Worst idea in Drumming

Mikecore

Silver Member
Ahhh, the 6, 8, 10 rototom set! Those were really something! I would have bought a set of them back in my younger days, but I quickly realized that they just didn't blend well with real toms.

To wit: my impression of rotos "Binnnng, beeooom, beerooom". They were good for "Dark Side of the Moon" covers and for keeping the 6" head in existence.

That's not the worst, though. THAT prize goes to World's Fastest Drummer. What a pointless exercise in futility. It should be regarded as an athletic competition that happens to use drums. I think the world is starting to run out of ideas.

MisterMixelpix

Silver Member
My two cents: the difference between the wobble of a cymbal and a wobbling tom is like the difference between a vibrating guitar string and an entire vibrating guitar. If you clamp a cymbal in place, it doesn't make any noise. The drum head's vibrations are what makes noise, if the entire drum is moving it'd be like if your cymbal MOUNT moved around when you hit it.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Both my gig and rehearsal kits have 14" mounted "floor" toms, one on a rack attached to the bottom end of the cymbal holder that my ride is on, the other mounted onto the ride cymbal tripod stand. Neither of them wobble any more than my rack toms, which is minimal. I don't understand why there's all the fuss about wobbling mounted floor toms but none about the rack toms. Is it only because there's no choice but for them to be suspended? And if you all have gotten used to that, then why is a slightly wobbling mounted floor tom such a big deal?

Frost

Silver Member
My opinion is that if it isn't broken, why fix it? The floor toms we have now work fine, the sound isn't being improved by mounting them.

They also tend to be larger and heavier then rack toms so I understand where the extra wobble is coming from.

BassDriver

Silver Member
Even though the Craigslist-worthy kits have slightly shallower toms, the cheapo mounting systems (that go through the shell of the drums) limit option of them being angled well...and well the Ironwood kit looks great, I don't hate squared tom kits, I just hate if they are uncomfortable.

Yes, definitely when you think of it WFD is a bunch of stupid male competition..up there with the worst of drumming "things"...although it interesting to know the speed drummers' approach to technique and how they musically apply it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yep, the WFD concept is non musical but the abilities required to do it give the participants the technique a lot of freedom to play what they want to play when applied to musical settings. We have a number of WFDs on this forum and they're fine drummers.

This coming from someone who seriously dislikes competitiveness applied to the arts. Credit where credit's due.

Frost

Silver Member
Do many of you guys use cymbal stands and bass drum mounts for your toms or do you use a rack?

MisterMixelpix

Silver Member
Both my gig and rehearsal kits have 14" mounted "floor" toms, one on a rack attached to the bottom end of the cymbal holder that my ride is on, the other mounted onto the ride cymbal tripod stand. Neither of them wobble any more than my rack toms, which is minimal. I don't understand why there's all the fuss about wobbling mounted floor toms but none about the rack toms. Is it only because there's no choice but for them to be suspended? And if you all have gotten used to that, then why is a slightly wobbling mounted floor tom such a big deal?
Looks bad, it's annoying? It's a big reason I put my mounted toms on a rack: they wobbled when I hit the kick before and it drove me bonkers.

Frost

Silver Member
Looks bad, it's annoying? It's a big reason I put my mounted toms on a rack: they wobbled when I hit the kick before and it drove me bonkers.
Some kits will and others won't, I guess it just comes down to what kit you're playing, I've played a Tama kit with the toms mounted from the bass drum and their was only a healthy amount of give, you couldn't shift the toms with the sticks. I have also known the reverse

jazzin'

Silver Member
OOOH, cool thread. Off the top of my head- suspended floor toms. What the hell are those about!? I don't need 'em to ring that long, they bounce all over the place, I can't rest my sticks on them, and I need to attach them to a 70 pound cymbal stand so it doesn't tip over! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.
Yep, I agree with that! I cannot stand those stupid things. I'm sure there are a lot of people that like all the stuff with no bits on it and want everything on it's own little stand but I can't believe those crazies! Man, when I'm lugging my crap around every single night and day to a different place to gig or rehearse I want it all as simple and light as possible. I want a tom to be just a tom with nothing extra on it. A stand to be just a simple, easy, light stand only solid enough to hold up my little cymbal, instead of some 200kg double braced, titanium plated, nuclear pulsed reinforced thing with nine arms on it.

I have this drummer friend who is right into the whole super drum thing. You know, every drum has it's own stand, they are all suspended from some thing to stop anything touching them and yet, my little kit which costs half of his insane DW, I can make sound ten times better with five minutes of tuning than his ever would. Even tuning his up, the sound difference is so minimal, and certainly not enough for the price difference and if they were the same price and mine still wasn't super mounted, it would sound as good. Pure gimmickry.

So, my beef is hardware. All the new heavy-duty rubbish that is included on drums now. You don't need double braced boom stands with weights on the end! Man, I have two tiny little Dixon stands that I got for about $40 (aus) each and they have lasted forever now without ever even moving slightly, tipping over or whatever. If I had to carry around a massive set of drums with huge heavy duty hardware bits and special tom mounts and suspending floor tom tings and all the rest, I would just give up. If I had to carry a bigger set than I do I would want it all lighter than even I have mine. But, I'm weird like that maybe.

I just can't wait to get rid of my Gibraltor bass pedal. It has this massive plate on the bottom, and all these little knobs and bits all over it, which is utterly pointless and weighs about nineteen tonnes. It's only a bass drum pedal! It doesn't need to knock down a building.

I wanna be out of the car, into the place with all my gear in no more two trips and set up within five minutes. Any longer is too long and any more trips is too many. I have a funny feeling I'm not nearly as obsessive about my stuff as most probably are. This is not a bad thing and not meant in a bad way at all. I just find myself bemused when people talk about marks where the bass drum pedal goes....I had never even thought about it until it was mentioned here. But then, I don't really care what it looks like or anything. As long as it's light and easy to take around and sounds great, it's all good.

Last edited:

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
My two cents: the difference between the wobble of a cymbal and a wobbling tom is like the difference between a vibrating guitar string and an entire vibrating guitar. If you clamp a cymbal in place, it doesn't make any noise. The drum head's vibrations are what makes noise, if the entire drum is moving it'd be like if your cymbal MOUNT moved around when you hit it.
I don't understand the difference. Cymbals wobble much more than drums, yet if a cymbal wobbles that's okay, but if a drum wobbles, it's not. Go figure.

I don't play the guitar so I don't understand the analogy. Maybe if I played the guitar I wouldn't want a wobbly drum???

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
That's not the worst, though. THAT prize goes to World's Fastest Drummer. What a pointless exercise in futility. It should be regarded as an athletic competition that happens to use drums. I think the world is starting to run out of ideas.
And we have a winner folks......

And thanks to WFD, early every drum video on youtube is full of lame comments "oh, so-and-so can play that faster", without any regard to if said drummer was actually trying to play fast or not.

Gethsemane

I just can't wait to get rid of my Gibraltor bass pedal. It has this massive plate on the bottom, and all these little knobs and bits all over it, which is utterly pointless and weighs about nineteen tonnes. It's only a bass drum pedal! It doesn't need to knock down a building.
What type? Any pictures? I don't want to buy it but I want to see how it is.

Frost

Silver Member

And thanks to WFD, early every drum video on youtube is full of lame comments "oh, so-and-so can play that faster", without any regard to if said drummer was actually trying to play fast or not.
I actually know Australia's fastest feet, he admits it's more of an athletic thing, it's like having shred guitar competitions, it's not pointless, it's just not musical but that isn't what it's about, it's about taking a skill (playing a drum) to the extremes to find the best of the best. It's macho if anything but no worse then weight lifting at the olympics.

MisterMixelpix

Silver Member

The WFD didn't cause that, it's a manifestation of the problem. You think without the contest people wouldn't still be linking to Inferno/Hoglan/Kollias/Marco videos to compete over speed?

timmdrum

Silver Member
All 3 of my toms are mounted on a rack; the "floor" doesn't wobble any more than the rack toms. Maybe I just have good hardware...? Check out my setup. It looks like the cymbal holder that my 14" tom is attached to is resting on my Iron Cobra case, but it's not. I keep the pedal case there to put drinks on it. The cymbal holder isn't even hovering over it- it's actually closer to the camera than the pedal case. The camera angle makes it look odd.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Seriously, all of you people complaining about the mounted floor tom, go play one that is mounted well! Again, mine sits on a light-weight stand, and I have no issue with it at all. I rest all sorts of things on it while playing musicals, and it never bounces...

...also to say that something like that, or WFD is one of the WORST ideas in drumming, compared to Drumming Shoes or light-up sticks that break the first time you use them is a bit of a joke...