Would i see any benefit in this excersize?

Bradastronaut

Well while practicing today i thought id adress an issue i have, which is the sticks clicking together while rolling around the tomes, i know this is lack of control playing on multiple surfaces so i figured ill play a simple excersize of four hits per surface between the snare and high tom, but the neighbors cant stand me playing these excersizes. Beats they can handle, but my snare without a pad on playing a constant single stroke roll on? Too loud for them, which is understandable, they let me get away with so much to begin with which i am very grateful for. So i toned down this excersize and played ghost notes on the snare (The tom has a mesh pad on), so it went like...ssssTTTTssssTTTT, i mean REALY quiet notes like purely wrist technique, i was just wondering if i would actualy get any benefits in this excersize or shall i just practice it full volume with the pads on?.

Mikecore

Silver Member
Since you are dealing with motor control and accuracy, the sound should not matter. I would use pads if it will keep from annoying the neighbors, becuase they are right about one thing for sure, it's very annoying to have to listen to that kind of "meaningless" repetition. Sadly for them, such repetition is how we develop certain skills that will have greater value later on. Until then it's just noise.

As for your exercise, learning how to do fours and twos around the kit is the basic stuff, followed by the ability to do them backwards and forwards without changing the sticking. I don't know how many drums you are dealing with, but assuming three toms and a snare, I would practice things like this:

(S=snare, H=high tom, M=middle tom, L=low tom)

Fours: SSSS HHHH MMMM LLLL MMMM HHHH SSSS (repeat)

Threes: SSS HHH MMM LLL MMM HHH SSS (repeat); This one is actually pretty easy on a regular 2-up, 1-down 5-piece if you start the triplets with your dominant hand (right hand for rightys, left hand for leftys).

Twos: SS HH MM LL MM HH SS (repeat); This is a little harder because you have to "see-saw" your sticking when moving from low to high. This means pulling your left stick out of the way so you can hit the right stroke "under" it before the left hand comes down.

Ones should be okay. (S H M L M H S) Like double bass speed, it's all a matter of building from slow precision to fast precision, and time in practice is the most reliable way to make it happen.

shadowlorde

in addition to mikecore's ideas .. also .. use a main drum and keep going back to it ...

s = snare h = high tom m = mid tom f = floor tom

so.... ssss hhhh ssss mmmm ssss ffff also instead of 4s do 2s , 8s 12s ... etc

then start on the high tom hhhh ssss hhhh mmmm hhhh ffff .. then start on the mid tom and repeat .. floor tom ... repeat ...

then make combinations ssss hhhh ssss ffff ssss hhhh mmmm ffff

Bradastronaut

Awesome stuff guys! Much appreciated.
I only play 1 up 1 down as its all my room fits :p So i shall just take out the mid tom from those excersizes and im good to go :D What tempo would you say i should start at? Like literally snails pace, 8th notes at 60bpm or something and just increase in 1bpm increments after 20 repetitions?

kettles

Gold Member
replace the mid tom with the ride bell, OR use your hi-hat as the high tom and your rack tom as the mid

Spreggy

Silver Member
Check out this page, there are three excerpts from a Rod Morgenstein's Drum Set Warm Ups book at the bottom

http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product_id=11333

They are SUPER beneficial, you'll be rolling like thunder after spending some time on these :)
Buy this book, you won't regret it. Also take a good look at your layout, the position of each drum, the angles, the playability of each drum and cymbal with each hand. Maybe you can find some inefficiencies there to clean up.
G/L!