Wired headphones make / model?

dwsabianguy

My favorites are currently ATH-M50x for tracking purposes in the studio. I personally don’t care whether or not they’re “flat” as long as they don’t sound hyped anywhere. M50s are probably too big in the low end, but it’s not overwhelming, and I like a little extra bass from the headphones so I don’t give myself too much into Pro Tools.

I do also really like the Sony 7506 and Beyer DT-770s. I use my 770s in the mix position more than any of the others.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Actually, sennheiser has several models that have user-replaceable plug-in cables. AFAIK, the HD25, most HD500 series, and most HD600 series (which shares the same cables/plugs as the vintage HD414) do, and both original and substitute cables are freely available all over the internet. The same is true for the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, which shares the same cable as the ATH-M50x. The Sony 7506 and the Sennheiser HD280Pro cables are soldered in, so need soldering skills for replacement.

Also, all these models' ear pads and headband pads are freely available all over the internet.

BTW, the HD in Sennheiser headphones is just a model designation, and does not refer to High Definition.
Absolutely. I only made the distinction about the replacement cable with your prior post mentioning the HD 25 Light (also an excellent headphone) but the cable on the HD 25 Light is non-replaceable. However Sennheiser informed me when the newer HD 25 model first came on the market its cable could not be replaced. At that time Sennheiser told me only the HD 25 Plus model had the option for a replaceable cable. Good catch on that, I stand corrected that the current HD 25 model does have a replaceable cable. My older HD 25 MK II cans also had the replaceable cable option as well.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Sennheiser HD598s are my favourite wired headphones, they live at home. Nice flat cans, they really sort men from boys if you're looking for a good mix.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT which are my work and gym headphones but they're wireless. For the money these bad boys are best in class for a out and about headphone.

Mr_Runner

Actually, sennheiser has several models that have user-replaceable plug-in cables. AFAIK, the HD25, most HD500 series, and most HD600 series (which shares the same cables/plugs as the vintage HD414) do, and both original and substitute cables are freely available all over the internet. The same is true for the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, which shares the same cable as the ATH-M50x. The Sony 7506 and the Sennheiser HD280Pro cables are soldered in, so need soldering skills for replacement.

Also, all these models' ear pads and headband pads are freely available all over the internet.

BTW, the HD in Sennheiser headphones is just a model designation, and does not refer to High Definition.
Hi again I'm sorry about the late reply. Again thank you for the info and again quite interesting.

Mr_Runner

Sennheiser HD598s are my favourite wired headphones, they live at home. Nice flat cans, they really sort men from boys if you're looking for a good mix.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT which are my work and gym headphones but they're wireless. For the money these bad boys are best in class for a out and about headphone.
Cool and thank you.

Mr_Runner

My favorites are currently ATH-M50x for tracking purposes in the studio. I personally don’t care whether or not they’re “flat” as long as they don’t sound hyped anywhere. M50s are probably too big in the low end, but it’s not overwhelming, and I like a little extra bass from the headphones so I don’t give myself too much into Pro Tools.

I do also really like the Sony 7506 and Beyer DT-770s. I use my 770s in the mix position more than any of the others.
Cool and thank you.

Mr_Runner

Hi again I have been advised that Roland RH-5 or even Roland RH 300 V may do the trick for use with my Roland TD-27KV. I just wondered what anyone else thinks of this? Anything would be appreciated.

MntnMan62

I agree. I've had my Sony 7506 headphones for 5 years and they continue to deliver great sound for a fairly modest price. The phone cushions haven't held up well but they can be easily replaced.
Once my cushions started to disintigrate I bought the velour ones. I actually should have put them on immediately as I found the original equipment ones would "crunch" a bit when moved and would interfere with the music. Now they are totally silent and super comfortable.

Mr_Runner

Hi again I went with the Roland RH 300 V in the end. At the moment I'm just using them with my Roland TD-27KV. I realise there maybe even possibly better headphones and also at a cheaper price but I'm quite inexperienced with headphones generally speaking. Even with some of these possibly better and cheaper headphones it could come down to needs and preferences and again I haven't the personal and direct experience to really be aware of some of the info with other makes and models that could influence preferences for them. I know some makes that seem to be well thought of but that's about it. There wasn't really anywhere where I could try some of these makes and models of headphones out.

The Roland RH 300 V seem good but like I've said I haven't had a lot to compare them with (good quality ones) and I probably wouldn't know the differences even if I did. Again preference could come into it from several angles. They are a lot better than the temporary ones I was using but they are I think more designed for an iPod type setup, even if they were Sennheisers.

Thank you everyone for your help, it was really greatly appreciated.