Would like to get some real lightweight soft cases... Options?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I'd like to get some really lightweight cases or even bags to protect against scratches when transporting. Cases I can wad up and stuff inside each other at the gig. Not for protection from dropping or anything.

Honestly, it would be cool to have a huge "crown royal" style bags. That would be awesome!

Any suggestions? Do these really lightweight cases/bags exist?

Setup is Ludwigs - 26, 14, 16, 18 (although the 18 will stay at home and continue to look nice in the corner of my studio. Lol)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The depth of the drums will govern where you can source your bags - not everyone offers traditional sizes, for instance. If you check out GC's Roadrunner bags - which are good bags and not too expensive - you'll find that you can't even get the very common 16x22" kick bag (don't even ask about a 14x22!) Not sure they even have a 26" bag.

I'd suggest Beato for the widest variety of sizes (that's one reason I endorse them) but you may not find them in every store. Humes & Berg are also good and I'm sure they also have the sizes you'll need. Both companies offer a lightish bag.

Bermuda

geezer

I have a set of the Humes and Berg Tuxedo bags for one of my kits and they're very light and easy to squash up and fit inside each other for compact storage when you're not using them.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Thanks everyone! I'll have to order online, because I don't think any store near me will have cases in these larger sizes.

The last set of cases I had for a Yamaha set was the h&b drum seeker model. Super nice, but a bit too much!

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I've used Gator, Beato, and the Ahead Armor bags.

If you're just looking for scratch and bump protection in the car on the way to the gig, the Gator/Beato bags provide that as well as the "wad them up and put them all in the bass drum bag" feature.

For a little more, the Ahead Armor bags also provide a little padding and are generally nicer quality than the Gator bags (or bags of that price point). I've had the shoulder strap rip off of a Gator bag, but the Ahead bags are rock solid. You can stack them inside of each other, but it's more of a nested doll type of thing instead of just throwing them in the bass drum case.

The Beato bags that I've had have also been good quality, but they are much harder to find online. There are super cheap bags that look like Beato bags, but it is hard to tell if those are real or a knock-off brand that may not be as well made.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I have a set of the Humes and Berg Tuxedo bags for one of my kits and they're very light and easy to squash up and fit inside each other for compact storage when you're not using them.
+1 for the Tuxedo bags. Given your sizes, you likely will not be able to find a "set" of bags from Gator, Roadrunner, etc. which can be cheaper. You will have to buy individually. Good news is, the Tuxedo line has a good variety if sizes. I like them because the fabric/padding combination is just enough that the bag will stand up on it's own, i.e. Not collapse, which is nice when putting the drum into the bag, but they will also squash up and fit together.

The Beato bags that I've had have also been good quality, but they are much harder to find online. There are super cheap bags that look like Beato bags, but it is hard to tell if those are real or a knock-off brand that may not be as well made.
I'm a little confused by the Beato bags. The true Fred Beato bags, made in the USA (I think these are the ones Bermuda uses) look very nice. But, the ones sold at Drum Factory Direct seem to be a different story. On the website, they're called "Elite Pro 3" and the picture clearly shows "Beato" on the bag. I bought one, and the word "Beato" was no where to be found -- not on the bag nor hang tag. The tag simply said "Elite Pro 3." It's OK, but not great, IMO. Modest padding, very floppy, and the handles are not as convenient as the H&B Tuxedo line. Not sure I would care for them for my entire set. As it is, I now use it to carry my stage snake, throne top, and Buttkicker paraphenalia.

Last edited:
G

Ghostnote

+2 on the Beato bags. I play the same sizes you have and Beato was the only company I found that offered the sizes I needed. Fred will custom make anything you need and talk to you personally to make sure your order and custom options are right.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Let me rephrase it. Do you guys know of any cheap piece of crap non-padded bags that will barely protect anything? Lol

It's not a matter of costs, but rather finding something that isn't real nice and padded.

Heck, I could just throw a sheet over them. Lol

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Here's a pic of the type of cases I'm talking about. These are vintage and I doubt any modern case company makes anything like this. Should've found the pic and included it in my original post.

Attachments

HMNY

Silver Member
How about Protection Racket? Great bags.
I will add a + 1 for Protection Racket, although they may be a little too padded if you really want just 'floppy' covers, might be an idea to see if you can see what your local musicians are using?

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I've had a set of Warwick Rockbags that I got for my 18th birthday. That was 10 years ago now and apart from the seam coming apart on the cymbal bag (which I can repair easily) they've been absolutely fantastic. I've used them on countless gigs.

The only downside from your perspective is that I wouldn't call them 'real lightweight'. They are light compared to full cases but are very well padded inside.

They are great cases though. I gave away the snare case years ago so I will be replacing that again seeing as it's possible there might be some gigging in the future...