Worst Badge in the Business

Re: the Peavy Radial Pro drums

Total tangent to the thread.....this could also go in the recent thread about tech advancements that didn't stick. It does seem like it was a good idea.

http://www.peaveydrums.moonfruit.com/history/4519786597

What makes the premier lines of Peavey drums unique is the patented Radial Bridge System. The idea behind the Radial Bridge System is to create head tension without weighing down the shell with lugs and bolts that interfere with its resonance. The head tension is taken by heavy wooden hoops that support the heads with no mounting hardware attached to the shells. This allows the shells to perpetuate a louder and longer sustaining sound.

Peavey Radial Pro 1000 and RBS-1 tom-toms are made with thin 1/10 of an inch thick, three-ply shells, and the bass drums with five ply shells. Conversely, Peavey's snare drums are made with heavy 1 3/4 inch thick shells that bring out the high overtones in the snare sound.

I wonder how much the badge affects the tone.

Badges are a BIG DEAL around these here parts. They are as, if not more, important than tone.

Proof, drums can be great, but who wants to weather all the badge hate?

We had an episode about 9 years ago with sticks4drums (the most banned member EVER lol). Oh man he got hot because no one liked the ill fated Mapex badge. (He was an unpaid Mapex promoter)

It was classic Drummerworld.

So yea badges. Serious business.

This thread made me go over and look at mine.

Yup... badges.

depends on which Mapex badge, i think my Black Panther snare has a cool badge.

Attachments

• 20160819_114825.jpeg
    20160819_114825.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 579
Badges....BADGES?!

I didn't think we needed no stinkin' badges?

(come on...someone had to say it!)

The Sonor "mallets" on the SQ2 line are pretty awful. They're just kind of stupid to me. "You know what would look great on a drum? A pair of mallets! Ha ha!"

They were designed by Otl Aicher. He was a famous German designer who designed the Lufthansa logo, and the person who made the pictograms for the 1972 Olympic games.

The logo hasn't changed in decades, which seems fitting for one of the oldest drum makers.

Center mounted badges yet offset mounting hardware. Must make it really easy to flip the drums in the middle of a set.
That wasn't the idea. Who would rotate their toms in the middle of a set?

Their intent was to allow positioning either way, not for easy rotating. The drums will move and feel a bit different (and probably sound different) depending how they're mounted. Sakae toms are mounted from below too. If you use RIMS on your toms, you can mount them from below to permit closer positioning.

My vote for the worst badge in the business goes to Yamaha for using a motorcycle logo for a drum company.

*Edit* I just found out it's a tuning fork. It's now good logo!

Last edited:
Google Longo Drums — badges hideous enough to compete with Mapex. The irony is that Longo makes finally crafted instruments that sound great.

The badges on my Live Custom Yamaha set really bug me. The badges don't look too bad but there are two badges on each rack tom. So you can see a badge from both sides of the drum set.

Oh come on Yamaha, stop with the advertising already !

Back