Winter namm 2020

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I mean I get it, nice weather, other stuff to do...those of us with no other reason to go other than the convention are kinda left out. Dallas is pretty much the same distance from east/west/north coasts. It's the big show, the rest of us want to go too!
I would venture to say there's not a facility in Dallas metro that could accommodate the winter show. It's a HUGE event that takes up a LOT of space. The Anaheim Convention Center boasts 5 large halls totaling 813,000sqf, an arena with 28,000sqf, a hallway that connects them with an additional 20 exhibitors, a 2nd floor with meeting rooms/halls totaling 65,000sqf, a 3rd floor* with more meeting rooms totaling almost 16,000sqf, two newer halls totaling 200,000sqf, and NAMM fills every hall with very little wasted space.

Oh yeah, Yamaha hasn't been able to fit in the halls for some time, so they exhibit in the adjacent Marriott ballrooms totaling over 35,000sqf. AND there are additional companies now exhibiting at the Marriott starting a few shows ago.

That's almost 1.2 million sqf of indoor space. There's also a large outdoor concert stage.

If there was another facility prepared to handle it, they would be courting NAMM with all sorts of incentives to move it there. According to my sources - several exhibiting companies - NAMM has not proposed moving the show.

For comparison purposes, the Los Angeles Convention Center, which Wikipedia describes as "one of the largest convention centers in the United States) is only 720,000sqf, with an additional 147,000sqf of "meeting space", which falls significantly short to house NAMM (not to mention the relative lack of hotel rooms, and impossible traffic in downtown L.A.) Trust me, L.A. would LOVE to have that business, but they can't handle the size or offer the amenities and ease of access that Anaheim offers.

Bermuda

* These 2nd and 3rd level rooms are where some of the major guitar, piano, and drum companies such as DW and Pearl show their wares.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

For comparison purposes, the Los Angeles Convention Center, which Wikipedia describes as "one of the largest convention centers in the United States) is only 720,000sqf, with an additional 147,000sqf of "meeting space", which falls significantly short to house NAMM (not to mention the relative lack of hotel rooms, and impossible traffic in downtown L.A.) Trust me, L.A. would LOVE to have that business, but they can't handle the size or offer the amenities and ease of access that Anaheim offers.
Wow, the LA Convention Center isn't big enough?? I went to the E3 convention there one year, it was crazy. Hard to imagine that NAMM is even bigger.

dboomer

NAMM was pretty disasterious the few years in the 90s when it was held in the LA convention center while Anaheim was remodeling.

bermuda

Staff member
Wow, the LA Convention Center isn't big enough?? I went to the E3 convention there one year, it was crazy. Hard to imagine that NAMM is even bigger.
NAMM is HUGE. I know that it was the largest (size-wise) in the western hemisphere, probably the world now.

bermuda

Staff member
NAMM was pretty disasterious the few years in the 90s when it was held in the LA convention center while Anaheim was remodeling.
Yep, the show barely fit, parking was horrible, and I can only imagine how bad the hotel situation was. Those few years (99-2001 maybe?) were the precursor to what NAMM was finally able to do starting in 2018: segregate exhibitors by their product (somewhat.) Historically, drums and audio and horns and keys and guitars and strings and accessories were just kind of spread out, and many exhibitors liked and valued their locations. They were close to certain companies, not close to others, buyers knew where to find them, or perhaps they were near an entrance where traffic was heavy. For a drum shop owner, that meant basically walking the entire show to see all of the companies. Now, with just a few exceptions - Yamaha, DW, Pearl, Meinl, Tama - all of the drum products are in one hall. It's also the loudest hall at the show and noise fatigue is a real problem.

Exhibitors fought this segregation vehemently for decades (they gritted their teeth in L.A.) but NAMM made a sweeping change with the completion of the two "ACC" halls for the 2018 show, and they had the final word. The 'visitor' in me definitely appreciates having most of what I need to see in one area!

Bermuda

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
Maybe they should chop it up into Guitar NAMM, Drum NAMM, Audio Equipment NAMM, haha.
They kind of have (see post above) but there would be a few conflicts. For example, Yamaha currently has two large ballrooms for all of their musical products. Imagine if they were forced to split everything up by item! They have drums & orchestral & marching percussion, guitars, horns, keys, strings, and audio! Hoshino would face the same dilemma with guitar lines and Tama drums.

Bermuda

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
I started looking at other convention centers, and indeed the Las Vegas facility could handle easily handle the space requirements of the NAMM show. There are certainly a ton of hotels and plenty to do in the area, so it seems like an attractive place! I'm sure that NAMM has an agreement for the future in Anaheim, but I wonder if there's a reason NAMM had not considered LV at some point? I would certainly go there, but since Vegas is not significantly closer to the midwest, it doesn't solve the desire for centrality.

Bermuda

Yep, the show barely fit, parking was horrible, and I can only imagine how bad the hotel situation was. Those few years (99-2001 maybe?) were the precursor to what NAMM was finally able to do starting in 2018: segregate exhibitors by their product (somewhat.) Historically, drums and audio and horns and keys and guitars and strings and accessories were just kind of spread out, and many exhibitors liked and valued their locations. They were close to certain companies, not close to others, buyers knew where to find them, or perhaps they were near an entrance where traffic was heavy. For a drum shop owner, that meant basically walking the entire show to see all of the companies. Now, with just a few exceptions - Yamaha, DW, Pearl, Meinl, Tama - all of the drum products are in one hall. It's also the loudest hall at the show and noise fatigue is a real problem.

Exhibitors fought this segregation vehemently for decades (they gritted their teeth in L.A.) but NAMM made a sweeping change with the completion of the two "ACC" halls for the 2018 show, and they had the final word. The 'visitor' in me definitely appreciates having most of what I need to see in one area!

Bermuda
The pro audio companies were happy to finally have their own (more quiet) space in the ACC North halls.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The Messe does this. They have everything split up (since the begining?) by product catagories

Yamaha has their own building for everything and that itself is split up in different product groups.

They also have the volume police and yes you get fined if your booth excels at a certain level.

It helps but it can be better still.

There is a big decay though these last years, and there are brands showing up less and less.

Some companies organise separate events throughout the hear like Pearl did, on a boat. It was more affordable to pay for clients coming over, than to pay the Messe booth price.

Wackerman

Find on the net from Yamaha:
... « while Percussion will roll out products ranging from enhanced software to a signature instrument to a compact gigging set »

IBitePrettyHard

Find on the net from Yamaha:
... « while Percussion will roll out products ranging from enhanced software to a signature instrument to a compact gigging set »
Ooh.....Yamaha is coming out with a compact gigging set? Let's hope it sets a new standard for portable kits. Maybe something that doesn't compete directly with the Stage Custom bop? A kit with a 20x12" or 20x14" bass drum would be cool.

I hope it's not a Russian dolls kit where everything fits inside the bass drum. While that kind of kit has it's place, it's a serious compromise on sound in favor of portability.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Just be patient and realize that anything really new will not be available until May or June of 2020 at the earliest.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That's almost 1.2 million sqf of indoor space. There's also a large outdoor concert stage.
That is a lot of space. The McCormic Place in Chicago has 2.6 million sq ft, but I get that no one wants to get shot at in 2' of snow.

Everything else big enough is still on a coast or in Vegas.

Guess if I ever make it to NAMM I'll either need a reason to go to Cali, or it moves closer. 24 hour drive just to look at drums isn't really logical.

bermuda

Staff member
That is a lot of space. The McCormic Place in Chicago has 2.6 million sq ft, but I get that no one wants to get shot at in 2' of snow.

Everything else big enough is still on a coast or in Vegas.
While there are a few other places large enough, the logistics play a huge part. In Anaheim, the convention center is right in the midst of a ton of hotels and restaurants (that exist for the benefit of Disneyland as a destination,) all within walking distance, and with somewhat attractive rates. I dare say Chicago is a lot more expensive in the vicinity of McCormick Place, and there's just not that much to do right there for NAMM attenders who want to take a day for themselves. Now, Vegas is a different story in terms of hotels and stuff to do, and is over the top entertainment-wise compared to Disneyland. But who knows what they charge to rent the facility out for the approx. 3 weeks that NAMM does?

Bermuda

toonamike

While there are a few other places large enough, the logistics play a huge part. In Anaheim, the convention center is right in the midst of a ton of hotels and restaurants (that exist for the benefit of Disneyland as a destination,) all within walking distance, and with somewhat attractive rates. I dare say Chicago is a lot more expensive in the vicinity of McCormick Place, and there's just not that much to do right there for NAMM attenders who want to take a day for themselves. Now, Vegas is a different story in terms of hotels and stuff to do, and is over the top entertainment-wise compared to Disneyland. But who knows what they charge to rent the facility out for the approx. 3 weeks that NAMM does?

Bermuda
Orlando's Orange County Convention Center has 2.1 million square foot. That site could probably work for NAMM. Tons of hotels, restaurants, entertainment and theme parks.

A lot of the exhibitors are based around SoCal, which I'm sure factors into having it in Anaheim as well. Personally I think that is a great location for it and I wouldn't want them to move. Gives me a chance to visit LA.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I just saw a post from Ludwig on Facebook stating a major announcement is coming in a few days with a sparkling Ludwig badge graphic. Maybe I’m off but that strikes me as being bigger than a speed king reveal.