Winter namm 2020

johnjssmith

What is Mapex doing!?
I'm baffled by their communication strategy - every other big player (Yamaha, DW/pdp, Ludwig, Sonor...) already have lots of content, text and videos, about new products on their websites, and Mapex, which is doing a big rehaul of the Black Panther snare family AND launching a new Saturn series, has no news or info about them on their website.
They definitely need a new marketing manager, if they even have one at the moment.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yamaha's MSRP's are totally ridiculous fantasy land.

Stage Custom - 870 to 1560: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/drum_sets/stage_custom_birch/index.html
Tour Custom - 2150: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/drum_sets/tour_custom2/index.html
Hybrid Maple - 5400 - 7690: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/drum_sets/absolute_hybrid_maple/index.html

The Japanese are totally out of touch. You should see the prices for some basses on ebay - laughable, but at least they almost never sell.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Hahah. That happens sometimes :p

You do get more compact sizes and a bigger sounding kick and a second snare. Not to bad for a new released item that probably will lower in price like the bop kit has in the past.

RobertM

Platinum Member
I’d like to see the Mapex Saturn Evolution finishes and learn more about the new mount system, which appears to combine features of Noble & Cooley’s and Josh’s spring INDe mount.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Sorry about that bro. Like I said I don’t know why that thought popped in my head. Maybe it’s the name River Cypress or whatever.
I’m just used to seeing beautiful Gretsch satins, lacquer’s and wraps. It is amazing though.
I do agree with most of what you said but didn’t mean to open a proverbial can of worms.
Gretsch has always done limited runs now and then of things that are a bit different.

If the classic stuff suddenly wasn't available, that'd a different story.

Now, bring back the New Classics.

Last edited:

Drumprof

True, true!
Maybe it’s just the “made from a 150 year old tree dragged up from a South Carolina lake” or riverbed or whatever. Hmmm....
No biggie here though. It’s beautiful and I’m sure amazing sounding.

Drumprof

Also I didn’t mean to imply anything negative. DW are certainly masters of marketing and innovation.
Nothing wrong with that, and after all Gretsch is in the business of selling drums.
Also smart using natural and regional resources for such a beauty of a kit. DW has not messed with the magic formula so we’re good.
Speaking of DW. Kind of quiet at this NAMM aren’t they, or maybe we’re just not hearing it yet.

Also I didn’t mean to imply anything negative. DW are certainly masters of marketing and innovation.
Nothing wrong with that, and after all Gretsch is in the business of selling drums.
Also smart using natural and regional resources for such a beauty of a kit. DW has not messed with the magic formula so we’re good.
Speaking of DW. Kind of quiet at this NAMM aren’t they, or maybe we’re just not hearing it yet.
Most of DW's new stuff is PDP. They've got a few new finishes and the 5000 XF pedals.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Don’t forget the new Collector’s kit and piccolo snares (one of them being a Carbon model the “Xi”). Those also sport the new mini Mag strainer from what I read.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
My Starclassic Maple is one of my favorite kits, and I love Tama, but man can they make some horrid finishes. Stryper kit on one side and Helloween on the other, sandwiching what I can only describe as a bruise on a corpse purple burst.