Wood Snare Hoops - Thin with claws or Yamaha vintage type?

single-ply

I have a Craviotto Walnut snare with the standard 2.3mm hoops. I'm thinking about putting on wood hoops and could get either the Craviotto hoops (or a much cheaper Gibralter version) or the Yamaha type hoops.

Anyone have experience with both and what are your thoughts? I like a nice sharp cross stick sound if that helps.

Thanks!

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I have an Ayotte with wood hoops with claws, I really like it. I don't think there is a huge difference between the styles acoustically, but for a fancy snare, I like the look of hoops and claws better. But buy nice claws! cheap ones hurt the look.
oh and you have to be careful with the hoops, some require lugs that project further from the shell to clear the hoops.

this is a good source.
https://www.stellardrumshop.com/collections/wood-snare-hoops

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I’ve got the Gibraltar hoop on my Black Beauty. The cross stick sound is awesome, and they don’t have the problem of accidentally hitting the claw.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Is anyone else concerned about destroying those thin hoops with claws?? I like a nice strong rimshot when playing a backbeat, and I think I'd chew through those in no time.

The thin ones with claws look great, but I'd have to go with the thicker Yamaha or Gibraltar style.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
Is anyone else concerned about destroying those thin hoops with claws?? I like a nice strong rimshot when playing a backbeat, and I think I'd chew through those in no time.

The thin ones with claws look great, but I'd have to go with the thicker Yamaha or Gibraltar style.
mine show no wear so far, but yes eventually it could wear. I guess it depends on how hard you are hitting them, to how fast that could happen, but wood hoops make a great sounding rimshot, and to me it's worth it.