Winter namm 2020

4tKvpUsrG22JMG9RABL9Y4-1024-80.jpg

MSRP: $1,160.00

I’d like to see the Mapex Saturn Evolution finishes and learn more about the new mount system, which appears to combine features of Noble & Cooley’s and Josh’s spring INDe mount.

Sorry about that bro. Like I said I don’t know why that thought popped in my head. Maybe it’s the name River Cypress or whatever.
I’m just used to seeing beautiful Gretsch satins, lacquer’s and wraps. It is amazing though.
I do agree with most of what you said but didn’t mean to open a proverbial can of worms.

Gretsch has always done limited runs now and then of things that are a bit different.

If the classic stuff suddenly wasn't available, that'd a different story.

Now, bring back the New Classics.

Last edited:
True, true!
Maybe it’s just the “made from a 150 year old tree dragged up from a South Carolina lake” or riverbed or whatever. Hmmm....
No biggie here though. It’s beautiful and I’m sure amazing sounding.

Also I didn’t mean to imply anything negative. DW are certainly masters of marketing and innovation.
Nothing wrong with that, and after all Gretsch is in the business of selling drums.
Also smart using natural and regional resources for such a beauty of a kit. DW has not messed with the magic formula so we’re good.
Speaking of DW. Kind of quiet at this NAMM aren’t they, or maybe we’re just not hearing it yet.

Also I didn’t mean to imply anything negative. DW are certainly masters of marketing and innovation.
Nothing wrong with that, and after all Gretsch is in the business of selling drums.
Also smart using natural and regional resources for such a beauty of a kit. DW has not messed with the magic formula so we’re good.
Speaking of DW. Kind of quiet at this NAMM aren’t they, or maybe we’re just not hearing it yet.
Most of DW's new stuff is PDP. They've got a few new finishes and the 5000 XF pedals.

My Starclassic Maple is one of my favorite kits, and I love Tama, but man can they make some horrid finishes. Stryper kit on one side and Helloween on the other, sandwiching what I can only describe as a bruise on a corpse purple burst.

Thinking DW, when seeing a Gretsch drum set, will always be the last thing on my mind. They were making great looking and sounding drums before DW got their distribution rights. But that's just me. Quite frankly I don't understand why DW didn't just name the PDP brand, a PDP series of DW 20 years ago. Almost as if even they thought the PDP were not of good enough quality to bear the DW brand. And yet they were PDP by DW. The PDP snares above look great, especially the one with the dark wood hoops.

Could DW, if they are not careful, turn into the next Gibson? Too many irons in one fire? Just something to think about. Good and (especially) Lombardi are close to "hanging it up" age. A whole bunch of assets to eventually to unload for big $$$ to an entity that may not care about musicians. Just something to think about.

Back