William F. Miller Obituary (Modern Drummer Magazine)

aaajn

Silver Member
Was home in NJ for Christmas vacation and found the local obituary for William Miller, Editor in Chief of Modern Drummer. Very sad indeed.

http://obits.nj.com/starledger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=121350140

William F. Miller
Editor-in-chief of Modern Drummer magazine, 47

William F. Miller, 47, of Cedar Grove passed away on Saturday, Dec. 12, 2008, at his home. Funeral services are on Tuesday at 9 a.m. from Shook's Cedar Grove Funeral Home, 486 Pompton Ave. (Rt. 23), Cedar Grove, N.J. 07009. Service is at 10 a.m. at Christ Church of Bloomfield and Glen Ridge. Chapel services will follow at Rosedale Crematory/Cemetery. Visitation will be on Monday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. in the funeral home. Born in Elmhurst, Ill., and raised in Elgin, Ill., Mr. Miller then lived in Montclair for several years before moving to Cedar Grove two years ago. He showed progress on the drums early, participating in the Elgin Youth Symphony up until his college years. He started his college career at Northern Illinois University, then transferred to the University of Miami. In 1984, he received his bachelor's degree in music merchandising from their renowned music program. Bill then started at Modern Drummer Publications as an intern, and afterward was offered a position as an associate editor. A few years later, he was promoted to features editor and then in 2003 he was named editor-in-chief of Modern Drummer magazine. In addition to his publishing career, he was a tremendously respected drummer. Bill had the privilege of studying with the legendary Joe Morello. He also played and/or recorded with groups including, The Trust, The Barleycorns, Raving Noah, The Bobby Syvarth Combo, Laurie Cagno, Swampadelica, and The Roamin' Gabriels. He was the cherished son to Clifford and Isabel Miller. He is survived by his wife of 13 years, Sarah-Louise Otazo. He was the devoted father to Clifford Maximino Miller; loving brother to Marilyn Dacken Sloane and her husband, Phillip, and Douglas Miller and his wife, the late Cindy Miller; cherished uncle to Heather, Aaron, Steven, Brian, and Jon; loving brother-in-law to Christopher Otazo and son-in-law to Sally Otazo. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in his memory to the Frost School of Music, University of Miami, P.O. Box 248165, Coral Gables, Fla., 33124, or the Melanoma Research Foundation, 170 Township Line Rd. Hillsborough, N.J. 08844, www.melanoma.org.

D

drummmhead

Was home in NJ for Christmas vacation and found the local obituary for William Miller, Editor in Chief of Modern Drummer. Very sad indeed.

http://obits.nj.com/starledger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=121350140

William F. Miller
Editor-in-chief of Modern Drummer magazine, 47

William F. Miller, 47, of Cedar Grove passed away on Saturday, Dec. 12, 2008, at his home. Funeral services are on Tuesday at 9 a.m. from Shook's Cedar Grove Funeral Home, 486 Pompton Ave. (Rt. 23), Cedar Grove, N.J. 07009. Service is at 10 a.m. at Christ Church of Bloomfield and Glen Ridge. Chapel services will follow at Rosedale Crematory/Cemetery. Visitation will be on Monday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. in the funeral home. Born in Elmhurst, Ill., and raised in Elgin, Ill., Mr. Miller then lived in Montclair for several years before moving to Cedar Grove two years ago. He showed progress on the drums early, participating in the Elgin Youth Symphony up until his college years. He started his college career at Northern Illinois University, then transferred to the University of Miami. In 1984, he received his bachelor's degree in music merchandising from their renowned music program. Bill then started at Modern Drummer Publications as an intern, and afterward was offered a position as an associate editor. A few years later, he was promoted to features editor and then in 2003 he was named editor-in-chief of Modern Drummer magazine. In addition to his publishing career, he was a tremendously respected drummer. Bill had the privilege of studying with the legendary Joe Morello. He also played and/or recorded with groups including, The Trust, The Barleycorns, Raving Noah, The Bobby Syvarth Combo, Laurie Cagno, Swampadelica, and The Roamin' Gabriels. He was the cherished son to Clifford and Isabel Miller. He is survived by his wife of 13 years, Sarah-Louise Otazo. He was the devoted father to Clifford Maximino Miller; loving brother to Marilyn Dacken Sloane and her husband, Phillip, and Douglas Miller and his wife, the late Cindy Miller; cherished uncle to Heather, Aaron, Steven, Brian, and Jon; loving brother-in-law to Christopher Otazo and son-in-law to Sally Otazo. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in his memory to the Frost School of Music, University of Miami, P.O. Box 248165, Coral Gables, Fla., 33124, or the Melanoma Research Foundation, 170 Township Line Rd. Hillsborough, N.J. 08844, www.melanoma.org.
This is a terrible terrible loss for not only his family but for everyone in the drum community. He was a class act in every respect. A great guy. Does anyone know what happened? I haven't seen him face to face in over a year but he looked fine when i did see him last.

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
I was shocked and saddened to hear of Bill's passing..What a wonderful, warm man, and was very supportive of all the artists who contributed to MD. I am assuming he was sick for a while, as he did not attend PASIC this year.

You will be missed , Bill. Godspeed.

M

michael drums

OMG!

This is so shocking to me. Bill Miller was very, and I mean VERY, good at responding to readers questions @ Modern Drummer. I had corresponded a few times to MD in the past and I always received an answer/explanation from him, quite quickly. And not necessarily asking HIM specifically. But he was very generous with his time to his readers, and this is such a huge loss to the drumming community.

Very sudden, and way too young, for sure! :-(

RIP, Mr. Miller.

Last edited:

LM201

RIP Mr Miller, you'll be missed dearly..

Jeez it seems 2008 is a terrible year for the drumming community....

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
Bill was a great guy and one of the classiest people in the industry. I am extremely thankful for all he has done for the drumming community.

It was an honor to work with him. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Terry

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Bill Miller, MD Editor, Passes Away

I received this email today with great sadness. Bill was a great guy, who was always eager to help drummers with projects, and always had a kind word. I will miss his hand shake and enthusiastic greatings each time I saw him.

I last saw him at the MD fest, sitting in a chair backstage like a proud father, watching the event that he managed run so smoothly.

Thanks, Bill, and say hi to all the greats for us.

Pat

Bill Miller
June 21, 1961 — December 12, 2008

Dear friends:
It is with great sadness that we tell you of the passing of Modern Drummer editor in chief William F.
Miller. Bill left us this past December 12, after a long and noble bout with cancer. Our hearts and thoughts
are with Bill’s wife, Sarah, with their son, Clifford, and with the entire Miller and Otazo families.

Bill began his career at Modern Drummer as an intern over twenty years ago, eventually rising to MD’s top
editorial post. A protégé of the magazine’s founder, Ron Spagnardi, Bill loved his work, identified himself
with it, and dedicated all of his energy and effort
toward it. His presence will be greatly missed.

Below is information for those wishing to pay their respects.

Visitation:
Monday, December 15
2:00-4:00 p.m. and 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Shooks Funeral Home
486 Pompton Avenue
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009
(973) 239-1489

Service:
Tuesday, December 16
10:00 a.m.
Christ Episcopal Church Of Bloomfield - Glen Ridge
74 Park Avenue, Glen Ridge, NJ 07028
(973) 743-5911

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in his memory to the Frost School of Music, University of
Miami, P.O. Box 248165, Coral Gables, Fla., 33124, or the Melanoma Research Foundation, 170 Township
Line Rd. Hillsborough, N.J. 08844, www.melanoma.org.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Re: Bill Miller, MD Editor, Passes Away

Oh man.. I met him at the MD Festival too, such a nice man indeed.

He will be missed. :(

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member

I know Bill was fighting hard this cruel cancer for some years.

Very sad to hear, that he lost finally. What a big loss.

My deep condolences and thoughts go to his family and friends.

Bernhard

John Riley

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I am saddened and shocked to learn of Bill's sudden passing. Though he's been battling for a few years, that never diminished his enthusiasim. Bill sounded a little weaker than usual when we last spoke, a couple weeks ago, but he was still making plans for the future...

Bill was a leader and voice of reason in the indusrty. A supporter and fan of everything involved with music, drummers and drumming. He was dedicated family man and a good friend and will be greatly missed.

John Riley

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member

I am saddened and shocked to learn of Bill's sudden passing. Though he's been battling for a few years, that never diminished his enthusiasim. Bill sounded a little weaker than usual when we last spoke, a couple weeks ago, but he was still making plans for the future...

Bill was a leader and voice of reason in the indusrty. A supporter and fan of everything involved with music, drummers and drumming. He was dedicated family man and a good friend and will be greatly missed.

John Riley
John, thanks for your heartful words

...and warm welcome to Drummerworld Forum

Bernhard

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber

I'm still trying to get my head around this news. Bill was one of the most kind and professional folks in the industry. His contributions will last forever.

I feel honored to have worked with him. My condolences go to his family.

Terry Branam

Derek Roddy

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I am absolutely heart broken about this. Was a hard weekend.

Nobody fault harder for me to enter the drumming community ( and Modern Drummer) .....than Bill.
I will never forget the amount of time and energy he put into every conversation we had.
He always went that extra mile for everyone it seems.

What a loss...not only to me but, the whole drumming community.
My heart and thoughts are with his family.

D.

LTNINGFan

Heartfelt condolences to his family, and the MD family as well. They've had it rough the past couple years.

Such sad news...

B

blink44

Rest in Peace Bill Miller.

ChuckSilverman

DW PRO DRUMMER
When I heard of the passing of my very good friend, I was just left speechless. Bill and I, well we go back many years. Bill helped me so much as I made an entry into the world of writing. We spoke recently.

Life, well, you just have Live Fully Each Day.

God Bless you Bill and your family. We'll all miss you.

Chuck S.