Wired headphones make / model?

Mr_Runner

Hi I currently have some Audio-Technica ATH-M20 wired headphones but I think they maybe faulty as I'm only getting sound from one side. I looked into a possible fix but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. I think there is a newer model as I got the headphones back in 2013. I think and heard Audio-Technica are ok but I just wondered what anyone else thought make / model wise? I would be using them with my Roland TD-27KV so would be looking to get some hopefully good half decent ones.

MntnMan62

I don't know the MDR 7509's and looking around online can't seem to find anyone who carries them. I have a pair of the Sony MDR 7506 and love them. Also bought a pair for my son and he loves them as well. And the 7506s are also considered a staple in the audio industry. These range from about $90 to $100 new as well.

Mr_Runner

I don't know the MDR 7509's and looking around online can't seem to find anyone who carries them. I have a pair of the Sony MDR 7506 and love them. Also bought a pair for my son and he loves them as well. And the 7506s are also considered a staple in the audio industry. These range from about $90 to $100 new as well.
Cool and thanks again.

MntnMan62

No problem. What I like about them is that you are likely hearing what the engineer who mixed the music heard and how he intended it to sound. My wife, and to some extent my son would argue with me over this. They both were telling me how great the Beats were. I would listen to them and couldn't stand how much bass there was. I became overwhelming, not in a good way. I shared my thoughts with both of them. My son, who plays bass and listens to a lot of the same music as I do one day came to me and said, "You know what dad? After using the Beats for a long time I tried the Sonys again and you know what? I see what you mean. I actually like them better now." He ended up selling the Beats and still has the Sonys. And the Beats were close to $300. To me that's just unnecessary for a pair of headphones. But there are lots of people who love them so, to each his/her own.

makinao

Silver Member
The competition is fierce in the closed-back headphones under US$100 category. Among the usual suspects are the Sony 7506, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Sennheiser HD 25 Light, Shure SRH440, or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. Try to find a store where you can audition them first.

electrodrummer

Look at this forum for 1 million headphone suggestions.

If you ask drummers, you'll also get 1,000 suggestion,

You've given no budget so impossible to suggest anything concrete.

I'll chuck in Sennheisers into the mix. As I've said 100 times on here, Been using HD205s live for more years that you've had (etc).

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Sennheiser HD 25 Plus headphones are lightweight and stay rock solid in place. This is the only HD model that you can purchase a full replacement cable from Sennheiser. I used my last HD 25 cans daily for eight years and replaced the cable twice.
Honorable mention: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. A bit heavier than the HD 25 Plus but a very comfortable set of phones.

Mr_Runner

No problem. What I like about them is that you are likely hearing what the engineer who mixed the music heard and how he intended it to sound. My wife, and to some extent my son would argue with me over this. They both were telling me how great the Beats were. I would listen to them and couldn't stand how much bass there was. I became overwhelming, not in a good way. I shared my thoughts with both of them. My son, who plays bass and listens to a lot of the same music as I do one day came to me and said, "You know what dad? After using the Beats for a long time I tried the Sonys again and you know what? I see what you mean. I actually like them better now." He ended up selling the Beats and still has the Sonys. And the Beats were close to $300. To me that's just unnecessary for a pair of headphones. But there are lots of people who love them so, to each his/her own.
Ok thanks a lot for all of that. I would be using them mainly with my Roland TD-27KV rather than music per se if that makes much difference? although I do listen to backing tracks from my laptop as part of Rockschool syllabus stuff. Your story sounds just like family life!

Mr_Runner

Grado SR80e is my choice for music listening & checking a mix.
Ok thanks a lot for that. I would be using them mainly with my Roland TD-27KV rather than music per se if that makes much difference? although I do listen to backing tracks from my laptop as part of Rockschool syllabus stuff.

Mr_Runner

The competition is fierce in the closed-back headphones under US$100 category. Among the usual suspects are the Sony 7506, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Sennheiser HD 25 Light, Shure SRH440, or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. Try to find a store where you can audition them first.
Cool thanks a lot for that. Your audition stuff is cool advice although I'd have to find a place where I can do that that have them in. I'd probably have to do a bit of searching but thanks to you you've given me a reasonable start and I appreciate that.

Mr_Runner

Look at this forum for 1 million headphone suggestions.

If you ask drummers, you'll also get 1,000 suggestion,

You've given no budget so impossible to suggest anything concrete.

I'll chuck in Sennheisers into the mix. As I've said 100 times on here, Been using HD205s live for more years that you've had (etc).
Cool I'll check it out.

In terms of a budget I was thinking £50 - £100 should cover it for a good half decent pair for use with my Roland TD-27KV? I checked some prices out a bit and it seems like everything else - you can spend as much as you have and someone will always take as much as you have. I've seen a pair for £500. With all this stuff though it depends on whether paying that extra is in line with your needs at best. I think if it isn't it could be a waste of money. It seems with some stuff people are just adding 100s of £ to stuff for the sake of it almost and again could seem a waste of money however much you may have. Not sure how much of this applies to headphones although like some other electronic stuff you maybe paying for the higher quality electronics and technology which isn't always obvious unless you have some experience with that.

I've heard Sennheisers are good but with music etc although I realise that could also apply to instrument stuff too. I don't know man I'm starting to tot up the years now! Joking aside thanks again. You're nearly as bad as me starting to sound like an old git! I'm well on the way as long as I'm still around!

Mr_Runner

Sennheiser HD 25 Plus headphones are lightweight and stay rock solid in place. This is the only HD model that you can purchase a full replacement cable from Sennheiser. I used my last HD 25 cans daily for eight years and replaced the cable twice.
Honorable mention: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. A bit heavier than the HD 25 Plus but a very comfortable set of phones.
I've heard Sennheisers are good but with music etc although I realise that could also apply to instrument stuff too. I didn't even know high definition headphones existed? The replacement cable stuff sounds interesting and I'd like to think that what I was going to buy was going to at least last a bit. Thanks for all of that.

makinao

Silver Member
This is the only HD model that you can purchase a full replacement cable from Sennheiser. I used my last HD 25 cans daily for eight years and replaced the cable twice.
Actually, sennheiser has several models that have user-replaceable plug-in cables. AFAIK, the HD25, most HD500 series, and most HD600 series (which shares the same cables/plugs as the vintage HD414) do, and both original and substitute cables are freely available all over the internet. The same is true for the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, which shares the same cable as the ATH-M50x. The Sony 7506 and the Sennheiser HD280Pro cables are soldered in, so need soldering skills for replacement.

Also, all these models' ear pads and headband pads are freely available all over the internet.

BTW, the HD in Sennheiser headphones is just a model designation, and does not refer to High Definition.