wishy washy musicians

lachlin

My wife (plays bass) and I have been trying to get a guitarist for jam sessions, maybe even starting a band. The problem is, when I get in touch with a guitar player via band mix, or craigslist, they are either "oh yeah! I'm dying to play with other people!", then you can't get them to commit to a practice session and when you do, the no show. Or they say " yeah I like your kind of music", then show up wanting to play a totally different style. I'm starting to get a "screw it" attitude about getting some one else involved. This has been going on about a year.
How do you guys rope in other musicians to play? Am I missing something?

Ethan01

I found my band through CL (so it's not all fail) but these days, go see local acts and meet them. Be-friend all of them and when you need a guitarist you have people to call and ask if they or someone they know can fill a slot.

Now be warned that, if you're playing at a "jam hobby" level* that you aren't going to get a lot of competent, punctual, and talented musicians offering to play with you. Be honest in your posting and you might get an inexperienced cat who also is starting out but has good drive.

*I don't mean to be condescending here, but it's the honest truth if you aren't an established local band, you just won't get the volume of talent trying out for you. It's not even about YOUR musical talent, but how known you are locally.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
The problem is, when I get in touch with a guitar player via band mix, or craigslist,
That IS your problem!

you can't get them to commit to a practice session
Most musicians don't like to "commit" to anything, unless they see the benefit of doing so. Professional musicians won't commit to a practice schedule unless there's a payoff in the future. Craigslist musicians won't commit to a practice schedule...um...er...um...EVER!

they say " yeah I like your kind of music", then show up wanting to play a totally different style.
Sounds like most guitar players I know. If you don't play classic rock (or sometimes, jazz), they're not interested.

I'm starting to get a "screw it" attitude about getting some one else involved. This has been going on about a year.
Well, at least YOU have a healthy level of commitment. Keep it up! You'll find a band at some point. Sounds like you're natural band leader material! Do you have any musician friends that you haven't "burned" in your past? That's the best place to start, as there's already *some* level of commitment to YOU.

How do you guys rope in other musicians to play? Am I missing something?
Yes! Go to shows, talk face-to-face with other musicians, and get them to jam with you (avoid using the word "commit" at all costs--in fact, that's a terrible word. Never use it again). Get a positive vibe going while jamming, saying things like, "Man, I think we've really got something going here...wanna start a band? I'm sure I could get us some gigs with a sound this good." Ask if they're interested, and see how _____day night works for them? No? Well, does ______day night work? Alright! See you next week! (NOT "alright, so _____day nights from now on.") Then, practice once a week (any more than that is unacceptable unless there's a pressing deadline coming up, like a gig or recording session...) AND...book some gigs!

Does this ring with you? It's the musicians' mentality, and you've got to learn to work with it. Of course, if you're dealing with the professional music-minded musicians, it's a whole new ball game, but this should help you, hopefully...good luck!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Wishy washy musicians is always a problem, even after you get a great commitment, you knew know when people will change their mind. It's a head ache, even after years of being in bands.

But a few comments.

Your own post sounds wishy-washy
My wife (plays bass) and I have been trying to get a guitarist for jam sessions, maybe even starting a band.
First off: Do you want to jam, or start a band? Your goal is wishy-washy. Better define what is you want to do, and you'll better define who responds. As Ethan01 said, be honest.

Second off: Your wife is the bass player. Ever since John and Yoko, that's a red flag for anyone who thinks they're serious. It's not impossible to get around, but it's something some people may be skeptical about.

But again, as Ethan01 said, be honest about your experience and goals.

For someone who is inexperienced, and just wants some fun, it's not a red flag.
For a young gun who's goal it is to get into a touring band, it sounds less appealing.

Also: Post your age ranges. You'd be surprised how many people may read your add but don't call because they think you're way older/younger than they are, and assume they're a bad fit based on that.

Third: Do you have examples of what you and your wife sound like? It's extremely easy for anyone to create a myspace page and throw up some music samples. Buy/beg/borrow some recording equipment and record you and your wife playing your best stuff and put it up. No, it might not attract what you're looking for, but it will weed out all the people who aren't interested in your musical style.

Forth, as Caddy said, word of mouth and face to face meeting are far more powerful than ads. When I moved to LA, I found my 1st band via an add, but since then, it's all been people I met along the way.

Prior to craigslist being invented, I met a lot of people hanging our in music stores.

The right person for you is out there. It's just a matter of better defining who you are looking for.

Good luck!

lachlin

Thanks for the input guys.
Here is an example of one of my posts on craigslist.

Bassist and drummer seeking guitarist for jam sessions/potential band.

We are both in our 30s and play primarily 90s rock/alternative in the vein of Pixies, weezer etc.We play some metal (Metallica), and even like to jam some CCR. We are looking to have fun first and foremost. If gigs happen down the line, that is cool as well, but not a goal right now.

Now this seems pretty straight forward to me. Am I missing something? And still I get people contacting me who act like they want to get together, then never follow through. We'll set up a date and neutral location to initially meet up, and most of the time they never show up there. The ones that do show up, we'll get together and they'll start strumming all things classic rock. Now, while I like classic rock, I don't really want to play Allman Brothers.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
We are looking to have fun first and foremost. If gigs happen down the line, that is cool as well, but not a goal right now.
Most players looking to jam will jam with friends. The majority of people looking to join a band want to eventually gig.

T

TFITTING942

Keep in mind, you don't want to play classic rock, like Allman brothers but I will bet every guitarist in the bands you mentioned can. You never know where a jam/band will lead so don't tune out to the idea of playing classic rock to break the ice. You may find Mr. classic rock knows the people that will best fit your situation. Network...

toddy

Platinum Member
mainly gigs & parties. oh and lot's of drinking establishments. haven't ever put an advert up... if I don't know anyone suitable in my local area for the gig then it's likely there isn't anyone suitable in my local area.

Travis22

I agree, you need to go out and meet people in person to person situations. I've met many great musicians in local venues just checking out local bands. You never know if the guitar player is looking for another project or knows another guy looking to join band. It always seems that guitar playes know guitar players, just like drummers know drummers. Also, the next time you go by a music store stop in and check the boards. Other than show flyers, I see ads up all the time about people looking for bands.

Last case scenerio check craigslist. I would't even go there personally, but you could get lucky. Just be careful, cause anyone and everyone uses the net. If you answer or post a ad in the music store at least they'll be on camera looking at it if you come up missing. :)