Worst sounding drum track you have ever heard?

oldmetalhead

Are there any drum tracks that absolutely make you cringe? In the old days of analogue recordings there were many I could mention. The one drum recording that I absolutely hate to hear is from the Blizzard of Oz CD by Ozzy Osborne. The track is "No Bone Movies." In my opinion what makes it so horrible is that the snare drum sounds loose and the snares sound like they are barely making contact with the bottom head. The toms sound dead and lifeless. I love the album but the drums on that specific song make me ill. So what drums tracks do you feel are most cringe worthy?

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Regarding (drum) sound there are not many things that i really can not stand, except everything from Queen and basically all nowadays metal..

V-Four

Is Metallica's St. Anger is too obvious? And then there's ...And Justice for All, where it sounds like they substituted a cardboard box for a bass drum.
Yea, I think in this day in age, It IS a lil too obvious. Who else thought this before even clicking the link?

These threads should start by saying: "Besides the obvious Metallica Drum sounds, what is the worst.." etc.. ;)

Now I gotta go re-listen to "No Bone movies", as we used to play that tune back in the day..lol. I don't remember much of the drum sound (well, vs anything else from the time.) ;)

T.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Used to thing it was old analogue recordings where everyone was smacked off their tits (80s/early 90s Megadeth spring to mind, whoever mentioned the early Ozzy stuff most definitely!) but at least it's a real drummer playing it.

Nowadays it's anything that's programmed or triggered because it totally lifeless. So a lot of things mid 00s onwards!

The self titled Dream Theater album from 2013 is the biscuit winner for me. Sounds like a 90s cheap yamaha keyboard drum sound, only album where the snare sound has put me off an album.

spelman

Used to thing it was old analogue recordings where everyone was smacked off their tits (80s/early 90s Megadeth spring to mind, whoever mentioned the early Ozzy stuff most definitely!) but at least it's a real drummer playing it.

Nowadays it's anything that's programmed or triggered because it totally lifeless. So a lot of things mid 00s onwards!

The self titled Dream Theater album from 2013 is the biscuit winner for me. Sounds like a 90s cheap yamaha keyboard drum sound, only album where the snare sound has put me off an album.
You don't mind the triggered snare on "Images and Words"?

mikyok

Platinum Member
You don't mind the triggered snare on "Images and Words"?
Not really, the production on Images and Words is a different sport and you can see what Kevin Shirley was going for in sound which was appropriate for that time.

It would sound odd with Portnoy's snare sound of that time.

dwsabianguy

Not really, the production on Images and Words is a different sport and you can see what Kevin Shirley was going for in sound which was appropriate for that time.

It would sound odd with Portnoy's snare sound of that time.
Kevin Shirley didn’t come into the fold until Falling Into Infinity; I&W was mixed by David Prater and Doug Oberkircher. The “Greatest Hit” record has a remix of Pull Me Under and Take The Time without the snare sample that I think sounds a lot better, drum tone-wise. That said, there's definitely some weird compression going on in those remixes that wasn't in the original album version... oh well.

Last edited:

trickg

Silver Member
I've always felt that the drum track from the 1984 Night Ranger hit "Sister Christian" was recorded poorly. I think that over-processed, highly gated drum sound was popular at the time, but the drums are really dead, and the cymbals are gated to the point where there's no decay at all - the cymbals hit, and then they are just sucked out of the mix.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I may be a little different than everyone else, but there really aren't a lot of drum tracks that come to mind with "bad" drum sounds. I think people were doing the best they could do at the time in which they were recording and producing music. For example, while I'm not a huge fan of the Eagle's dry drum sound on their early music, it makes it what it is. If I had the perfect drum mix in my head applied to their music, it would probably sound ridiculous. I like a big fat snare, thick kick sound, and low resonant toms which sound like thunder. But if you put my ideal drum mix into something like "Brickhouse" by the Commodores, it would sound absurd. I've learned to appreciate what sounds people have put together. Do I want my snare to sound like 311's "All Mixed Up"? Nope. Do I think it works for that song? Yup.

But in order to play along, I feel that one song that needs to be 100% remixed is "Hollyann" by Boston. This song is so freakin' powerful, but the entire mix is just bad. I mean the levels are pretty good, but it's the overall EQ. I have a vintage stereo and I listen to vinyl. There is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the quality of mix between their first album and Third Stage. Not all the songs on that album sound as bad as "Hollyann." I love that song so much, but I hate the mix. It has no bottom end at all compared to songs off of the first album like "More than a Feeling" and all the others.

I've always felt that the drum track from the 1984 Night Ranger hit "Sister Christian" was recorded poorly. I think that over-processed, highly gated drum sound was popular at the time, but the drums are really dead, and the cymbals are gated to the point where there's no decay at all - the cymbals hit, and then they are just sucked out of the mix.
I dunno, I like the drum sound on that, taking it for what it is: it's like the dead drum sound of the early 70s singer-songwriter stuff combined with power tom sizes. But the crash cymbals do sound pretty terrible, something I'd never noticed but will probably never be able to not notice now. :)

Hewitt2

I dunno, I like the drum sound on that, taking it for what it is: it's like the dead drum sound of the early 70s singer-songwriter stuff combined with power tom sizes. But the crash cymbals do sound pretty terrible, something I'd never noticed but will probably never be able to not notice now. :)
Yeah I kind of dig it too. In particular, the toms sound massive on that track and really bring the intensity as a lead-in to the chorus. The movie boogie nights does a great tribute to that build-up.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Speaking of those early Ozzy albums, I agree the drum sound is terrible. What I really have never understood is, what were they thinking? It's a very tight and dry 70's sound, yet if you look at other albums that came out around the time time period, it doesn't make any sense. Plenty of late 70's/early 80's albums had good to great sounding drum tones.

And it didn't get better for a while. Apparently Tommy Alredige left Ozzy the 1st time over his unhappiness with the drum sound on Bark at the Moon, and Randy' drums on "The Ultimate Sin" are really horrible. It wasn't until "No Rest for the Wicked" the drums don't sound horrid, but even then, the snare is over-processed, and the bass drum is nearly invisible. near impossible to hear.

But to me the worst drum sounds are the early/mid 70's studio sound when it was popular to tape a wallet to a snare drum, take off all the bottom heads, and make the drums sound as dead as possible..

Juniper

Gold Member
Well this is going to be controversial but I'm really not a fan of how John Bonhams drums are mixed in Zeppelin.

Obviously it suits the music which is the most important thing but there's just not enough close miking for my tastes. A little too much of the room for me.

There is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the quality of mix between their first album and Third Stage.
Boston's debut album was recorded and mixed in Tom Scholz's basement IIRC. Third Stage is very over-produced (as are most mid/late 80's albums), no surprise since it took almost a decade to come out

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Metallica's Ride the Lightning. First I will say, I love the album. It's probably my favorite Metallica album. Now that's out of the way, the kicks on that album are horrible. They sound like floppy leather straps, that is when you can hear them. There is lots of double kick on that album that you can't hear. The long runs in Fight Fire with Fire and Fade to Black are all but lost. The ...Justice kick sound would have been so much better. Same with the toms, they are buried. The snare is okay, a bit flat but whatever. At least you can hear it. The crashes are brash and in your face, the hats and ride are about the only thing I do like. The hats especially, they almost sound slippery. Regardless, love the album, hate the drum sounds.

FWIW, I love the ...And Justice for All drum sound. Yes I know it's processed AF and pieced together like a puzzle, but I for one love the end result.