Will there be a next kind of music?

C.M. Jones

People are increasingly selfish and controlling.
While such traits are as old as humankind itself, it certainly seems that current conditions are spurring their prevalence. Our inauthentic world of keyboards, touchpads, and monitors cultivates a false sense of authority, influence, and achievement. It's a perfect recipe for the sowing of solipsism, the belief that "self" is the only entity of import. "Look at me" and "Give me all the credit" become common modes of thought. Collaboration fades into the shadows as a nuisance to be avoided, and the foundations of culture diminish to an overstocked library of one-man YouTube exhibits. Because the individual is everything, all else is negligible. If Narcissus still walked among us, the "selfie" would be his high-tech pool.

It's happened quite quickly, but its impact is impressive. Better just accept it. I've never found a time machine that works.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I’m inventing a new music as we speak which will literally be transformative and actually alter your DNA like space flight apparently. Harmonically tuned to change your genetic and epigenetic phenotype to make a better human- I’m taking things into my own hands before things implode. It was that or eliminate humanity. I don’t want to rule the world but I don’t want anyone else to either. It seems like a good idea but I thought I’d get a show of hands. Choice A musically reprogramming or Choice B human extinction and I guess Choice C Aliens get wise to our lunacy and they eliminate us before I set any plan in motion. Oh then Choice D I’m actually an alien so B and C is true, and maybe Choice E im actually sn alien and A and C is true. Then Choice F Aliens try reprogramming and then Choice J Aliens try choice F then eliminate us in frustration C. And finally Choice K none of the above. Don’t you hate these K type questions .

TMe

My guess is that there will be a widening divide between commercial, electronic music, and cultural, acoustic music. Sort of like the divide between Michelin restaurants and McDonalds.

If I'm correct, I have to wonder what that means for the future of electric guitar. Will that be a bridge between the two? Will it fade into obscurity, not really fitting in either camp? Or will it be the "folk" instrument, played by a lot of people but with only a tiny audience?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
The good news for us drummers is that we hit things with sticks and our hands. The most primitive form of music.
And people still enjoy seeing and hearing us hit things with sticks and our hands;
even though the industry has been trying to replace us with electronics.

someguy01

While such traits are as old as humankind itself, it certainly seems that current conditions are spurring their prevalence. Our inauthentic world of keyboards, touchpads, and monitors cultivates a false sense of authority, influence, and achievement. It's a perfect recipe for the sowing of solipsism, the belief that "self" is the only entity of import. "Look at me" and "Give me all the credit" become common modes of thought. Collaboration fades into the shadows as a nuisance to be avoided, and the foundations of culture diminish to an overstocked library of one-man YouTube exhibits. Because the individual is everything, all else is negligible. If Narcissus still walked among us, the "selfie" would be his high-tech pool.

It's happened quite quickly, but its impact is impressive. Better just accept it. I've never found a time machine that works.
Couple all that with a majority of society spending the last year by themselves. Exponential growth of self absorption happened.

prokofi5

People aren't anymore self centered than they've ever been. I can't count how many collabs I've seen from people all over the world the last year. Live music is happening again and I haven't seen a single solo act advertised. Because of the internet we might see more work by individuals but that isn't the sign of doom and gloom for music groups. And their have always been musicians who wanted absolute creative control. Buddy Rich, Barbara Streisand, Donald Fagan, and Joe Zawinul all have reps for being super controlling. Peter Erskine told a story about being scolded by Fagan for increasing his count off tempo 1 BPM.

prokofi5

As far as what the new type of music will be it's impossible to know what will click but it always seems to be one of three things...pushing an existing genre further (faster, more complex, etc), mixing genres, or bringing something from the past back. It's hard to know instrument-wise too since drums and other instruments are starting to be used less in surprising genres like grindcore but used more in others like hip hop. I wouldn't want to bet on what's coming.

C.M. Jones

People aren't anymore self centered than they've ever been.
I acknowledge, in my introductory clause, that self-centeredness has always existed:

"While such traits are as old as humankind itself . . ."

At the same time, substantial changes to the way we "interact," and thus orient ourselves to each other, have, in my opinion, been instrumental in promoting the tendencies previously cited. Humans are heavily influenced by environment, and human environments, chiefly in the industrialized world, have become increasingly contained. As a result, focus on self, and the cherry-picking of reality that follows, blossoms -- or decays, depending upon one's outlook -- into a new standard of living.

People are doing more things alone than they ever have before. They're also using more technology than ever, which conforms quite conveniently to the state of being alone. I predict more musicians will be making music alone in the future and will be incorporating various technologies to do so. The efficacy of my prophesy remains to be seen.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Music is very emotional in many ways. We can easily pick a song and assign an emotion to it. We have music for love, hate, anger, jealousy, lust, pride, happy, sad, etc.

If you want to be the next biggest thing, I feel like the idea is to somehow appeal to an emotion in a different way than already done, or one that hasn't been appealed to yet (good luck with that).

Metal appeals to the angry, hateful, powerful side of emotion. So does gangsta rap. If one can figure out how to appeal to specific emotions, but do it as differently as the above two examples, you might be on to something.

It wont be as easy as putting two already existing things together. Death metal love songs, that's still death metal. It must be more involved than that.

Doraemon

Isn’t K-POP the big and popular thing? I haven’t listened yet but hear about it. It may be a “foreign/international” language/music kind of thing. I am not a native Spanish speaker but have been listening to mainly Spanish language music for over 20 years.
I think it's more likely that nations and ethnicities will disappear in the future and we'll all be a mix.
Metal appeals to the angry, hateful, powerful side of emotion.
I rarely ever felt that way about metal. I mostly find it uplifting and relaxing.

Maybe if (friendly) aliens visited us, they could bring some new instruments and styles. There are already people playing the Vulcan harp, lol.
We could also ditch the diatonic scale.

C.M. Jones

As soon as they perfect the AI Electronic Singer, drummers will all go out and buy one. 😉
While I doubt the role of the "real drummer" will slip into extinction, I do think we'll see a reduction in opportunities. To an extent, evidence of that trajectory is present today.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

If you want to be the next biggest thing, I feel like the idea is to somehow appeal to an emotion in a different way than already done, or one that hasn't been appealed to yet (good luck with that).
Or maybe even better, create an emotion that doesn't exist. As Oscar Wilde writes, "Life imitates art far more than art imitates life." Patent that new emotion and you'll be retiring in luxury.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Or maybe even better, create an emotion that doesn't exist. As Oscar Wilde writes, "Life imitates art far more than art imitates life." Patent that new emotion and you'll be retiring in luxury.
Ooh that's good. How does that work? Will a new form of emotion self manifest as needed? If I make it, they will come?