World's first seamless spun aluminum drum sets

I love these drums! I love the other videos and the sounds on those videos.
I expect to be buying an aluminum Oriollo, but this video is different. I don't like it so much.
It's got an Albini-esque drum sound, but it sounds scooped. I have to agree with Wavey, the high tuning still sounds low. It sounds notched.
The Kickstarter cliche style video is an eye roller for me, but I'm not so bothered by that.
Oh, and I think the snares sound awesome on the other videos. Really nice drums. I have a soft spot for seamless drums.

Nice sounding drums.

Question for you. Aren't Trick drums seamless aluminum shells? I'm sure they are aluminum but not sure about seamless.

Do you know?

Amazing sound to my ears on that low tuning. They don't sing much from what I can tell, but man do those things thump.

Wow. Sound-wise and price-wise.

Yeah, the prices on these drums are really quite great too – which I very much appreciate.

Personally, I'm not a general fan of the processing he uses or his tuning too much (and I've seen quite a few of his videos with Oriollos) but the kit does still come across well. An XY overheads-only video would be great.

I actually really like the black hoops on these for whatever reason. They're on my list.

15" tooling has just finished. Here's a 15x13 FT

IMG_20170128_111353.jpg

An XY overheads-only video would be great.

I'm hoping XY makes a comeback on a general basis. I often find myself going cross-eyed from the exaggerated stereo soundstage on modern drum recordings when listening through headphones.

Mono or stereo? XY stereo is the best of both worlds IMO!

I'm hoping XY makes a comeback on a general basis. I often find myself going cross-eyed from the exaggerated stereo soundstage on modern drum recordings when listening through headphones.

Mono or stereo? XY stereo is the best of both worlds IMO!

It's all about Mid/Side for the best of both Worlds. You can alter the width of the soundstage in post-production beautifully or choose to do a completely mono mix. It's just a bit more complicated...

With that said, I tend to prefer XY if I don't have the mics for M/S. Spaced is fine but I'm usually in a hurry...

Years ago when I was a young audiophile, I remember Stereo Review magazine put a manikin with a mic in each ear, and sat it in the middle of the audience in an orchesra hall and recorded the show. TRUE stereo. That's what I want to hear. I think the drums look great. It's nice to see something different and I'm sure they sound great. But I'm also sure they don't sound like the processed recording posted here. Every drum company records their drums this way and processes them(check youtube) and they all sound the same. Drummers should do the recording and not sound engineers, that are trying to get their drums to sound like some shelved sound you take down from the shelf and plug in to sell drums. The videos from the garage sound the same as the video posted here. Overly processed. Put two mics in a room apart from one another and rcerd the drums. Sold. Not to sound harsh. As I said I love the look and innovation, not let me hear how they sound. Thanks, Drum on.

Years ago when I was a young audiophile, I remember Stereo Review magazine put a manikin with a mic in each ear, and sat it in the middle of the audience in an orchesra hall and recorded the show. TRUE stereo. That's what I want to hear. I think the drums look great. It's nice to see something different and I'm sure they sound great. But I'm also sure they don't sound like the processed recording posted here. Every drum company records their drums this way and processes them(check youtube) and they all sound the same. Drummers should do the recording and not sound engineers, that are trying to get their drums to sound like some shelved sound you take down from the shelf and plug in to sell drums. The videos from the garage sound the same as the video posted here. Overly processed. Put two mics in a room apart from one another and rcerd the drums. Sold. Not to sound harsh. As I said I love the look and innovation, not let me hear how they sound. Thanks, Drum on.

Agreed that the drums look lovely.

Binaural recording is what you're referring to, Grunts. People do it quite often, in the same fashion as you describe. It's also used a lot in field recordings - a person that has (what look like) headphones in their ears tends to draw a lot less attention!

It's all about Mid/Side for the best of both Worlds. You can alter the width of the soundstage in post-production beautifully or choose to do a completely mono mix. It's just a bit more complicated...

With that said, I tend to prefer XY if I don't have the mics for M/S. Spaced is fine but I'm usually in a hurry...

I dunno, whenever I've used mid/side, I've felt the result to be more "disconnected" and less natural sounding than XY. But my experience with that technique is limited, and the mic'ing and processing may have been poorly executed (by me). XY renders to mono like a champ and it's easy to widen the stereo stage in the mix by time-domain manipulation, so I suppose I'm just not getting the real-world advantages of mid/side (though I 'get' it in theory).

M/S is a finicky beast but it's brilliant when it works.

I've 'faked' stereo with XY before - had an overload on a mic recording brass and it was a one-shot live recording. Just replaced the audio from the L channel and stuck it in the right with a bit of time delay. No phase issues.

You're right in that XY is usually a great option and it renders OK for mono - although if I'm doing that I will usually just record with a third mic for mono capture. No big deal. M/S would still be my preference if I have the mics available.

It's probably just a preference thing most of the time.

Back on topic I love the tone. The processing doesn't faze me, I can hear through it. Those drums sound badass. I will be getting a set of Oriollos to replace my PDP gig set eventually, but I may hold out for brass or copper.

Agreed that the drums look lovely.

Binaural recording is what you're referring to, Grunts. People do it quite often, in the same fashion as you describe. It's also used a lot in field recordings - a person that has (what look like) headphones in their ears tends to draw a lot less attention!

Thanks Duncan. The article was probably 30 years ago and the result was not liked by many. Seems the majority wanted more racks or gimmicks to recording which is what brings us to today.

Back