wooden bass drum hoop

rstix

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum section for my question.

Anyway, the hoop on the batter side of my 18" yamaha stage custom bop set is warped already! How badly dose this disrupt the drum's true sound? And if I want to replace it - which I kinda do because my the rubber protector where the pedal clamps onto the hoop came off and got lost on a gig - where do I go about ordering one? Also should I order birch wood or does it not matter?

I found this website - but it's maple.
http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/maple_hoops.html

thanks,

RS

It depends on how it's warped. If it's out of round, but otherwise in a straight condition, that's not an issue, as most will pull into round on tensioning. An out of round hoop on a bass drum is not ideal, but it is almost the norm on many constructions. Try lying it on a flat surface. Does it lie flat, or can you see light passing underneath it somewhere? If it's warped so as to present uneven pressure on the head, then it will benefit from replacement.

As far as the rubber protector on your rim here's what I do. Go to the dollar store and pick up a package of velcro with the self adhesieve. Take a section of the soft stuff and cut to length and attach it to the rim where the pedal attaches. I put it on the top and the bottom of the rim. It stays put but is easy to peel off.

If you do need to replace your bass drum rim it won't make hardly any difference if it is maple. When you do get it and put it on the drum make sure you are putting even tension on every lug. Also when putting the tension on the lugs do it in a criss crossing pattern. This will help to keep the tension even. John

Do you play with the front of the bass drum higher than the back where you attach the pedal. If so this will cause the hoop to warp to some degree. try to get the bass drum level.

A wood bass drum hoop by virtue of its proportions has very low stiffness and intrinsic shape stability. Most of the laminates used to create them are unbalanced, resulting in residual stresses, resulting in warpage. Most of these sins wash out under tension though as stated above: I wouldn't be concerned.

Croc

As far as the rubber protector on your rim here's what I do. Go to the dollar store and pick up a package of velcro with the self adhesieve. Take a section of the soft stuff and cut to length and attach it to the rim where the pedal attaches. I put it on the top and the bottom of the rim. It stays put but is easy to peel off.

If you do need to replace your bass drum rim it won't make hardly any difference if it is maple. When you do get it and put it on the drum make sure you are putting even tension on every lug. Also when putting the tension on the lugs do it in a criss crossing pattern. This will help to keep the tension even. John

I was also recommended to go to a bike shop and buy a tube tire - slice it and put it around that spot - but I think the dollar store sounds better on my wallet! Thank you :D

Do you play with the front of the bass drum higher than the back where you attach the pedal. If so this will cause the hoop to warp to some degree. try to get the bass drum level.

Yes I do play with the bass drum reso side much higher than the back - I will try to even it out a bit more! Thanks!

I put a Gibralter riser on my 18". Simple, cheap, and functional.

I had read somewhere (probably here!) that the risers are beneficial for tone and projection, as well as beater placement on head.

Back