Worst Badge in the Business

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Random question of the day:

"Who has the worst badge (or logo) in the drum business?"

My vote: Mapex. God-awful ugly design.

What are your thoughts?

The Sonor "mallets" on the SQ2 line are pretty awful. They're just kind of stupid to me. "You know what would look great on a drum? A pair of mallets! Ha ha!"

I would add my vote for the Mapex one, and tell you about the Sakae Almighty badge : a failure on the badge for such a nice set of drums... you gotta be kidding.

fcbc44a243fb67540cefdec507534c68.jpg

The Mapex badges are great. Pure class on those drums.

23780813512_ec5b5fedd1.jpg

But why does Gretsch make badges that have their name both right side up and upside down? It must be a Jeep thing, I guess.

42150394661_78a391cfb0.jpg

The Big R Rogers badges are HUGE and ugly.

28277977728_d47e159b5f.jpg

Ludwig's pointy blue/olive badges are pretty bad. Not only are the colors unattractive, but the pointy ends would get caught on your clothes or bags tearing holes in them and bending the badge. Bad design.

I would add my vote for the Mapex one, and tell you about the Sakae Almighty badge : a failure on the badge for such a nice set of drums... you gotta be kidding.

fcbc44a243fb67540cefdec507534c68.jpg

Holy cow look at that finish!! Badges suck, cant we just have the badges and hardware all hidden on the inside so we can just see beautiful drums unobstructed?

Can't you just remove the badge if it offends you so?

I didn't know Peavey made drums. What is going on with those black rubber rim gizmos???

Can't you just remove the badge if it offends you so?

I didn't know Peavey made drums. What is going on with those black rubber rim gizmos???

Yes but then we couldn't have a thread complaining about them, where's the fun in that? Peavey drums had those weird collars or what have you. Strange shape, but there were at least 11 people who liked them and purchased them, at least 11, probably more.

But why does Gretsch make badges that have their name both right side up and upside down? It must be a Jeep thing, I guess.

Gives the installer a 50% better chance of putting them on right.

Upside down???

I'm pretty sure it's for the kits sold in Australia.

You can play all Gretsch drums on both sides, didn't you know? ;-)

I don't recall disliking some drum brands logo although I don't like the sticker badges on some cheaper drums.
It has to be a badge, not a sticker.

The Big R Rogers badges are HUGE and ugly.

28277977728_d47e159b5f.jpg

I love my Rogers drums but I'm going to have to agree with you there. The script badge was so simple and elegant, the Swivo hardware so clean yet functional. Then they go to these giant square badges with hardware that looks like plumbing fixtures. I'm sure they are just as good as the Swivo stuff but I have never bought a Big R era Rogers because I just think they're too ugly.

That's actually why they did it. The badge was mounted centered vertically. You can see video of Tony Williams playing with his toms mounted from the bottom here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb54a3zihxY

tonywilliamsshure.jpg

Center mounted badges yet offset mounting hardware. Must make it really easy to flip the drums in the middle of a set. I guess when you flip the toms you just have to play them 4+ inches higher than when the drums were mounted the other way. Not to mention your tom depths will all vary in height making your drums vary in batter head height from each other. Brilliant.

Sakae badges look like Ludwig Accent badges.

Horrible badges on unbelievable drums.

Back