Wonky drum sizes that'll make resale difficult...

IBitePrettyHard

Behold!

20x20” Kick
16x23” Kick
13x16” Floor Tom
11x14” Floor Tom
8x12” Tom with mount.

irnHc5w.png

I can see like 16x15 or 14x13 FTs but these hyper drive sizes just don't do it for many people, including myself. I prefer square size FTs. You're right though, these weird custom sizes make reselling more of a challenge. One man's custom is another man's turn off.

Oh dear. There's a reason why "most kits" come in "similiar sizes" and that's because decades of experience have shown that they work. Ok the short stack dimensions and 20" deep bass drum alone don't kill this shell pack stone dead but the 23" bass drum does.
A question we'll never know the answer to, what sizes of drums has the owner of this kit subsequently bought ? My guess is that they're similiar to "most kits".

I brought this up some time ago and one of my
Pet peeves with DW. Weird sizes and strange finishes - and marketing strategies designed to make any working drummer believe he’s some kind of unique rockstar - and it works!

sad.

It’s the deep bass drums that irk me. Short toms are easy to move, and they sound fine miked up. But deep bass drums are hard to move, hard to play fast on, AND hard to muffle. It’s a hassle-fest

It’s the deep bass drums that irk me. Short toms are easy to move, and they sound fine miked up. But deep bass drums are hard to move, hard to play fast on, AND hard to muffle. It’s a hassle-fest
But nobody really likes short toms either. Both ideas are dumb. The 23” bass drum gets the award for the dumbest idea EVER.

the 25” bass drum needs its chance 😉

I can dig that set. The finish looks cool and the black nickel(?) hardware is a nice touch. First thing I'd do is take the 20" bass drum to Stan at Pro Drum and have him cut it down. Lop 4" off each side to have a nice little 12x20. Always liked that size, and it seems like it would fit in with the shallow tom motif.

The tom depths don't bother me at all for whatever reason, and I'd proudly use the 23" bass drum, if only to set off that deep flow of DW hate. I'd name my band Hype Machine and have a sweet logo head put on the 23 incher. Instead of the little DW logo at the bottom of the head, I'd have "Neil was right about this size" in small print.

Last edited by a moderator:
23" bass drum wouldn't be a problem to me, but short toms would be a no-go.

More then fine sizes. And by far not hyperdrive.

Hyperdrive is 6” deep rack toms max.

The floor toms are general sized too. DW and others have been using those for decades. Only the last decades they added legs, as these were usually hanging floors.

23” is a DW thing, and has proven to work for anyone don’t want a 24” in size but need a bit more than 22”.

20” deep kick is something for the young kids and is the only strange thing in this set up.

Leave that one, add a 10x8, and you have one killer rig.

Last edited:
I didn't realize how absurd a 20x20 kick was until I owned one and gigged it for about a year.

Here's my 20 x 14 Classic Maple vs my 20 x 20 Ludwig Centennial. The CM beats it in every way. I no longer own the Centennials.

index.php

Back