Worst idea in Drumming

Does anyone remember the "Ghost Pedal?" A REVOLUTION in technology! TWO coils that compressed , making it as slow and uncomfortable as possible. Brilliant! For a while they were very popular.

Other than that, I think two toms on the bass drum is the worst idea ever.

Didn't Slingerland make cardboard drum shells at one time? I think that would have been the worst if true.

A while back Sabian came out with a triple hi hat stand system that required 3 cymbals. So not only did you have to shell out $$$ for a new hi hat stand and cymbals, those cymbals cost 50% more than traditional HH cymbals (since there's 3 of them). Not to mention that the whole idea is/was completely pointless. Needless to say, it tanked.

Attachments

• 28945935_full.jpeg
    28945935_full.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,846
I just realized how this was, but I commented never the less.

OOOH, cool thread. Off the top of my head- suspended floor toms. What the hell are those about!? I don't need 'em to ring that long, they bounce all over the place, I can't rest my sticks on them, and I need to attach them to a 70 pound cymbal stand so it doesn't tip over! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.
Playing live, I agree with you but I loved mine for recording.

Power toms, I'd say. Those crazy deep ones.
Not the most comfortable things to set-up either.

imagine a car with 2 steering wheels that led to many deaths, and suspended licenses
leaving those people not driving due to crashing.
the exception is student driver cars, just as there are some who use double bass
with grace and creativity. i dont see it often tho
Mind you I do not have one and I agree that some younger drummers abuse them, I feel they are a great tool. You saying they are worthless is almost like me saying you can never use your left hand on your floor tom.

Why the rules? It only limits creativity.

I don;t get why the kids are stating someone is cheating because they are using those Dualist pedals. Is it amazing because people can play those crazy double parts like they are some sort of circus freak or is it the fact they thought to use them in some amazing way? Just a thought.

+1 on those awful sounding kevlar heads Todd, yuck.

Also those tambourine jingle ring thingys you put on your hi hat rod that only last a few songs. Cheap effin crap.
This thing is great. I use it all the time. http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/1106896/tambourines

Power/square tom sizes are the tom sizes of champions.

Having said that, the worst idea in drumming has to go unequivocally to "short stack" tom sizes. Sound like ass, and look just as bad.

I really like the big deep toms! Don't understand the hate?

The ones that really bug me are the ones that are like 12 x 8 - they look like weird snare drums. I'm a fan of the bigger beefier tom. My rack tom is 14x12 - Sort of Bonham esque

oh and I remember seeing some old Nirvana videos where their original drummer had bent toms like this:
staccatoadvert.JPG

I think they were called staccato drums...

Humpty Dumpty called, he wants his shorts back!

#1 - drummers going shirtless and/or wearing shorts for a live show. Jeez, Neil Peart (and others), you get paid millions to play live dress up for gosh sakes. And no matter what one's abs look like nobody really cares to see them so put on a shirt!

#2 - Slingerland's blue denim wrapped drum kit of the 70s. I'd imagine they would shrink if you played an outdoor gig and it rained?

Humpty Dumpty called, he wants his shorts back!

I'm so glad someone remembers these, and posted the photo! Good times..good times..

Remember those goofy looking Peavy drums from about 15 years ago?

Were they any good?

Attachments

• peavy.jpg
    peavy.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,505
I'm so glad someone remembers these, and posted the photo! Good times..good times..

Remember those goofy looking Peavey drums from about 15 years ago?

Were they any good?

Incredible sounding, ultra thin 2.3mm maple shell, extremely warm, full and resonant and the 1 /34" thick maple snares sound like gunshots, I sold my Rockstars and went to buy another set of MCA's but when I got to the store the radials were the best sounding drums there and were priced less than the DW &Yamaha but more than the Pearl & Tama. I eventually sold my other set of MCA's and my set of Pearl masters due to the fact I basically stopped playing them, even now after almost 14 years the radials are still my main kit even for gigging as I havent found anything I like better. BTW Boogie Woodie drums are now building the same design again.

My 1999 radial pro 1000's:
285697_10150876332005001_8284020_n.jpg

285626_10150876319710001_2227310_n.jpg

The new Boogie Woodies at the Chicago drum show:
577110_443812585646182_848478876_n.jpg

Don't be saying goofy looking with Tard around lol. Tard you make these drums sound more appealing with every post. 2.3 mm shells? That's insanely thin. I didn't know those shells were that thin, and I also missed the fact that they have re rings. Which very much intrigues me, I'm into thin shells on toms. That has to be the thinnest wood shell ever produced, would you agree?

How about the bass drum? Shell thickness?

Don't be saying goofy looking with Tard around lol. Tard you make these drums sound more appealing with every post. 2.3 mm shells? That's insanely thin. I didn't know those shells were that thin, and I also missed the fact that they have re rings. Which very much intrigues me, I'm into thin shells on toms. That has to be the thinnest wood shell ever produced, would you agree?

How about the bass drum? Shell thickness?

They dont have rerings, the machined block bridge is notched for the shell on one end and has the bearing edge cut on the other. Yeh me too, thin shells seem to have a warmer, deeper sound to them.

Yeh I would have to agree on them being the thinnest, when Boogie Woodie went to several shell makers to get quotes they told them that 2.3 mm shells would probably not stay round and might not even handle the stress from the lugs when the heads were tightened, they then had to explain that the bridges would keep them round and support the heads...lol

I cant remember exactly, I am thinking 3.3mm, I know for sure its a bit thicker tho, the toms are 3 ply and the bass is 5 ply, the only reason I know the tom thickness for sure is I have a bare 12" shell here and the 3plys are .08, .07 and .08.

Heres a couple shots of BW bridges being machined.
378163_10150467839750073_204278702_n.jpg

381761_10150470771270073_1516658872_n.jpg

390049_10150470773815073_113882617_n.jpg

409582_10150479352705073_824843841_n.jpg

Tard, looking at the "ariel" pic of your 1999's, I am seeing something that looks exactly like re rings on the inside of your rack toms. They look like they are thicker than the shell, the shadows tell it all. What am I looking at? Edit. OK that's the bridge. Like you said the bridge is notched for the shells. OK got it.

Tard, looking at the "ariel" pic of your 1999's, I am seeing something that looks exactly like re rings on the inside of your rack toms. They look like they are thicker than the shell, the shadows tell it all. What am I looking at? Edit. OK that's the bridge. Like you said the bridge is notched for the shells. OK got it.

Yep, thats it. BTW I forgot to mention on the first RBS1 model the bridge was machined from thick laminated maple, then on the RP1000 they changed to the machined block design and on the lower priced lacquered shelled RP750 and wrapped shell RP500 series the bridge was made from the same molded composite material that some companies are now using to make guitar bodies. Also the 750 series snares had a thin maple shell and the 500's had a metal shell snare instead of the 1 3/4" thick maple rbs1 and 1000 series. They were all USA made then the 750 and 500 got a bridge design change and had the bridge made in Taiwan and assembled in the USA and they eventually got changed to 751 and 501 when they started being completely built in Tawain.

Rbs1 laminated layer bridge.
PeaveyRadialPro1000.jpg

Radial pro 1000 block bridge.
images

Radial pro 750 lacquered shell, pic is actually a 751, note bridge design change compaired to the metal shelled 500 series below it.
$%28KGrHqV,!iUE4vfUGdGPBOVVLeNdcQ~~48_1.JPG

138690129.jpg

Radial pro 500 with wrapped shells.
PeaveyRadialpro500.jpg

This concludes our Radial Pro history lesson for the day, next lesson will include disputes between Peavey and inventor causing ceased production as well as famous Radial Pro drummers and 1 of a kind prototypes.
Homework: Name drummer and brand of drums in this well known video...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4V46r_fUc

Last edited:
OMG! The radial Pro's! I rushed down to GC a few weeks back on a deal on some maple radial pro's. I took one look and and ran away. But grabbed a Gretsch maple set on the way out!

lmao here, I'm crying I'm laughing so hard at some of the stuff I'm reading here.that thing about the lightweight Dixon stands just kills me....anyway as far as the drumming competitions,I have an idea. have two drummers sit or stand side by side like they do at the drag races.both drummers get 5 seconds to see who can play the most notes on a snare drum. it would be drag racing for drummers.thats about the only good thing I can think of for crap like that...

That has to be the thinnest wood shell ever produced, would you agree?
Yes, the Peavey RP's use the thinnest production ply shells (2.3mm) ever made. We (Guru) produced the thinnest stave shell ever made (3mm) & used in a full size kit (prototype).

Get past the visual, & especially at present used prices, the top range Peavey RP represents by far the best bang for your buck in terms of sound quality. For that money, nothing comes even close, especially if you want a recording set.

those peavey drums,the high end stuff could be tuned up to sound pretty good.i heard a kit in a music store,it even had Evans heads on it and it still sounded pretty darn good.too bad it didn't have remo heads on it....

Back