Winter namm 2020

Wackerman

winter namm 2020 coming soon! rumors and predictions start now....

new Speedking bass drum pedal from Ludwig
traveler set from SJC
TAMA Starclassic Birch snare
ATV aD5 5th anniversary limited edition...

Paiste Traditional 20" & 22" light swish

I predict -
Ludwig will bring out an 8 lug Black Beauty with imperial lugs , triple flange hoops all chrome hardware .

DW will use the Classic shells for the first models of the newly reintroduced Slingerland line . Danny Seraphine and John JR Robinson will endorse the new Slingerland .

Noble and Cooley will announce a new snare drum with a different wood shell (Sourced locally)

Sonor will introduce another incredibly expensive one of a kind model at the show .

Sabian will introduce Artisan thin crashes and Raw Bell Artisan rides

I know a thing or two, but I don't know how much will be ready for NAMM. :)

I'm convinced it doesn't matter. All people want are Fenders, Gibsons, Martins, and Ludwigs. Anything new and notable are just footnotes. We all go for the foodie trucks outside.

I wish NAMM would pick a more centrally located venue. I would love to be able to go, but a 23 hour drive to look at new gear is a bit much. KC or STL would be a much more inclusive location for the rest of us.

I wish NAMM would pick a more centrally located venue. I would love to be able to go, but a 23 hour drive to look at new gear is a bit much. KC or STL would be a much more inclusive location for the rest of us.

The summer NAMM show has always been more in the center of the US, including a long-standing residency at McCormick Place in Chicago until about 30 years ago. It was originally a larger show than L.A., but that turned around a while back, and the summer show participation has declined significantly*. Many companies - even very large ones - don't currently exhibit there. Nashville is a small show - only 3 days - and unlike L.A., I think the last day (Sunday) is an official public day. There's just not a lot to see for drummers. You'd have more fun doing touristy stuff on lower Broadway than at the show.

With regard to the L.A. show, there are a few reasons it is where it is, and is destined to stay as long as exhibitors and buyers keep attending.

The weather is California is usually warm compared to many parts of the US (and world) and is a nice destination for buyers, making a nice getaway from winter, with doing business as an excuse.

The Anaheim Convention Center is directly across the street from Disneyland, and there's a lot to do in the area (as well as L.A.) in case the buyer takes a day or two for themselves or brings their family. So there's a 'destination' factor.

The show has grown over the years and so has the facility, undergoing two major expansions in the last 20 years alone. It is a GIGANTIC place. NAMM represents a large percentage of the venue's revenue, and the city caters to them accordingly. I believe NAMM is the largest convention of any kind in the western hemisphere, and with MusikMesse shrinking over the years, may now be the largest in the world. (Yes... NAMM!) Finding another facility for the show with the same accommodations is probably impossible. Other considerations such as hotels, restaurants, local transportation, and ease/cost of travel getting into the area (there are four major airports within an hour of Anaheim) also figure prominently in retaining that venue.

Ultimately, as this is (ostensibly) a trade show and not a public event, location convenience isn't really an issue. Companies and buyers pretty much have to attend as a cost of doing business.

Bermuda

* The reason the summer show has dwindled over the years is due to exhibitors (and buyers) finding it expensive to participate in two large events a year, and many companies just don't have enough new product that requires two major pushes each year. Because Anaheim is so desirable compared to any of the locations of the summer show, everyone involved gravitated to it.

Last edited:
I mean I get it, nice weather, other stuff to do...those of us with no other reason to go other than the convention are kinda left out. Dallas is pretty much the same distance from east/west/north coasts. It's the big show, the rest of us want to go too!

I mean I get it, nice weather, other stuff to do...those of us with no other reason to go other than the convention are kinda left out. Dallas is pretty much the same distance from east/west/north coasts. It's the big show, the rest of us want to go too!

There's also the non-public aspect of the show, which has been discussed at length before. I know a LOT of people get in who aren't part of the manufacturing/distribution/retail sectors, but NAMM does try to ensure everyone fits their attendance guidelines. In other words, you can't just walk up and register for a badge, unless you're already eligible to attend, in which case you would have done it online and been approved in advance.

Bermuda

Last edited:
There's also the non-public aspect of the show, which has been discussed at length before. I know a LOT of people get in who aren't part of the manufacturing/distribution/retail sectors, but NAMM does try to ensure everyone fits their attendance guidelines. In other words, you can't just walk up and register for a badge, unless you're already eligible to attend, in which case you would have done it online and been approved in advance.

Bermuda
Even the guys walking around in the furry costumes! There is a bit of circus that is NAMM.

I wish NAMM would pick a more centrally located venue.
Something that’s similar but for end-users is Sweetwater’s Gearfest every year in Ft. Wayne, IN. It’s fun, educational, informative and most vendors have deals. There’s also a “used” tent (I saw an original Camco snare for sale).

...those of us with no other reason to go other than the convention are kinda left out. Dallas is pretty much the same distance from east/west/north coasts. It's the big show, the rest of us want to go too!

As Bermuda mentioned, if you are the actual NAMM target demography, you'll take the cost for making business. I mean, I travel from fricking Sweden every other year to attend!

(Though, I admit, the nice weather doesn't really hurt...)

Back