Would a 20x10 bass drum work for small gigs?

Robzildjian

I have quite a few kits including downbeat sizes but sometimes I have to play very tight spaces and make low volume. I bought a very nice KD custom drums, now the British Drum Company, kit which has a12x6, a 14 x11 and also a 20 x 16 bass drum. I want to cut down the bass drum to make the super portable kit I have been looking for. i really fancy a 20x10 size as this will work with existing lug holes as they will be cleared. Anyone used a 20x10? Will it sound and play ok?

Absolutley. I gigged a 20x8 Ludwig Giglite for years. I like it so much that I cut down a Ludwig Classic Maple 24x16 to 24x9.

Save yourself some work, & cut down only the batter side. 20" x 12" will give you the portability you wish, but still retain a reasonable level of desirable lower overtones to fatten it out.

If you cut it down, don't you have to do a bearing edge?

Save yourself some work, & cut down only the batter side. 20" x 12" will give you the portability you wish, but still retain a reasonable level of desirable lower overtones to fatten it out.

Yesssss. 20x12 is the magic size ! Just right.

Are these small gigs without PA? I'm just wondering at what point does the kick drum start losing bass.

I'd vote for 20x12.

Thin BD's are hard to pull off. Not impossible, but you need to understand what you're getting into first (sonically).

Example of someone absolutely rocking a ~20x10.

A 20x10" will work for small gigs, but you'll definitely need to mic it for anything louder than a jazz combo volume level. I gig my Breakbeats kit with an acoustic guitar and upright bass...and I can't play without a mic on the kick. Granted, the 16" bass drum is a little quieter, but not by much.

I agree with everyone here, go for a 20x12" instead. That'll give you a little more low end and sustain. 20x10" may sound a little flat.

I used a 20 x 10 Wells Custom Drums bass drum along with a 10 x 6 rack Tom and 13 x 11 floor rom with legs to host an Open Jam for a year . It worked like a charm and was easy to transport .

I had a Premier Heritage Birch club kit with a 20 x 8” bass drum and quickly realized that it needed a ported resonant head as there was too much slap back from the beater . The extra 2” depth solves that as well .

Yes, but my point to the OP is this - why cut down both sides when you only need to cut down one side? One side is half the work, and doesn't risk the need to relocating the spur mounting points.
If you knew anything about drum building you could chime in.....until then shut your trap!

I’ve done gigs with the Pearl Rhythm Traveler 20x8, and when left wide open (PS3 batter and a Evans Hydraulic on the front) it did a great job. I’m partial to the 14” depth for 20” bass drums so I went that way.

If you knew anything about drum building you could chime in.....until then shut your trap!

I'm not sure if this irony on an extreme level, (Ironically what Alanis Morrisette wrote about wasn't irony!) or the driest sense of humour ever!

Arch nemesis strikes again = all is cool :)

You've been out of the game too long mate!

Last edited:
I'd vote for 20x12.

Thin BD's are hard to pull off. Not impossible, but you need to understand what you're getting into first (sonically).

Example of someone absolutely rocking a ~20x10.

Yes, Greg Saunier is one of my favorites ever!!

Back