Wood Drum Hoops, please help!

SGT_Drummer

Hey everyone! I was just cruising the net when I came across some drums with wood hoops. This isn't the first time I've seen them, but honestly I don't know anything about them and I can't find too much on them. What do they add to the drum? Are they worth using? Which drums should they go on?

Yeah, I'm completely clueless on these and that drives me nuts!! Please help lol.

Scott

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hey everyone! I was just cruising the net when I came across some drums with wood hoops. This isn't the first time I've seen them, but honestly I don't know anything about them and I can't find too much on them. What do they add to the drum? Are they worth using? Which drums should they go on?

Yeah, I'm completely clueless on these and that drives me nuts!! Please help lol.

Scott
My drum teacher plays wood-hooped Ayotte drums. Honestly, they don't "add" much of anything, just a slightly different tone. To me they're less ringy and a bit more "woody" sounding...but that may just be the drums themselves and have nothing to do w/ the hoops.

They're nice for rimshots on the snare but it feels different...the angle is deeper.

They look cool but I hesitated to get them on my Unix drums because I thought they'd be a pain in the ass to tune and change heads with. Give me die-cast!

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Wooden hoops give more "wood", darkness and roundess to the sound, and they remove some of the highest frequencies and metallic quality from the attack -- and rim sounds are quite spectacular... The difference in sound isn't earth-shattering, but none the less audible.

There are basically two types of wood hoops available: the classic type that are attached with hooks and a more "modern" version which works just like a normal metal hoop. Zambizzi was most likely referring to the classic hoops with his head change and rim shot angle remarks. I've had no problems with my wood hooped kit.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
There are basically two types of wood hoops available: the classic type that are attached with hooks and a more "modern" version which works just like a normal metal hoop. Zambizzi was most likely referring to the classic hoops with his head change and rim shot angle remarks. I've had no problems with my wood hooped kit.
Right...forgot to mention that. I like the style you have on your Kumu kit, simply for the utility of it. I bet they're a bit tougher, too. The "classic" style seem like they'd be a PITA to tune. My bass drum is my least favorite drum to tune.

I thought these would be cool, if I had decided to get the classic style:

http://www.egodrumsupply.com/roundedclaw.html

SGT_Drummer

Wooden hoops give more "wood", darkness and roundess to the sound, and they remove some of the highest frequencies and metallic quality from the attack -- and rim sounds are quite spectacular... The difference in sound isn't earth-shattering, but none the less audible.

Yeah i would definitely go with the modern version. so are they used or recommended on anything other than the snare?

matt986

I've got a couple of SJC kits with wooden hoops (classic style) and I love the lowness and depth they add to my toms. I would have to say they are meant more for low tunings and dont sound anywhere near as good cranked tight. My snares are steel, but im a big fan of wood hoops in general!

tbmills

Gold Member
steve jordan uses modern style (yamaha vintage wood hoops) on his full kit and he tunes pretty high... they sound and look great!

SGT_Drummer

My entire kit is fitted with wood hoops; check the link on my signature.
i keep checking your set up but i can't view the pics. probably cuz i'm on a crappy government network that blocks like EVERYTHING!!

does anyone know where to buy wood hoops for all the toms? i found several websites that sell them but none that go down to like 6 or 8 inches (if i remember correctly my smallest tom is 8)

tbmills

Gold Member
i keep checking your set up but i can't view the pics. probably cuz i'm on a crappy government network that blocks like EVERYTHING!!

does anyone know where to buy wood hoops for all the toms? i found several websites that sell them but none that go down to like 6 or 8 inches (if i remember correctly my smallest tom is 8)
call francois at unix drums. he can make them out of almost any wood (i believe any combination too. i could be very wrong...) but his are more of the modern hoop but they have a cool lower profile shape that close resembles a diecast hoop.

Green_Shoes

The wood hoops I use on my Jalapeno snare drum have a:

• Great rim click
  • Let the drum resonate (complement the sound)
  • Warmer, rounder and overall ‘woodier’ sound
  • Stable tuning and even sound
  • Durable
  • Thicker sound
  • Darker sound
  • Ping-y-er rim shorts
  • Phatter cross-sticks

All greats in my mind! Love them.

BGH

Gold Member
Agree with these points. They seem to extend the shell and allow it to vibrate more, giving it more resonance. I have a Yamaha birch Recording Custom 7x14 snare that I just put wood hoops on. It has turned a nice drum into a very appealing drum, in both looks and sound. I also just ordered a Maple Pacific snare with wood hoops for $240. The drum gets excellent reviews. Seems like a great deal with the wood hoops, which sell for $100-$200, alone. There is also a weekend coupon, type in PREZ at checkout. 5% off $100-$249, 10% off $250-$699 and 15% off $720+ :

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-Maple-Snare-with-Wood-Hoops?sku=443536

Attachments