wipeout

Royston

Hi,
now maybe as my OL's a fan and dirty dancing has recently been on the telly she has set me a target of being able to "do" the drums to wipeout.
I have to add here that I only picked up the drums back in July, I have several injuries on my ageing body that slow my learning but for sure i am improving.....
Whilst I cant read music fully yet maybe if I were to read the sheet music it might point me in a direction to learn tho ?

You guys in here been so good to help in the past I thought I might throw this one out here?

Cheers
R

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Myself and every drummer I knew when I was a kid,learned wipe out by just listening to it.It's straight up singles with accents.I use my left for all the accents,some guys do it differently.

There are actually two versions of wipe out,with the Ventures version being the most popular.I've heard another version with no accents at all,which is pretty dull actually.

Just check out youtube for the tune.:)

Steve B

gaz farrimond

I play Wipeout as an encore with The Waterboarders.

There's a DVD out called 'The Drummers Guide To Surf Music' where (IIRC) Jim Fuller explains why most drummers get it wrong and goes through the signature rolls for the track.

I'll see if I can dig out the chart I wrote when I learned the track; it may help you.

But a quick insight into how Jim says it is played: Capitals are accented strokes, 'b' for bass drum. (Warning, I have had three glasses of wine)

Surfaris, not Ventures version.

XxxxXxxxXxxxXxxx l XxxxxxxXxxxXxxxx = snare or toms
b___b___b___b___ l b___b___b___b___ = bass drum (Ignore the lines they are to get the correct spacing, the '1 + 2 + 3 + 4' count is on the bass drum)

Last edited:

The Black Page Dude

Hi,
now maybe as my OL's a fan and dirty dancing has recently been on the telly she has set me a target of being able to "do" the drums to wipeout.
I have to add here that I only picked up the drums back in July, I have several injuries on my ageing body that slow my learning but for sure i am improving.....
Whilst I cant read music fully yet maybe if I were to read the sheet music it might point me in a direction to learn tho ?

You guys in here been so good to help in the past I thought I might throw this one out here?

Cheers
R
Definitely learn to read. Learn to learn by ear. Learn by video ... don't leave any rock unturned. Everything you do to improve your skill set and ability to comprehend the art of drumming will make you a stronger player.

As for the Wipeout thing. I would take heed in what Gaz had to say. If you are going to learn an epic tune, learn it right the first time. You learn so much when you pick a classic piece of music apart!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Gawd, in the '60s everyone was pounding this out on their desks in class. Drummers on not.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If you find Gruntersdad on YouTube , my channel, I have a slow dumped version of how I learned it and it sounds fine

A

Anthony Amodeo

paradiddle paradiddle paradiddle paradiddle paradiddle double paradiddle double paradiddle

...and repeat

works great

Royston

Cheers for your thoughts and pointers guys.
I will look up the stuff mentioned and may get back.
Thanks again to all of you,
R

Jack Boyd

If you find Gruntersdad on YouTube , my channel, I have a slow dumped version of how I learned it and it sounds fine
Sir Gruntersdad,
What do you mean by "slow dumped version"?
Are you playing 4 paradiddles, 2 paradiddle-diddles, 1 paradiddle, repeat?
Thanks!

Thud

Where I have trouble is transitioning into the roll and then getting back into the groove afterwards. Needs more work :)