testing,
In all honesty... It probably is somewhere

I have little doubt that wrap dampens things a bit. I have no reason to believe that it matters enough to notice on 95% of the ply-shells out there. Lacquer on a Pearl Export magically won't make it sound like a Vision. Wrap a Guru on the other hand... Would it still be a Guru?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
In all honesty... It probably is somewhere

I have little doubt that wrap dampens things a bit. I have no reason to believe that it matters enough to notice on 95% of the ply-shells out there. Lacquer on a Pearl Export magically won't make it sound like a Vision. Wrap a Guru on the other hand... Would it still be a Guru?
A wrap on this drum construction won't make much (if any) difference. Besides, the rest of the kit is wrapped, so all is good. However - caution: If the existing lacquer is fairly thick, the two finishes in combination could produce a slightly more focussed affect, but more importantly, a potential head flesh hoop fit issue that may necessitate a work around.

Warning! Wrapping a Guru, or even considering the possibility, is an offence punishable by a fate worse than death (namely a week at the buttstrap Eder school of revolving drums followed by another week of "how to patent an existing bearing edge" presentation by a marketing expert!