Will binder clips hurt my kick drum hoops?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I need to mount my set lists on top of my kick, and I'm thinking about using those large binder clips. Will they hurt the painted kick drum hoops?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
That seems like a good idea. I do not think they would damage the hoops, but I do not know for certain. Peace and goodwill.

DrumDoug

I’ve seen cheaper plastic ones. Those would be less likely than the metal ones. Wooden clothes pins might work better as far as keeping your hoops undamanged.

Mike_b

If it's just one sheet, do you use your floor tom a lot? If not just rest it on there. I learnt my first page of breakbeats on there (snare hi hat kick)

harryconway

Platinum Member
I need to mount my set lists on top of my kick, and I'm thinking about using those large binder clips. Will they hurt the painted kick drum hoops?
I'd try using those large plastic potato chip bag clips.
....... or put it on the floor where you can see it.
Yep. That's what I did. Written in sharpie ...... about 10-12 songs on a 10x8.5 inch sheet of paper. Tapes it to the floor with duct or gaffer tape.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The bigger the binder clip, the harder they squeeze. To be honest, I cant even keep the small ones on my nipples for more than a few seconds. I imagine the big ones would be hell on curved, painted wood.

felonious69

Are the lugs or the lug screw magnetic?
I have the 4" round magnetic parts tray from Harbor Freight stuck to the leg of my snare stand, down by the pedals. It has a drum key and a quick spin drum key in it, both of which stick to the magnet.
You could use a magnet (and a piece of cloth/tape to prevent any scratching). Maybe laminate the paper with clear tape to stiffen it some or a thin carboard backing.

(?)

Attachments

• Magnet.jpg
    Magnet.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 10

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Gaff tape might be your best option. It doesn't leave any sort of residue like duct tape or Scotch tape. Any vendor that caters to film and video production will sell the good stuff.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I forgot to mention considering a small Pony Clamp. Ultra secure and the vinyl sleeves offer great protection. Most hardware stores sell these.

PonyClampLoRes.jpg

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would use some sort of foam padding inside the clip before putting it on the hoop.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I sometimes stick a setlist onto the bass drum using blu-tak. I apply 2 or 3 small lumps to the aluminium rim of the drum head, not to the actual drumshell or hoop. Saves floor space when I’m set up in a corner.

Thin Shell

I have one of these and a piece of corrugated plastic sign board. It clamps to any stand and then I clamp the set list and the sign board to the big clamp like a clipboard. It works great and you can easily adjust it to any angle. I usually clip it to a cymbal stand.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have one of these and a piece of corrugated plastic sign board. It clamps to any stand and then I clamp the set list and the sign board to the big clamp like a clipboard. It works great and you can easily adjust it to any angle. I usually clip it to a cymbal stand.

Wow this is pretty cool !! Thanks.

I must be an old school idiot, I use one of those very thin elementary school music stands.
But I need large print on a regular sheet of paper so I can see it.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Inspired by this thread, I’ve softened a bulldog/binder clip by lining each ‘jaw’ with a thin strip of gaffa tape, and I’m going to try it at today’s gig - clipping the setlist onto the bass drum.