Wood beater suggestions?

Give Low Boy beaters a look see. They seem a large variety of bass drum beaters. They are available at Seetwater.

Give Low Boy beaters a look see. They seem a large variety of bass drum beaters. They are available at Seetwater.
In addition to the beaters what I used to do when I was heavily influenced by Korn and Coal Chamber, was tape quarters, just one each or 50 cents if using double, on the reso strike point for the click effect.
I did the Danmars but they would eventually fail and fall out in time, eventually taping them back on for a quick rig.
At least the quarters were yours to begin with.

I bought a few wood beaters, custom and Low boys etc looking for more punch/attack. Then I got a Trick Dead Blow beater. It its a game changer. No more wood, felt , plastic whatever, get the Trick beater!

Those look really cool. I wish they had the option to angle them a little to hit the head squarely, but even so I'm liking this option.

I used to use Cannon wood beaters. They had a smaller ball than most so were pretty light. I cannot for the life of me find them now, maybe they were discontinued. Currently I use Pearl Duo beaters. I like the plastic. It's hard like wood, but nice and light.

Gibraltar makes wood beaters that can be had for pretty cheap.

I bought a few wood beaters, custom and Low boys etc looking for more punch/attack. Then I got a Trick Dead Blow beater. It its a game changer. No more wood, felt , plastic whatever, get the Trick beater!

I love my Dead Blow beater. It’s thunderous and doesn’t bounce back and forth nearly as much.

I love the iron cobra slim beaters. You can go with the Gibraltar wood but I suggest the smaller wood colored one not the larger red one. You can sand down one side of each if using a double.

Last edited:
Looking for more attack/click from my double bass playing. I'm using a speed cobra, currently with the standard beaters that came with it (silicon rubber or similar contact surface).

This one seemed like the obvious choice, but reviewers claimed that it goes out of adjustment while playing.

I’ve used the Tama beater of that same design in felt, wood and rubber. Rubber produced the most attack. Very durable too.

pen_CB90R_00_01.png

Danmar makes a variety of wood beater models . My personal favourite is the red square JR Robinson model . Not sure if they still make it now.
I especially love it for playing 24” and bigger bass drums . Lots of oomph with these beaters

Attachments

• 5CE0B599-4FF5-44FE-B6F0-4561B1FB70DA.jpeg
    5CE0B599-4FF5-44FE-B6F0-4561B1FB70DA.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1
Danmar makes a variety of wood beater models . My personal favourite is the red square JR Robinson model . Not sure if they still make it now.
I especially love it for playing 24” and bigger bass drums . Lots of oomph with these beaters

Rick, does the JR wood model self-align like the Danmar/Zoro felt model?

Low Boy makes a wooden beater that has a felt pad on it for a little less attack and more thump. I was playing a wooden Low Boy and put a felt pad like a furniture pad on it and the sound is great.

Remember these?
I had a pair & loved how they could be adjusted for the degree of shaft angle at point of impact. Flip them around for the softer feel.

Attachments

• Slug beaters.jpg
    Slug beaters.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 4
Remember these?
I had a pair & loved how they could be adjusted for the degree of shaft angle at point of impact. Flip them around for the softer feel.

Same principal as the iron cobra flat beaters, those are just not two sided. I've always had interest in those slug beaters but never had the opportunity to try them as my preferred iron cobra beaters last so long.

Same principal as the iron cobra flat beaters, those are just not two sided.

I use the Iron Cobra beaters on my DW double pedals & love them. I have a leather center Low Boy for my single as I love the punch it gives. But the flat Cobra's are the best for speed & adjustability.

I like the Tama. I’ve historically gotten on well with their beater design. I think I like wood Beaters to be flat instead of round. I remember Danmar used to make some wooden cube beaters, and I was always interested but never got around to them.

Currently I’m very happy with the Tama Accu Strikes.

Back