Worst mistake you've ever made during a gig ;)

At a couple gigs I've played over the years, the biggest mistake of all was turning up.....

Second day on a tour of a West End Show. I had my music in the wrong order and - not being that familiar with the show - forgot a number. The MD counted us in and I plowed into the chart I had in front of me. Blam! Pow! Blappity-Blap on the snare. The number we were playing had no such intro.

The look on the MD's face was priceless. Figured I was going home at the end of the night but, they kept me on. Still get reminded of that by the boys that were on the gig when I see them.

HS jazz band I had been listening to a bunch of odd-time stuff. I was supposed to count off the tune (in 4/4) and play a couple bars of time before the band came in. Well, I kicked us off alright, but in 5/4. The band director gave me quite the glare and I quickly dropped a beat over into 4/4.

Haha I can imagine the sheer panic and dread of the other musicians!

Starting the song Two Princes by Spin Doctors, starts with a snare fill...........I did it years ago but I ballsed it up so bad none of the band came in and the whole audience looked at me laughed their boots off................needless to say I started it again and literally played the simplest fill I knew

I still can't play it right ha ha, or the kick drum pattern!!!

I completely hosed the intro to "We're an American Band". Not even recognizable. Got the cowbell part right, though.

Not cutting the song earlier when my bass drum beater flew out of the pedal during an original and I spent a solid 30 seconds just doing the snare backbeat while I tried to fix it. Then restarting that same song that the other dudes were obviously not rehearsed for...

...or maybe it was leaving the bassist's little brother around my tom/crash stand that he somehow knocked over onto himself and put my prized Saluda Tesla into the cobblestone path?

Luckily, my contributions to this thread are only from the gig I just played!

Leaving, and losing, my brand spanking new snare stand at the gig this past weekend...

Damn...damn....and thrice damn.

Used once...damn for the fourth time.

Musically - completing ballsing a song up when a stick smashed on me and I'd forgotten where I'd shoved my spare stick holder (Im in my 40s...and sometimes it shows). I found it a challenge too many to play a song with one hand.

Back